Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Which of you Kali snowboarder fags was at Snowbird Saturday spewing how if this was Squaw this would be open and if this was Squaw that would be open? Then when I turned around and asked why is there 25 pages on TGR of people whining about how Squaw never gets shit open you said because people on TGR are pussys and don't know what they're talking about.
    The funny part is before all that I heard you say that this was some of the best pow of the year. Didn't Squaw get like 200 feet of snow this year? IMO that pow was mediocre at best for Utah.

I know you're reading this, tell all these fine people how they're all a bunch of pussys.

Haha, those snowboarders can't be trusted...

For Tahoe, we've actually had some very light snow this year. Obviously our blower is rarely quite as light as it gets in Utah, but I consider this type of snow pretty darn fun...

Quote Originally Posted by rog'smom View Post

I know you're reading this, tell all these fine people how they're all a bunch of pussys.
    I don't know man. Tahoe's my local but I just spent 3 days in the cottonwoods. It seemed to me that patrol puts a metric fuckton of faith in skier judgement at Alta, Bird, and Solitude. Squaw won't let you ride icy death cookie express train to hell, but Alta will.

Well that's because the Cottonwoods aren't abound with bay area dipshits with no common sense. Like the ones who followed each other off a cliff like lemmings last year in Jackson.
    RAWG =

Quote Originally Posted by Phalkor View Post
    I don't know man. Tahoe's my local but I just spent 3 days in the cottonwoods. It seemed to me that patrol puts a metric fuckton of faith in skier judgement at Alta, Bird, and Solitude. Squaw won't let you ride icy death cookie express train to hell, but Alta will.

I've never encountered a safety closure at Squaw or Alpine on any run I (or anyone in their right mind) would want to ski. Guess I'm a pussy.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I've never encountered a safety closure at Squaw or Alpine on any run I (or anyone in their right mind) would want to ski. Guess I'm a pussy.
    Me either. Tahoe snow has higher water content so when it gets packed out and frozen over it's WAY worse than anything you will commonly encounter in Utah. And sometimes it can be hard to tell until you're right on top of it.

Who will get Mt. Rose?

Rawj, I'm surprised your mom was willing to share your name, let alone your handle.

Mammoth skiers...get ready for KSL's "safety holds" - ie., Chair 22 may never spin again during storm days, unless there is not even a whisper of wind.

does this invalidate the theory that KSL only wanted to own squaw for 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Phalkor View Post
    Thank God. Alta / Bird and Soli do a great job of getting complex terrain open at appropriate times . Open terrain if it's safe to not likely slide on myself or others. Why should it be closed otherwise? What does Squaw do differently ?

So, I guess KSL is here to stay?

As if Bay Area Jerry wasn't enough, say hello to LA Jerry!

Sad day for Mammoth.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    So, I guess KSL is here to stay?
    Not really. They can still build up a nice portfolio and sell it to someone else.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Not really. They can still build up a nice portfolio and sell it to someone else.
    The Crown Family is no small operation. It could be a very complex deal. Hotel rights etc.

I haven't looked at the details in any way, but in my experience there are No mergers, just acquisitions called mergers for various reasons. Someone always has more marbles than the other, i hope in this case it's Aspen

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I haven't looked at the details in any way, but in my experience there are No mergers, just acquisitions called mergers for various reasons. Someone always has more marbles than the other, i hope in this case it's Aspen
    I hope that's true. We will know the answer if Andy Wirth gets the boot this summer.

I hope that's true. We will know the answer if Andy Wirth gets the boot this summer.
    That would be very expensive. He might get a title change.

I'd give management shake up more like 12 mos.

I heard Andy Wirth is waterboarding Wooly the mammoth right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    That would be very expensive. He might get a title change.
    Yes, this is more likely. Same difference though.

This isn't going to change jack shit. I'm obviously speculating, and I obviously don't actually know what I'm talking about, but this is a consolidation play, not a play on an undervalued asset (at least with respect to Squaw/Alpine).

KSL originally bought squaw as an undervalued asset. The best ski resort in a great market area being was run like shit by some grouchy old rich lady, and they saw an opportunity to acquire an asset at less than what they valued it. They bought it at a discount, spent a bunch of money, and closed the valuation gap.

From an equity owner's perspective andy wirth and co. have been doing a bang up job. They overhauled personnel, set up a whole new marketing system, built a ski-through starbucks, and changed the entire positioning of the resort. Now visits, occupancy, daily revenues, etc. etc. etc. are all through the roof. People used to be afraid to come to squaw, now KT is the fucking jerry mecca. I'm sure they killed it this season (record pass sales and the resort was closed all winter!).

Shit like traffic is not going to get wirth fired. If anything I bet he gets a raise.

Alex was a fucking legend for what he built and for his focus on the skiing experience, but he also started from scratch, didn't have a $50mm+ capex (from the acquisition) to break even on (plus another $50mm or so post-trade), and most importantly, didn't have a bunch of fund of fund investors that have never heard of squaw valley and frankly don't give a shit about some place called silverado.

As soon as that capex is made, the entire profitability dynamics change for good. There's no way to go back to the way things were before without someone taking a $100mm hit.

Aspen is not buying squaw to come in and make it all sick again. They're not even really buying squaw at all. They're establishing a whole new company to take on vail (obviously along with KSL and however many others). Sure, maybe they staff the new company with good people that know how to sort out traffic problems or whatever, but this means squaw is under big corporate ownership. Going to be about finding that balance between minimizing costs while keeping your customers just happy enough that revenue is maximized. Getting sued because jerry got caught in an avalanche is a great way to incur costs, so don't expect them to start getting more aggressive about opening terrain anytime soon.

tl;dr: KSL goes away but we get to keep andy and jerry.
    Last edited by Robojerry; 04-12-2017 at 10:09 PM.

touche
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba