Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 821
  1. #176
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    lake level
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    I never said KSL or anyone wanted to put a lift on wind hold. I said that the fact that only beginner terrain opened at both Squaw/Alpine says a lot about their DEDICATION to get terrain open.

    Now, I don't know the ins and outs of what it takes to open terrain but I am no dummy either. But I do know that a big part of dedication to getting terrain open is making sure that you have enough resources(people and equipment) to do so.

    I don't expect KT22, Granite Summit or Sherwood to be running today but are you saying that it would be impossible for Squaw/Alpine to open any more lifts. No way that Subway and Meadow could be running at Alpine? How about Kangaroo, Roundhouse, Hot Wheels, or Yellow?

    Can someone who is an expert on opening the mountain explain to a dummy like me why it was impossible to run those lifts today?
    Not an expert, but one thing to condider - today the avalanche danger is high. If patrol can't do control work, those other lifts are vulnerable to slides from above. Not saying that is the case today, but I have seen many, many days where the mountain was entirely shut down going back at least the fifteen seasons I've been around. That's just the reality of Alpine (and Squaw). Yeah, there's plenty of days that ksl needs to get their shit together, but wind gusts all day well over 100mph for fucks sake. What do you think you were missing out on today?
    I really lack the words to compliment myself today. - Alberto Tomba

  2. #177
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This is not the time to blame KSL. When Northstar closes the backside you know things are fucked. Don't bother trying to document or compare every little thing- you're going to drive yourself crazy. Point is, if you've been skiing Squaw / Alpine for several years or longer the differences in operations are pretty obvious and there's no point in trying to prove it.
    I agree that today is not the best example of poor KSL operations (they have given us much better examples recently) but I still think they should have ran more lifts at Alpine. OK, enough KSL bitching.

    I also want to say that I am blaming KSL management for the issues not the employees who work there.

  3. #178
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    OK, enough KSL bitching.
    That is literally the title of this thread.

  4. #179
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,239
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Not an expert, but one thing to condider - today the avalanche danger is high. If patrol can't do control work, those other lifts are vulnerable to slides from above. Not saying that is the case today, but I have seen many, many days where the mountain was entirely shut down going back at least the fifteen seasons I've been around. That's just the reality of Alpine (and Squaw). Yeah, there's plenty of days that ksl needs to get their shit together, but wind gusts all day well over 100mph for fucks sake. What do you think you were missing out on today?
    The avalanche advisory is specifically not designed to predict or describe conditions within ski resort boundaries. And as to what he may have been missing out on please see tahoebc's post above, minus the dog.
    Maybe it's financially related. Maybe it's related to the number of staff deaths in recent years as well as the Red Dog fatality in 2008. They just don't seem to have the 'don't stop trying until the lifts are spinning' attitude that other resorts have. To be fair, when you do your best to open your resort, and then someone dies inbounds that is very negative feedback. When a seasoned patroller is doing his rounds and a slide releases above him higher than previously recorded and he dies that is negative feedback. And the recent incident absolutely must have some effect too. Remember there is not only money involved in the decisions made at the management level, but there is also the certain realization that their decisions can decide lives and they have made wrong decisions in the past (hindsight 20/20). Other resorts don't have that hanging over them. It's entirely possible, and certainly understandable, if they are a little gun shy.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  5. #180
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,239
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    That is literally the title of this thread.
    the title of this thread, literally is 'Official KSL Bitch AND Bitch About People Bitching About KSL Thread'
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  6. #181
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    The avalanche advisory is specifically not designed to predict or describe conditions within ski resort boundaries. And as to what he may have been missing out on please see tahoebc's post above, minus the dog.
    Maybe it's financially related. Maybe it's related to the number of staff deaths in recent years as well as the Red Dog fatality in 2008. They just don't seem to have the 'don't stop trying until the lifts are spinning' attitude that other resorts have. To be fair, when you do your best to open your resort, and then someone dies inbounds that is very negative feedback. When a seasoned patroller is doing his rounds and a slide releases above him higher than previously recorded and he dies that is negative feedback. And the recent incident absolutely must have some effect too. Remember there is not only money involved in the decisions made at the management level, but there is also the certain realization that their decisions can decide lives and they have made wrong decisions in the past (hindsight 20/20). Other resorts don't have that hanging over them. It's entirely possible, and certainly understandable, if they are a little gun shy.
    Good points.

