Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    That's good to know, I'll try to get the Mimic liners re-molded properly to give them a fair shot.

From my limited experience, the mimic material feels significantly stiffer and less "plush" than the old non-mimic alpine Prime 130 liner or an Intuition liner. That probably allows for a more precise fit when properly molded, but it also seems as though an un-molded (or improperly molded) Mimic liner could be less forgiving and more prone to pressure points than a regular foam liner. If that's the case, these shops who aren't doing the full Mimic process are really doing the boot a disservice, because it's otherwise awesome.
    This was really something we were careful not to botch - the Mimic material in the ankle/heel area replaced the older "3D" material 1:1 - same thickness, same hardness, same shape. The out-of-the-box fit between a Mimic Platinum liner and a 3D Platinum liner is identical, so this tells me you would have the same pressure points in the older liner too. The big benefit here is that the Mimic material will reshape to whatever is next to it, whereas the 3D material doesn't change shape after it is first molded into shape.

If anyone who can't get the XTD Mimic liner to work wants to get a couple bucks back on their Intuition (or whatever) purchase, I'd happily buy your sz 27/27.5 liner. Can't find a single shop in BC who will even try to order them in for me.

Quote Originally Posted by eggsbenedict View Post
    If anyone who can't get the XTD Mimic liner to work wants to get a couple bucks back on their Intuition (or whatever) purchase, I'd happily buy your sz 27/27.5 liner. Can't find a single shop in BC who will even try to order them in for me.
    Good luck, I swapped mine for lighter liners but went back to the Mimic they just ski so damn well

Update to my previous thoughts on this boot...

Got it molded by someone who knew what they were doing and the results are great. Lower added some space around my sixth toes and other trouble spots with no additional punches needed. Don't even feel the need to buckle the two lower buckles anymore because the fit is so dialed. Great progressive flex and the walk mode seems to work better as well.
    Still not a fan of the mimic. Yes it hardens in the exact shape of your ankle and gives great hold but for a touring boot, its excessive and is a bit uncomfortable hiking, skinning, and all the other things you do in the course of a day. I still think an intuition is the way to go with this boot.

In all, couldn't be happier with this boot and the fact that its not just another ultra upright boot.

Quote Originally Posted by camlax View Post
    Update to my previous thoughts on this boot...

Got it molded by someone who knew what they were doing and the results are great. Lower added some space around my sixth toes and other trouble spots with no additional punches needed. Don't even feel the need to buckle the two lower buckles anymore because the fit is so dialed. Great progressive flex and the walk mode seems to work better as well.
    Still not a fan of the mimic. Yes it hardens in the exact shape of your ankle and gives great hold but for a touring boot, its excessive and is a bit uncomfortable hiking, skinning, and all the other things you do in the course of a day. I still think an intuition is the way to go with this boot.

In all, couldn't be happier with this boot and the fact that its not just another ultra upright boot.
    It's all about finding the solution that works for you, and different combos are going to work better for certain people. Glad you are stoked on your set up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	63501562844__EB123A73-279D-4E76-917B-6B5B8A48AEB0.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	364957

I recommend the original XTD liner with 1/4" thick rigid foam strategically placed on either side of the ankle and cuff over top of ankle pinch pads. Retains full walk mode and ankle fits like a vacuum. Intuition is too soft and doesn't hold well, also pushed the foot too far forward. hahaha

Tech binding to pair w/ Hawx XTD

As this is a ‘heavier’ boot on the spectrum these days, would it be “too much boot” for today’s latest and greatest lightweight tech bindings? Or would it be more appropriately paired with a burlier tech binding?

Quote Originally Posted by m7b897 View Post
    As this is a ‘heavier’ boot on the spectrum these days, would it be “too much boot” for today’s latest and greatest lightweight tech bindings? Or would it be more appropriately paired with a burlier tech binding?
    Sage skis his Ultra XTD 130s with our Backland binding all of the time. Pairing this boot with anything more minimal/lighter seems like an odd combo though.

Two separate questions

1: if I want to try out two straps, one is XL voile, one is standard cam, which should go on the outer layer?

2: for inbounds, has anyone skied the Hawx with a non-touring liner? Say Intuition pro wrap? I want a little more oomph for inbound days

Quote Originally Posted by m7b897 View Post
    You would be fine pairing it with a lighter binding. Myself and ski partners pair similar boots with ATK Crest, Helio 200, Helio 180 and similarly light bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    2: for inbounds, has anyone skied the Hawx with a non-touring liner? Say Intuition pro wrap? I want a little more oomph for inbound days
    I've put my lange rx liner in my hawx for skiing inbounds and the frankenstein setup works surprisingly well.

Two separate questions

1: if I want to try out two straps, one is XL voile, one is standard cam, which should go on the outer layer?

1. I would think you would want the standard cam on the cuff and elastic Voile on the liner tongue. We've got a solution coming in 21/22 that will totally solve this problem for you.

2. The current liner in the Hawx Ultra XTD is the same build as what is in the regular Hawx Ultra. It's an alpine liner with a flex zone. And if you need more oomph than that, there's a serious solution coming for 21/22 as well.

Both of the new things were discussed in the 21/22 gear thread, but I can go into more detail if you didn't see it.

If I've got a hawx ultra xtd from 2018, which of the two fits offered nowadays does this correspond to?

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    1. I would think you would want the standard cam on the cuff and elastic Voile on the liner tongue. We've got a solution coming in 21/22 that will totally solve this problem for you.

2. The current liner in the Hawx Ultra XTD is the same build as what is in the regular Hawx Ultra. It's an alpine liner with a flex zone. And if you need more oomph than that, there's a serious solution coming for 21/22 as well.

Both of the new things were discussed in the 21/22 gear thread, but I can go into more detail if you didn't see it.
    The double strap youre building is what inspired my make shift design for now haha. I think itll work, but sign me up for the 21/22 strap

Idk about the new liner though??

The double strap youre building is what inspired my make shift design for now haha. I think itll work, but sign me up for the 21/22 strap

Idk about the new liner though??
    Haha, nice. The real version is pretty awesome, I think people are going to be really stoked on it.

New liner is called Mimic Professional - it combines our heat moldable Mimic technology and our Redster foam technology used on the World Cup. The Mimic material, heat moldable plastic tongue, heat moldable carbon fiber cuff & injected foam cure and harden together creating a fit unlike any other foam liner on the market. It's your foot shape captured in the liner. They are available in Redster TI/STI, Redster CS, Hawx Ultra, and Hawx Prime fits. There are also 3 different tongue volumes available (our V3 Tongue System) to further perfect the fit of the boot. If you drop the Ultra version into your Ultra XTD, then you've got the ideal resort fit.

Haha, nice. The real version is pretty awesome, I think people are going to be really stoked on it.

New liner is called Mimic Professional - it combines our heat moldable Mimic technology and our Redster foam technology used on the World Cup. The Mimic material, heat moldable plastic tongue, heat moldable carbon fiber cuff & injected foam cure and harden together creating a fit unlike any other foam liner on the market. It's your foot shape captured in the liner. They are available in Redster TI/STI, Redster CS, Hawx Ultra, and Hawx Prime fits. There are also 3 different tongue volumes available (our V3 Tongue System) to further perfect the fit of the boot. If you drop the Ultra version into your Ultra XTD, then you've got the ideal resort fit.
    And now I need Mimic Professional .
    I guess it is too early to ask, but do you plan to introduce it to the XTD line?
    The lower shell reinforcements would be great addition too

Quote Originally Posted by aanev View Post
    And now I need Mimic Professional .
    I guess it is too early to ask, but do you plan to introduce it to the XTD line?
    The lower shell reinforcements would be great addition too
    Covid is definitely slowing down the rollout of a lot of things, but who knows what the future will bring

Sent a pair of my zipfits out with a buddy of mine to try in his OG Hawx XTD's at Schwitzer. That pair of zips is too fat to fit in my XTD's. Will report on findings.

FWIW I’m skiing Pro Wraps in my XTDs and it works well. It’s a lot of liner volume in a low volume shell so it might be too much for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    FWIW I’m skiing Pro Wraps in my XTDs and it works well. It’s a lot of liner volume in a low volume shell so it might be too much for some.
    i did this one day last week. too much liner volume for me

Two separate questions

I’ve got a buddy who puts power wraps in his Hawx XTDs for resort days, and raves about them.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    I’ve got a buddy who puts power wraps in his Hawx XTDs for resort days, and raves about them.
    FWIW I’m on the opposite side of the spectrum. I tried skiing these with protests inbounds and hated it. Turns out when you take ~700 grams off a boots there are some performance impacts.

Im a pretty aggressive skier so if you don’t particularly fast you have have better results but going from a Lange RX LV 130 or a X-Max was night and day difference.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    FWIW I’m on the opposite side of the spectrum. I tried skiing these with protests inbounds and hated it. Turns out when you take ~700 grams off a boots there are some performance impacts.

Im a pretty aggressive skier so if you don’t particularly fast you have have better results but going from a Lange RX LV 130 or a X-Max was night and day difference.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Check out my Lupohawx thread. Adding a tongue turns the Hawx into a raceboot. Much stiffer forwards and way stiffer laterally.

who is making the liner ^^ fingers crossed you don't say Paulau ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post

I recommend the original XTD liner with 1/4" thick rigid foam strategically placed on either side of the ankle and cuff over top of ankle pinch pads. Retains full walk mode and ankle fits like a vacuum. Intuition is too soft and doesn't hold well, also pushed the foot too far forward. hahaha
    IMO anytime someone is gluing shit all over a liner it sez to me wrong boot for the foot in question or wrong size boot
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know