Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Official KSL Bitch AND Bitch about people bitching about KSL thread

Apparently, people love to complain about how their favorite ski resort is mismanaged.

And, apparently, I love to complain about people complaining about how their favorite ski resort is managed.

So, here is a thread to contain all such chatter and negativity.

When are the waterslides going to be finished?

I heard as soon as the construction crews can find parking.

Can we bitch about Placer and Nevada counties doing nothing on their end as far as transportation goes, or just KSL? Seems like they should be working with the resorts to come up with a solution.

Yeah, I won't be holding my breath.

Oh yeah! Anything related to people's Tahoe woes.

What about Placer county's transportation? Lack of maintenance before/during/after snow?

How about putting a useless bus station in 64 acres ? Not only a long way from any Tahoe City businesses, it was put on land that was set aside for recreation. Also, the soon to start construction on not 1, but 3 round abouts and a highway bypass that won't alleviate west shore traffic because it originates in town, not the intersection. I'd like to blame ksl on that too but I'll settle for placer I guess

The train underpass would be a spendy endeavor to widen the road wouldn't be cheap either. I don't see it ever getting better.
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    The train underpass would be a spendy endeavor to widen the road wouldn't be cheap either. I don't see it ever getting better.
    Agreed - especially after they just spent all that money on the pedestrian tunnel next to the road. It would literally take the Olympics to make it happen.

"The mouse hole" we put in a bid for that, I was sad we lost it. It was any interesting design.
    Build the tunnel and then insert it-
    Hello darkness my old friend

I would like to see a ski train run routinely from the Bay Area to Truckee on weekends with one stop in Sac. In Truckee there could be train connection to Squaw/Alpine and Northstar.

As an interim solution a train from Truckee to Squaw/Alpine would be nice. You could just Uber to and from the train station.

Nah, let's just build more condos on the hill and close the mountain to outside traffic on the weekends.

Bring back the monorail around the lake plan!

can some local educate me on that rant they posted on their fb page a couple of days ago? I did not investigate just happened to stumble upon their post the other day

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    can some local educate me on that rant they posted on their fb page a couple of days ago? I did not investigate just happened to stumble upon their post the other day
    http://unofficialalpine.com/?p=12334 make sure to read the comments
    personally I have no problem with KSL censoring their FB page--it's their page. There are plenty of other places to rant, obviously. If they are really pulling passes that's another issue, but the people who claim to have passes pulled or know someone who had a pass pulled aren't saying what happened, so until there's more information I would be skeptical about that.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    I heard as soon as the construction crews can find parking.
    Just here to give the finger to KSL and Placer county gov't, but that right there is funny!
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Interesting range of comments.
    Glad I find the smaller places around Tahoe more to my liking.

I do miss the 99$ spring pass at Alpine. I feel fortunate that I was able to experience a couple nice years where they were open well into may. Maybe June?
    Anyway. Its over.

I still remember my first ski days at Squaw. it seemed so big, in 1970 when I was 10
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

One of things that is doing in late spring skiing is warming--not much fun when it doesn't feeze at night. That and the fact that KSL seems not to understand that AM, with a lot of terrain on all aspects, is much better place to follow the sun than Squaw.

From the Squaw blog re Silverado
    http://squawalpine.com/explore/blog/silverado-update
    Lots of excuses, non of them good. We all know Silvy can be opened within a day of a big dump. (First time I rode it was the day after 5 feet of fresh, they dropped the ropes about one. First year it was open.)
    I think we can count on KSL using Joe Zuiches death as an excuse for every manner of operational problem or delay for the rest of this season and perhaps beyond, which is shameful.
    The one excuse that would have made sense is that they aren't allowed to use hand charges yet, but since they chose not to use that one I have to assume they can use charges. Anyone know different?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Lots of excuses, non of them good. We all know Silvy can be opened within a day of a big dump. (First time I rode it was the day after 5 feet of fresh, they dropped the ropes about one. First year it was open.)
    I think we can count on KSL using Joe Zuiches death as an excuse for every manner of operational problem or delay for the rest of this season and perhaps beyond, which is shameful.
    The one excuse that would have made sense is that they aren't allowed to use hand charges yet, but since they chose not to use that one I have to assume they can use charges. Anyone know different?
    PM Trump, he might be able to remove federal regulatory oversight of avalanche control programs
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

There was chatter in the Tahoe thread that it was closed for a Warren Miller film shoot last weekend. For their sake, I hope they did it on Saturday. Morning.

Wow, they are SO full of shit. We've all seen Silverado open with a lot less snow than there was in the middle of January before we got several more feet on top of all that. Do they really think word of the WM shoot isn't going to get around?

Quote Originally Posted by Dromontana View Post
    Can we add bitching about how an avalanche center is run to the list?
    ?? Are you referring to SAC? No complaints from me - they do a fantastic job.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post
    There was chatter in the Tahoe thread that it was closed for a Warren Miller film shoot last weekend. For their sake, I hope they did it on Saturday. Morning.
    Wouldn't surprise me if that were true, but looking at it on Sunday from top of Broken I didn't notice tracks. And it looked as good as I've ever seen it. Word I got from a patroller was that it takes time to do control work, and with an incoming storm it probably wouldn't open for a while. Again, this was on Sunday. Like five days after the last storm, and four days before the next. Something doesn't smell right...
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

I think KSL doesn't understand that the word "operations" exists in "mountain operations." If run a serious operation, you do not have single point of failures like "only one or two guys can do this critical task." What this tells me about KSL is that:

1. They don't consider opening Silverado in at timely manner a critical task. For a mountain that became famous because of the expert terrain they offer this does not seem like a smart business decision. In fact, Squaw's large amount expert terrain is what gives them a competitive advantage over Northstar or Sugar Bowl.

2. They consider opening Silverado a high priority but suck at mountain operations.

My hunch is that the truth is closer to #2, but I can see a strong case for #1 too. What do you guys think?

I dunno I'm personally always pretty grateful for the concise prose and thoughtful insights I find in the local news website's comments section.

So, poking around on the UnofficialAlpine site, it looks like there were actual instances of passes being pulled for FB posts, and one of the pullees is contemplating a lawsuit (scroll down: http://unofficialalpine.com/?p=12334). While that's an interesting approach (not sure $899 is worth litigating...), Squaw's going to get in some trouble when it tries to justify pulling a pass for disparaging remarks. The pass waiver agreement specifies that management can pull a pass for any reason (cleverly skirting the California law that prohibits non-disparagement clauses in consumer contracts - http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/13-14/..._chaptered.pdf), but it wouldn't take much to show that the actual practice is evidence of an unlawful contract. Put a couple revoked passholders together (woohoo class action!) and that's a really bad PR lawsuit.