  7. #182
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    the title of this thread, literally is 'Official KSL Bitch AND Bitch About People Bitching About KSL Thread'
    Oh jeeze...

  8. #183
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boonville/Truckee, CA
    Posts
    427
    Today was not a great comparison but many days in January were. At least Sugarbowl had corrals and staff at Disney until about 11. If the wind died down im sure it would have spun. Shit they opened Lincoln a few Fridays ago at 3pm. Staff and patrol working all day to deliver the goods!

    I cant recall a single storm day in the last 9 years (not a pass holder this year at ksl) i rode alpine roundhouse did not run, delayed here and there but it always seemed to spin. Yet now its the new normal?

    Aline bowl chair is a upper mountain chair not susceptible to ridge gusts as it does not top out at the ridge. Why has it been utilized so little (as a midweek non holiday rider i have never even ridden it (in 9 seasons) to only alleviate holiday crowds?

    If a lift you list on your "about the mountain" stats runs less than 14 days a season (arbitrary/negotiable) no resort should get to claim it towards total lift count. If it access additional acreage that should not count either.
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

  9. #184
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,051
    I think I've heard, "I wish they'd run ABC" about a few hundred times in the last several years at Alpine, including from confused tourists.

  10. #185
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    135
    I'm not real familiar with what the norm is at alpine, but if a lot has changed in from last season to this season, I wonder if it has to so with the fact that they have a new mountain manager. I can't remember who they hired, but I could see that make a huge shift quickly in the day to day

  11. #186
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,751
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrmjoe View Post
    I cant recall a single storm day in the last 9 years (not a pass holder this year at ksl) i rode alpine roundhouse did not run, delayed here and there but it always seemed to spin. Yet now its the new normal?


    If a lift you list on your "about the mountain" stats runs less than 14 days a season (arbitrary/negotiable) no resort should get to claim it towards total lift count. If it access additional acreage that should not count either.
    I've seen plenty of days when Roundhouse was closed for wind--pre KSL. One time it closed about noon. I was literally the only person left on the hill. Great powder skiing between the groomers, no other people in sight, lift empty and stopped. Very spooky.

    As far as lift count, carpets should definitely not count.

  12. #187
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    370
    Well, looks like someone over at the SquAlpine twitter account is following advice in this thread to post wind speeds when also announcing lift/mountain closures.

    https://twitter.com/squawalpine/stat...17460078686208

  13. #188
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boonville/Truckee, CA
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I've seen plenty of days when Roundhouse was closed for wind--pre KSL. One time it closed about noon. I was literally the only person left on the hill. Great powder skiing between the groomers, no other people in sight, lift empty and stopped. Very spooky.

    As far as lift count, carpets should definitely not count.
    Good background to know, just not my experience. Im sure there are folks with many more years and many more days at alpine than i. I will admit to mostly going when there was a chance anything else would open but roundhouse which i am sure filters my experience. I almost never ride when huge east winds are blowing which im sure effects roundhouse more than sw or w winds which are generally what happens during storms.

    I averaged 30 days a year there until the drought and my son were born. The month of January and tue-thur the rest of the season are my normal windows to enjoy inbounds pow.
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

  14. #189
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    P-tex, CA
    Posts
    8,196
    Went to Sugar Bowl yesterday and it was howling...talking to patrol they wanted to get as much open as possible but the weather was rough yesterday. At least Jerome was open for fast windbuff laps that reset practically each run...that and a tasty pulled pork sandwich while trying to dry off my gloves.

  15. #190
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,262
    Keep an eye to for my thing #3 (name's Cooper) when you're at SB. He's there every day but Monday usually with the free ride team unless they're elsewhere for a comp. Bright yellow Flylow Jacket, Blizzard Cochises. Tell him you're one of my internet buddies.

    Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Went to Sugar Bowl yesterday and it was howling...talking to patrol they wanted to get as much open as possible but the weather was rough yesterday. At least Jerome was open for fast windbuff laps that reset practically each run...that and a tasty pulled pork sandwich while trying to dry off my gloves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

  16. #191
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post
    Well, looks like someone over at the SquAlpine twitter account is following advice in this thread to post wind speeds when also announcing lift/mountain closures.

    https://twitter.com/squawalpine/stat...17460078686208
    Nice. And it's better for them to be closed then claim to be "open" with just magic carpets running. Totally agree with old goat that magic carpets shouldn't count as lifts.
    Last edited by hercule33; 02-07-2017 at 05:40 PM.

  17. #192
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrmjoe View Post
    Today was not a great comparison but many days in January were. At least Sugarbowl had corrals and staff at Disney until about 11. If the wind died down im sure it would have spun. Shit they opened Lincoln a few Fridays ago at 3pm. Staff and patrol working all day to deliver the goods!
    Here is a free tip to KSL: Show your dedication to getting lifts open by acting like Sugar Bowl. Were there corrals yesterday next to Roundhouse, Yellow or Kangaroo with staff and patrol trying to deliver the goods? That kind of behavior creates a lot of good will with your customers.
    Last edited by hercule33; 02-07-2017 at 12:48 PM.

  18. #193
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    3,491
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrmjoe View Post
    Apline bowl chair is a upper mountain chair not susceptible to ridge gusts as it does not top out at the ridge. Why has it been utilized so little (as a midweek non holiday rider i have never even ridden it (in 9 seasons) to only alleviate holiday crowds?
    I was one of the operators for alpine bowl chair 2008-2010. We spun it midweek all the time. I don't remember if we ever spun it with Summit closed though. The patrol shack is in the summit building so you might need summit running to safely open ABC.

    Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post
    Well, looks like someone over at the SquAlpine twitter account is following advice in this thread to post wind speeds when also announcing lift/mountain closures.

    https://twitter.com/squawalpine/stat...17460078686208
    I like that information. But who is the jackass retweeting, calling bullshit, posting some random valley level weather forecast when squaw posted data from a weatherstation at 8800'. As much as I believe KSL is milking the closures, they wouldn't fake data from a weatherstation that any of us could look up....
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  19. #194
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I like that information. But who is the jackass retweeting, calling bullshit, posting some random valley level weather forecast when squaw posted data from a weatherstation at 8800'.
    Someone who tweets all of their Epic Pass rad merit badges. https://twitter.com/klasski?lang=en

  20. #195
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,751
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I was one of the operators for alpine bowl chair 2008-2010. We spun it midweek all the time. I don't remember if we ever spun it with Summit closed though.
    ABC ran a lot during the drought when there wasn't any snow at the top of summit to run it, and just enough to run ABC. But I don't think that's what you were talking about ; )

  21. #196
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    486
    WHY ISN'T SQUAW OPEN TODAY????????

  22. #197
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    WHY ISN'T SQUAW OPEN TODAY????????
    KSL was too busy manipulating wind sensors

  23. #198
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,751
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    WHY ISN'T SQUAW OPEN TODAY????????
    For a guy who doesn't like bitching about KSL you sure do a lot of bitching.

  24. #199
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    84
    This isn't the thread to be bitching about people bitching about people bitching about KSL.

    Please note the thread title and take that nonsense somewhere else.

  25. #200
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Lake Tahoe
    Posts
    147
    Anyone who would want to be out skiing at Squaw or Alpine today, needs to lay off the 420. It is flat nasty here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •