Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    It's time to revive this bitch thread. Those bitches and butches at Placer County rubber-stamped the fuckin' Base To Base Gondola between Squaw and Alpine...the final Board approval was unanimous. Just another little annoyance....fucking eyesore all over the Alpine Meadows valley, an eyesore to people hiking Five Lakes, or annoying to people that want to pretend that Granite Chief Wilderness is not 200 feet from electrified transportation. And that it supports and encourages the development of Whitewolf...more homes for billionaires...just what we needed...because we need more jets and helicopters landing at the Truckee airport. I hate that I live 100 feet from the Placer County line so I can't even vote one of those fuckers out.

You can bet next year..."we have to close Alpine Meadows early to build a fucking useless gondola".

Okay, bitching done.
    Looks like Forest Service approved as well, but alignment 4, the easternmost.
    https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...s-14120412.php
    https://www.sierrawatch.org/forest-s...dola-decision/

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Is Sierra Watch going to litigate those approvals/EIR?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Doubt it. They should use their resources to continue fighting the village. The gondola is a meh, whatever, in comparison.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

hi idgaf about tahoe, i hear that place has been a shitshow for years. since the world revolves around Jackson Hole, does anyone have inside info as it relates to Alterra (KSL)'s relationship to JH? anyone who just quit a middle management job@JH with juicy gossip? shits too nice right now with biking and fishing, help us start bitching

Nope, but you can be sure we'll be crowding your tram line next season with OUR IKON PASSES

TJ - personally, I agree. Village is a much bigger deal. But I bet SW litigates both.
    sproing!

FS gave preliminary approval, final approval still pending.
    The AM residents are unhappy about the existing Gazex exploders, which protect the road they use to access their houses. Now Squaw has agreed to eliminate 8 exploders that would protect the gondola. Squaw says exploders reduce risk to patrollers; I don't know if this is true or the real motive for placing them. If it is true and given 3 patrollers killed in the last 10 years doing snow safety, eliminating the exploders to please the AM residents, most of whom I assume ski at AM, seems like a bad move. Not that I'm a gondola fan.

Official KSL Bitch AND Bitch about people bitching about KSL thread

I’m going to be honest... I will absolutely use this gondola and had a few days last season where I wish it already existed. Yes, if I was in charge there’s other things I’d do first, but just saying.

New hot wheels should be great!
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    FS gave preliminary approval, final approval still pending.
    The AM residents are unhappy about the existing Gazex exploders, which protect the road they use to access their houses. Now Squaw has agreed to eliminate 8 exploders that would protect the gondola. Squaw says exploders reduce risk to patrollers; I don't know if this is true or the real motive for placing them. If it is true and given 3 patrollers killed in the last 10 years doing snow safety, eliminating the exploders to please the AM residents, most of whom I assume ski at AM, seems like a bad move. Not that I'm a gondola fan.
    With Gazex they can remote pop em many times during a storm. Smaller avalanches result, less risk... a great solution. Stupid complaint by the homeowners IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    With Gazex they can remote pop em many times during a storm. Smaller avalanches result, less risk... a great solution. Stupid complaint by the homeowners IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    In theory. Except when the gazex gets buried and becomes unusable...which happened.

Sent from my DRA-LX3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Still the gazex saved lives

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

OG, where does it say that Squaw agreed to remove 8 Gazex? afaik, that would be all 8 on AM road: https://squawalpine.com/explore/blog/18-new-gazex

I think the complaint is from the homeowners is that it sounded like a massive bomb, and it's going off right above their houses. I wouldn't like it either.

Then again, I do like accessing skiing and (better yet) 'trollers not dying.

If you wanna get dorky, here's what the gold-heeled patricians of Alpine Shreadows think: https://www.alpinemeadowsestatesasso...-alpine-valley
    sproing!

Gazex is a pretty good tool for continually triggering new snow avalanches.
    One problem with them is that since they are fixed, they harden the snow in the vicinity, and can lead to a false sense of security when hunting deep slab.

On a plus note they make a pretty good bivy. The larger exploders make a romantic getaway for two!
    You just unplug the sparking unit to avoid a wake up call...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

OG, where does it say that Squaw agreed to remove 8 Gazex? afaik, that would be all 8 on AM road: https://squawalpine.com/explore/blog/18-new-gazex

I think the complaint is from the homeowners is that it sounded like a massive bomb, and it's going off right above their houses. I wouldn't like it either.

Then again, I do like accessing skiing and (better yet) 'trollers not dying.

If you wanna get dorky, here's what the gold-heeled patricians of Alpine Shreadows think: https://www.alpinemeadowsestatesasso...-alpine-valley
    sorry. I forgot to attach the article link I meant to include. SQAM agreed to remove 8 exploders from he gondola plan. They are not planning to remove existing exploders AFAIK.
    https://www.sierrasun.com/news/place...-base-gondola/

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post

On a plus note they make a pretty good bivy. The larger exploders make a romantic getaway for two!
    You just unplug the sparking unit to avoid a wake up call...
    Ha!

QST 106 with with shift for $970. Really

And....lawsuit filed. By the Granite Chief Wilderness Protection League (who??) https://protectgranitechief.wordpres...0ugL-iYAMV1ENo
    sproing!

And....lawsuit filed. By the Granite Chief Wilderness Protection League (who??) https://protectgranitechief.wordpres...0ugL-iYAMV1ENo
    their ksl darth vader photo made me laugh.

according to the writ, Granite Chief Wilderness Protection League "has its principal place of business in Truckee, California, in Placer County"

it looks like that ngo has at least one heavy-hitter

the related Resource Renewal Institute has an interesting website

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    their ksl darth vader photo made me laugh.

according to the writ, Granite Chief Wilderness Protection League "has its principal place of business in Truckee, California, in Placer County"

it looks like that ngo has at least one heavy-hitter

the related Resource Renewal Institute has an interesting website
    Interesting comment: "As soon as the Gondola is approved across Granite Chief is allowed, that’s the only connection the Ski Resorts need to have the gondola continue to Twin Peaks, Barker Pass and then Ellis Peak to Homewood Mtn Resort. They’ve been trying for years. As great of a skiing adventure as it may become, it will come at a great cost of disturbance of back country hiking and snow shoeing and so many adventure parks. Homewood Mtn Resort is placing on the North side, the Mid-Mountain Chalet which we know will have the finest restaurant open winter/summer for a great adventure experience. Then you can ski from Squaw to HMR, I can just imagine all the adventure parks that they could develop. What happened to John Muir’s way of love of the enviroment. It will destroy what is precious about Lake Tahoe just for the few to make billions. This cannot be allowed!"

It's a plot to create an interconnect to Homewood? BS. This is the kind of paranoia and overreach that gives us environmentalists a bad name. The GCWPL talks about the gondola destroying pristine wilderness, when it is not in the Wilderness. Hikers to the GCW are already exposed ski infrastructure in SV, AM and White Wolf. Likewise the village expansion is described by Sierra Watch as destroying a pristine mountain valley. People who have never seen either of these places believe this BS. I'm not a fan of either the gondola and the village and there are good reasons to oppose the village in particular--or to use it to leverage major mass transit support out of Alterra, but desecration of the wilderness is not one of them. That ship has sailed.

If people want to protect wilderness how about using the money to lobby for a Castle Peak Wilderness?

I'm sick of a rich person or a handful of them funding lawsuits like this. If they want to use their money to protect the land do it the right way--buy the White Wolf property from Troy Caldwell, maybe by donating to the Truckee-Donner Land Trust for that purpose, the way Bill Hewlett killed the Coldstream Canyon ski area years ago.

Agreed, OG. First I knew of that Coldstream resort - it was planned to be 12,000 acres! https://www.sierrasun.com/news/parks...ure-debated-2/
    sproing!

Agreed, OG. First I knew of that Coldstream resort - it was planned to be 12,000 acres! https://www.sierrasun.com/news/parks...ure-debated-2/
    The other planned resort was up by Independence Lake. I believe that was killed over environmental concerns.

I don’t think it’s a conspiracy, but I can still remember that when Alpine and Homewood were owned by the same developer there were a LOT of people talking about the idea of a gondola connecting the two.

Independence Lake was a Disney plan, interestingly enough. Similar to the Mineral King idea.

meter-man, I have a copy of this book you can borrow. She goes into the history of the plan to connect lifts from the interstate all the way to Homewood.

The rumor of the AM-->HW gondy was going around during the JMA era 15 years ago too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

They should keep these plans in the library. Resort reconstruction and expansion after the basin and Truckee river canyon burn will be simple.

Y’all know there’s planning for fees for tourists to enter the basin by passenger vehicle?

Official KSL Bitch AND Bitch about people bitching about KSL thread

“The rumor of the AM-->HW gondy was going around during the JMA era 15 years ago too.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that’s what I was referring to. Back when JMA first got control of both, someone mentioned the connect idea to me and I said there’s no fuckin way that is possible or would ever happen. Then I kept hearing it and from smart people that should know better than listen to some bs, so whether it was feasible or or not, the idea was out there and likely had some actual planning behind it

The talk about connecting AM to Homewood was just talk, never any actual plan. There was planning for a lift to the head of Ward Canyon (High T), that never went anywhere. Nowadays the idea is ludicrous--the money is in building luxury condos.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Y’all know there’s planning for fees for tourists to enter the basin by passenger vehicle?
    Heh. Awesome.

P.S.- Capital Public Radio's Tahoeland podcast is up if anybody is interested. I've been meaning to listen. Pretty sure TGR's 2_1_3 is in one episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.