Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by guermo View Post
    You guys should see today's lines! I've got one run in at 11:20. Ultimate shit show again.
    Lmao, how is roundhouse closed due to wind (along with subway, hot wheels, yellow, kangaroo)? That's just utter incompetence.

Is that today??!!^^

From 2000-2008 Squaw midweek passes were approx $1,000 and were good for ZERO Saturdays and Sundays.

Full passes were approx $1,500 and were good every day of the year.

Alpine passes were completely separate and were slightly less expensive, but competitive.

Those were the good ol' days, and they ain't never comin' back.

EDIT: KT also ran more than 99% of the time once it opened

Official KSL Bitch AND Bitch about people bitching about KSL thread

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Is that today??!!^^
    Yup, taken at 11:30.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Is that today??!!^^
    Sugar Bowl is able to run both Disney and Lincoln, but Alpine can't turn a single lift? If you were in the mood to give them the benefit of the doubt, is there something unusual about the wind direction?

Didn't make it up this weekend but it does appear everything but Vista opened at KW...how they get the weather exposed backside open at KW and not a beginner lift at Alpine is nuts.

Since Sugar Bowl has been offering nice storm skiing, I'm going to rally and and go there Monday...otherwise I kick myself for not skiing. And plus, the damn kids will be in school...yay!

Quote Originally Posted by greatjones View Post
    I'm debating about throwing the skins on to get in the singles line.

I thought skiing was a dying sport?

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Didn't make it up this weekend but it does appear everything but Vista opened at KW...how they get the weather exposed backside open at KW and not a beginner lift at Alpine is nuts.

Since Sugar Bowl has been offering nice storm skiing, I'm going to rally and and go there Monday...otherwise I kick myself for not skiing. And plus, the damn kids will be in school...yay!
    I bailed from Heavenly in the morning after I got there and the Gondola was not running. I was pretty sure the top of Kirkwood would not open. I need to have more faith in Vail.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    I thought skiing was a dying sport?
    Apparently you wait in line until you die.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

LMAO, I checked the Squaw lift status today on the app and it said that the line at KT was only 10 minutes. 10 minutes in who's fucking world, that lift line is 30 if it is a minute, good gawd. So glad I don't count on Saturdays to get my skiing in.

New theory: Wirth & his goons have been tampering with the wind sensors so that they don't have to run the lifts

But I really can't remember many days with KT running & nothing at alpine. My memory sucks though

Given how horrendous the average customer experience is becoming at Squaw, maybe lots of these people don't come back?

Could Squaw's operational deficiencies be attributed to a really low tolerance for risk? ie- if they can't make the mountain really, really safe, it doesn't open? Thus they push their operational employees harder to do more with less, and the result is slower openings (and possibly staff related accidents)? Personally, I'm more than happy to assume some of the risk they seem to try and mitigate nearly completely, but today's litigious society clearly is not.
    it'd be a lot c o o l e r if you d i d . . .

^^ I'd imagine it has less to do with society and more to do with their insurance. And we can be pretty confident in guessing they're buying the cheap shit

They've already called it off for tomorrow too.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Same here, the days Lincoln and Disney have ran where roundhouse was closed or at best top of mountain this year are staggering.
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

Quote Originally Posted by xtrmjoe View Post
    Same here, the days Lincoln and Disney have ran where roundhouse was closed or at best top of mountain this year are staggering.
    That's not unusual. Every day I've been at Sugar Bowl, and it's been many years, has been a pow day with most of the mountain open while Alpine was shut down. SB faces more north is the only thing I can think of.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Could squalpines recent lack of terrain opening have to do with limited control work during OSHA investigation? As soon as I heard about their tragic accident I suspected they would have trouble opening avy terrain which makes up a lot of both mountains profiles

Fuck no. Serious shit show this year for Squaw and Alpine. Sadly the last year for season passes for the family unless ownership changes.

That is worse than any lift line I have ever seen at Vail or Breck - and I have seen some horrendous lines

This is ridiculous. If I had a Squaw/Alpine pass I would demand a refund and if they refused I would take them to small claims court.

We should keep a running log in this thread of all the bullshit that happened at Squaw/Alpine this year from closures to misleading lift status to help those that may want to take legal action.

I am pretty sure everyone who bought a Squaw/Alpine pass this year got a lot less than they expected and they definitely got a lot less than people with competing passes.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    This is ridiculous. If I had a Squaw/Alpine pass I would demand a refund and if they refused I would take them to small claims court.
    You are everything that is wrong with the ski industry. That is a totally fucking ridiculous statement.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    That's not unusual. Every day I've been at Sugar Bowl, and it's been many years, has been a pow day with most of the mountain open while Alpine was shut down. SB faces more north is the only thing I can think of.
    I'm gonna have to disagree with this. When those lifts are running at SB then Alpine would almost always have at least roundhouse. I've never seen a day where roundhouse was closed while KT was open.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

So it looks like KSL has shut down the feed of wind data from NOAA remote sites. I guess if we don't have the data they can make up whatever data they want. Might be just a coincidence, but with how bad their day went yesterday I don't put it past them.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

I'm no fan of KSL, but seriously? They can barely spin any lifts on a busy weekend due to some unspecified reason (but it's probably not limited avalanche control work because they got KT running) so rather than telling us what's up they make up a wind hold in an attempt to cover it all up. But people on the internet start calling them out, so they go disable the remote NOAA sites to cover up the evidence? Additionally they somehow manage to keep word of whatever they're trying to cover up from leaking out through a vast network of disgruntled current and former employees?

FWIW the midmountain snotel site is still operational and was reporting sustained winds of 15-20 with gusts to 50 yesterday, but is presently 5 with gusts to 20. Curious to see what it shows today in conjunction with which lifts they run, but until shown otherwise I doubt Wirth sent Patrol Team 6 out to the NOAA site with a bunch of hand charges just to cover up their lift-op incompetency.

And by the time I finished typing this, the remote sensors appear to be back.

the sensors on slide mtn & virginia peak were also down. wirth must have sent agents to infiltrate nws reno

Let's ease up on the conspiracy theories. Those wind censors go offline all the time.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.