Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    It is not road checks that the enforcement catches you on it is the aftermath of an "accident" when the insurance leaches line up and identify your inadequate tires as the reason you wrecked. it is not about keeping people safe it is about making money and dodging claims.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

I just don't understand why areas near mountains and/or skiing don't have rental car agencies that offer AWD cars with dedicated snows. It's not as though their rentals aren't being driven in severe winter weather. If someone did this at a fair premium, I think they could make money over competitors.

Running a pair of all seasons on your vehicle, nevermind renting cars with them, is downright irresponsible. Studded winters are the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    So....having never driven the road from Calgary to Banff to Golden...how important is AWD? Late March drive time.

I have no (NONE) knowledge about Canada (I'm from down south), chain controls, restrictions, passes on that road, elevation gain, etc etc etc.

Figured we'd rent a mini-van and bring the chains just in case,...
    Did this last year, and further on to Revy.

I found Enterprise were the only ones who could guarantee winter tires, and they charged me extra $$ per day for them. Still not a bad price though, ended up with some buick car that was a beast in the snow. Calgary to Banff is a breeze, 2 lanes the whole way I think. After that there's a pass or two to Golden that can look scary but elevation is still relatively low and is usually clear. Golden to Revy over Rogers pass can get dicey as it always seems to be snowing there, but the usual slow down and be careful rules apply and will get you where you need to be.

All in all not a huge worry - just call in advance and get some winters on. (note: I, like everyone, didn't read the article in the OP)

Edit: Okay so I did just read the article and it seems like CBC put about 10 minutes of "research" in to this. They're idiots. Call the rental companies yourself, odds are they have winter tires available as they'd prefer their clients don't kill themselves and return as customers in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I just don't understand why areas near mountains and/or skiing don't have rental car agencies that offer AWD cars with dedicated snows. It's not as though their rentals aren't being driven in severe winter weather. If someone did this at a fair premium, I think they could make money over competitors.
    Because the big companies do a ton of one ways and they don't know what car you'll be driving until you walk up to the counter.
    Ever notice that they almost always have two keys. That's because they're going to sell it, wherever it's at, when it needs new tires.
    Rental cars with anything other than OEM tires, are extremely rare.

Quote Originally Posted by T Bar Fly View Post
    Canada is kind of obnoxiously uptight.
    Ya we're super obnoxious and very uptight. Sorry aboot that eh!
    If you picture yourself driving on the highway (or any paved road) with chains on you are probably a snow plow driver.

(Edited for what was said below, but fwiw: in two decades of winter driving I've never seen a road check for tires).
    Last edited by gwat; 02-02-2017 at 01:09 PM.

RCMP was doing tire checks in Vernon, on the road to Silver Star last winter.... turned away a few on a powder day. Thankfully they over looked the hazy weed smell pouring out of our car.

If you rent a truck from Hertz (in northern ontario any way) they most often come with winters... but you have to pay a premium for the truck and most often it was a 3/4 tonne.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto