Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cyclic 115: nobody likes Head or poor marketing?

Was looking at these for a Sierra ski and wondering why there is so little info on interwebs in regards to "real" reviews. I know this segment is not Head's forte, so maybe they are ill-equipped to properly market it, or maybe nobody stocks it.

Has anyone got feedback on the 181 and 191 in terms of stiffness (diff between the two) and how short they ski (looks like a lot of rocker). I also read that it does not turn "quick" (although short TR), but it's 115.

I don't think I've ever seen this ski on the hill. I'll look again tomorrow.

Anyone?

Nothing bad, nothing exciting, bleh and boring.

I have a pair of collectives... pretty similar just narrower, they are kinda strange skis. I can make them work in all conditions but really they just like to turn. If thats your thing then they could be your ski. The tail wants to just keep on grabbing when your in the steep. Its funny you can get it to release but then it wants to hook up again. Also I have come to the conclusion that sub 20m sidecut skis are not for me with a waist bigger than 100mm. For some reason I keep trying though. All said and done its a very well made and finished ski if you to want turn and turn.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Nothing bad, nothing exciting, bleh and boring.
    I had a few runs on the 191cm version and this is exactly how I felt.

New school loves them. Never skied them myself.

Not sure why. I love head.

I've been on most of the cyclics at past demo days and really don't remember much..........so yeah, totally unmemorable skis. In fact, I'm not sure Head has made a noteworthy ski since the original Monster.

What about the A Star, any better?
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Demo'd the 115's two years ago on a pow day. The rocker really makes it an easy crud and pow ski. Float is good. Crud performance was good. For me in the 181 they felt a bit stiff. I'm only 168 lbs. IMO would be a good two ski quiver ski. Didn't like it on groomers. For me this would be a pow day ski, and afternoon tracked up powder/crud ski.

I also demo'd the Kaestle BMX105 on the same day, and really liked that ski. (189)
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I have a lightly used pair for sale cheap if anyone wants to be bored out of their mind...

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...k-Demo-Binding

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    For me this would be a pow day ski, and afternoon tracked up powder/crud ski.
    On paper, it seemed like a great Squaw ski; especially on a day like today. You can get these w/Attack 13's to your door for well under $400.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    For me in the 181 they felt a bit stiff. I'm only 168 lbs.
    I am same weight and I was thinking the 191 may be a tad softer. Considering 50% of the ski is rockered, I'm not worried about length.

You can get these w/Attack 13's to your door for well under $400. Might be worth a try......

Quote Originally Posted by esseff View Post
    On paper, it seemed like a great Squaw ski; especially on a day like today. You can get these w/Attack 13's to your door for well under $400.

I am same weight and I was thinking the 191 may be a tad softer. Considering 50% of the ski is rockered, I'm not worried about length.

You can get these w/Attack 13's to your door for well under $400. Might be worth a try......
    Or less used...

Quote Originally Posted by aragon View Post
    Or less used...
    Maybe trying to force it a bit w/the Cyclic. But, for a pow, crud and hardpack ski at Squaw (where you almost always have firm high speed run out back to lift) there are some options. I'm already seeing deals on these:

Patron
    QST 106
    Cham 107
    Last years 115 Supernatural
    Gaucho
    Gunsmoke

I've never tried any of the above. Tahoe/Sierra users?

Cham is an excellent ski.
    Feels heavy when carrying on shoulder, but not when skiing.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy View Post
    What about the A Star, any better?
    I picked up the a stars last season, and liked them enough that for this year I bought the collective 105 for harder days at the resort.

They compliment each other well in that the turn initiations similar, very intuitive and from the foot, if that makes sense. However they still ski very differently.

The a stars crush it at high speeds and in particular, steep terrain. The best ski for steep and fast skiing I've been on. They are like a cross between a line mothership and a dps 138. 27m sidecut, Stable and damp but able to be shut down and easily drifted. In low angle pow they aren't the best due to their stiffness and forward mount. You end up just hauling ass and slashing a turn every once in a while. Excellent ski for steep skiing anywhere and easily an everyday ski for somewhere like snowbird or squaw. Also absolutely crush spring snow.

The collectives, and I got the 181s, intentionally shorter than I normally ski, basically in search of a ski for the steep tight and bumpy of telluride lower mtn. They have been great. Very turny ski with a 17m radius. The steeper and tighter the better. They have incredible edge hold, so do the a stars, and carve like a motherfucker. But still can get drifty at any point in a turn if you get off the edges, took a while to get the detune figured out as they felt very locked in a turn at first. They have even suprised me on pow days as they ski pow pretty well you just have to let the tips float and make lots of turns, they get overpowered if I try to take them up to speed and do some big drifty turns, but that's not what they are for. Excellent ski for hardpack, bumps, a few inches of pow and hunting for pow stashes in super tight trees.

I mounted both -1cm and for both skis it feels like the right spot, balance point right at the ball of foot, 317mm bootsole.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

It really sounds like the Collective, Cyclic and A-Star like to be on edge constantly. With a lot of high speed cat track / run out / flats to get back to the lift, do you find them chattering & drifting?

Both are very damp and stable. The A stars ski much more like a rev/rev ski although they have enough edge that you can easily stand on it for high speed runouts. James Heim had a hand in the design so look up his parts with msp to see how they should be skied. They have a flat tail and are much stiffer than the rest of the flight series line. They require a balanced skier that can drive a ski.

The A-stars sound too burly for me. The Cyclic in a 191 would be better for me considering I only hit Squaw after a dump. The Collective 'sounds' a tad too turney (if that's a word). @ $400 mounted to my door its a low risk prop in the event they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    Both are very damp and stable. The A stars ski much more like a rev/rev ski although they have enough edge that you can easily stand on it for high speed runouts. James Heim had a hand in the design so look up his parts with msp to see how they should be skied. They have a flat tail and are much stiffer than the rest of the flight series line. They require a balanced skier that can drive a ski.

Where are you getting these for 400 mounted to your door?

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    *cough* mine are less (used, granted). Link above.

ASO. $369 to my door mounted w/Attack 13's. I'm thinking that real close to cost.

I am seeing the recco mount point was re-issued by Head to -5 for a 191cm. Anyone on 191s w/mount point experience?

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

Cyclic 115

I have 181' mounted with Dukes, they do like to make short radius turns which is great for the tight east coast trees at Sugarbush. They also carve & hold on firmer snow on the run out. I feel they are a soft flexing ski and if you charge too hard & fast the tips just are not stiff enough, my everyday ride is Black Crow Corvus. These are my go to skis if we get fresh snow, so easy to turn, super fun in my book. If you like short radius turns you won't be disappointed turns on the right all made with this ski on my feet, that is about as big of turn they like to make. If interested I can check what mark I used for boot center I was able to talk to the Head rep on this.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170117_134846.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	268.1 KB 
ID:	198837