Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bmw X3 anyone?

bmw X3 anyone?

Anyone drive a X3, do you like it? My buddy owns a garage that works on BMW and thinks they are the best cars ever (opinions are like nipples, I know). He says he will work on my car if something goes wrong with it after hours but I have to bring all the beer and help him, which is fucking awesome. I have been driving one of his 530is its a 2005 with 225000 miles on it and its a fun car to drive looks and drives new. But we need something I can drive to trail heads in, and get up our shitty driveway so I'm now in one of his X3s (he has a few cars for sale) its a 2010 xDrive30i. But reading the reviews of the differences in the 1st gen X3 and the 2nd I think I would rather have a 2nd gen 35i (N55 engine) its bigger, faster, more reliable.

Anyone own one or both, which did you like better?

I hate car shopping

How's your retirement savings account doing?

bmw X3 anyone?

My wife drives a 2007 X3 and likes it. We've got about 95K on it and no major problems.

Caveat - You still need to do standard long-term BMW stuff at around 100K - update suspension, replace plastic cooling system parts, etc. Prolly good to about 200K after those are done.

1st gen X3 is like an e46 on stilts; 2nd gen is a lot like my e91 wagon as far as infotainment, engine, etc.

If you don't need a ton of ground clearance than an e91 is pretty nice and handles way better. Can prolly find one for about $18K with 50K on the odo

I have a 2011 X3 35i, n55 engine, love it! Came out of a WRX.

I've gone through 3 X5's 2008, 2011, and 2012. They drove better than any other SUV without question, were well appointed and quick. I loved owning and driving each one especially the 3.5 Turbo engines. That said each one was plagued with electrical gremlins that were incurable/undiagnosable the 11 and 12 (both new and under warranty) had problems with that gawd awful electronic transmission. Dumped em like a hot plate of steaming poo.

Search "electrical transmission poo and BMW" on here, I've posted st length about it.

And I love BMWs. Still own one.

The X3, especially depending on the year/engine you get shares many things with the X5's - including that horrible transmission. And as with any BMW, the modern ones are meant to survive until the warranty period ends, right at 60k miles. After that you had better be comfortable paying for annoying but essential parts that were made from plastic when they should have been made from steel. You're either ok with this because you love driving the car or it will annoy the shit out of you.
    I still call it The Jake.

Yes, have driven one. No, I didn't particularly like it. Much prefer a fully loaded Subaru Outback.

My uncle has an X5. Waaaay better ride. Obviously waaaay more expensive too. IMO X3 is overpriced, and kind of meh.
    Uncle has complained about the BMW service experience. Slow, and as mentioned above, expensive once warranty is no longer in effect. But it is a sweet ride, and nice to drive.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Here's what I'm talking about. James May says it better than I could, even though he's talking about a completely different BM gearbox. Doesn't matter. No matter how wonderful the X5's were to drive 90% of the time, the other 10% when this crap was happening was beyond infuriating.

The slushbox on my 335 is the thing of dreams. The electro-crap of the new X's; not so much.

I have a 2016 x3. I used to have a 335 that was way more fun to drive. This fits the family and is still pretty fun. The media center in it is quirky but that's not a big deal.

X3s are for chicks

I was going to say hairdressers car....don't slam the ladies. Good luck on the maintenance bill.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    X3s are for chicks

The newer X3 is a fwd-based platform right? Very different than the previous versions with the longish engine bay and minimal interior room. I haven't paid too much attention but I think car & driver rated the newer one highly vs the competition....but not vs a Macan. More like 'other CUVs that are ok to drive and practical' vs sporty n shit.

Pretty sure you're thinking of the X1.

The X3's engine is still longitudinal.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    X3s are for chicks
    Phoebe's car in 'Charmed' so at least kick ass chicks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Pretty sure you're thinking of the X1.

The X3's engine is still longitudinal.
    Yeah, no X3 is fwd.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Yeah, no X3 is fwd.
    only the newest ones are

Got any facts to back that up?

The current Gen. is definitely not FWD based. Neither is the new version coming out. Unless you're talking about the 2025 model.

The third-generation BMW X3 is built on the new, rear-wheel drive flexible modular system offering more interior space and a redesigned seating system to ensure higher variability and greater comfort.
    http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sho...2017s-g01-suv/

My FIL has owned two of the over the last 10 years and really likes them. I've driven them a few times and the ride is a bit stiff but they handle very well for an SUV and that inline 6-cyl is a gem.

I don't think he's had too many issues with them, though they certainly haven't been Lexus like. The first one had a driveshaft issue but I am wondering if that's related to the frequent towing of is 18' boat.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Yeah, no X3 is fwd.
    Do you not understand the concept of AWD vehicles based on a FWD platform? Guess I should've typed it out for you. Or I misunderstood yer post.

At any rate, I was thinking about the X1 not the X3. https://www.google.com/amp/www.caran...?client=safari
    Last edited by frorider; 01-31-2017 at 01:39 PM.

was thinking of the x1. my b

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Do you not understand the concept of AWD vehicles based on a FWD platform? Guess I should've typed it out for you. Or I misunderstood yer post.

At any rate, I was thinking about the X1 not the X3. https://www.google.com/amp/www.caran...?client=safari
    Yes, I do understand - and every awd BMW that's not transverse engine based is rear wheel biased awd -including every X3 ever.

But it seems that you realized that and had the X1 in mind by your edit.

I thought the OP was buying a Saab?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

My mother has this year's X3 and used to have one from a few back, both with the 2 liter turbo. They're more fun to drive than my Volvo XC70 and less fun than my Mazda 3 with a manual (despite the fact that the Mazda is slower in every way and has more body roll). They have very little steering or pedal feel and are quiet even at full throttle. I found them competent but not particularly engaging. It's a fine car, but don't expect that BMW figured out some magic to make it drive like sports car.

^^^
    What XC70 do you have? My wife got rid of her last X5 for a XC70 T6 and it drives better in almost every way than any X3 loaner the dealership gave her. May not have the road feel of a BM, but a 300hp turbo'd I6, and car like dynamics beat any crossover dead if you ask me. About a country mile's worth more room too.

YMMV.

^^^ 2007 5 Cylinder. I like the car. But would describe the feel as "heavy."

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I thought the OP was buying a Saab?
    TGR to the rescue, I bailed on that idea after I read and considered the thread comments. Plus my buddy who owns the shop was really pushing hard for the X3. I did get a X3 I hate shopping for cars and sitting with finance managers it makes me feel violated. Im having the dealership replace the electric water pump per my buddies suggestion. So Im still borrowing an old RWD 5 series with 225K which Im liking more the more I drive it.

Anyone have a JB4 they want to sell??

So, in reading this I'm still seriously thinking about buying a 2016 X3 low mileage (like below 20K) and fully loaded. Cost is around $46K ($33.6k usd). I'm a bit concerned with this:
    "...And as with any BMW, the modern ones are meant to survive until the warranty period ends, right at 60k miles. After that you had better be comfortable paying for annoying but essential parts that were made from plastic when they should have been made from steel. You're either ok with this because you love driving the car or it will annoy the shit out of you."

Is this a problem even with the 2016's? BTW this will be my wife's car.

It's very pricey for us, however in looking at other options like Tauregs, Volvo's or Subies it seems to compete pretty well on price, also we really want a diesel. Part of the reason for us buying a new car is that we're getting the buy back from VW for wifey's Golf TDI wagon.

Any and all comments will be appreciated. Except from DD.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!