Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    What are Hawx XTD folks in for their lightweight boots? Through work I have access to proform and feel shitty asking a fitter to put 20 boots on my feet to not buy from them.
    2023 Atomic Backland Carbon. I have no problem with pros and bros trying on multiple pairs of boots when it's not cutting into my paying appointments (meaning not between November 15th and January 31st), but now is not the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    2023 Atomic Backland Carbon. I have no problem with pros and bros trying on multiple pairs of boots when it's not cutting into my paying appointments (meaning not between November 15th and January 31st), but now is not the time.
    Is it just me or is the heel pocket in the Backland significantly roomier than the Hawx Ultra?

Yep -- figuring do the research now, buy Feb/March assuming I can find stock.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Will wait on ONK to confirm, but I get a less extreme but similar feeling when I switch between my RX130 LVs and Hawx Ultra XTDs. Could just be binding diffs though.

What are Hawx XTD folks in for their lightweight boots? I'm starting to save my sheckles for a spring/big day setup to replace my 28.5 TLT5s (27.5 in RX & Hawx XTD). I want something that walks better than the XTDs and hopefully saves a few hundred grams (1-1200g is the spot I'm aiming for). F1 LT? One of the 1000 different Dalbellos? Backlands? Tried on the Skorpius but it's instep felt too low. Driving a ~185/95mm, 13-400g ski with a 6'2"/190# with gear skier.

Through work I have access to proform and feel shitty asking a fitter to put 20 boots on my feet to not buy from them. Would like to narrow it down to a handful.
    I tried em all and bought the Skorpius and Gignoux Mountain, they are the only ones that fit. The new Skorp is supposed to have more room in the instep. The Dalbello lowers felt ok but they had too much room in the calf for me. I used to have the old Salomon X-Alp and Roxa RX Tour which both fit ok but don't ski as well as the Skorp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    Is it just me or is the heel pocket in the Backland significantly roomier than the Hawx Ultra?
    It's similar in the actual heel, but roomier everywhere above it, especially the cuff. So is everything else with the possible exception of the new Salomon S/Pro Alpha and there is no touring version of it yet.

It's similar in the actual heel, but roomier everywhere above it, especially the cuff. So is everything else with the possible exception of the new Salomon S/Pro Alpha and there is no touring version of it yet.
    Perhaps no one wants to hear it but the Gignoux Mountain is as low-volume if not more low volume in the cuff compared to the Hawx

Could be having a bit more instep height that helped me get more daylight under my heel.

I found my heel lift in the Backland to be similar to the MTN Summit, with the latter being significantly more comfortable for my very wide forefoot. Unfortunately didn't get to test them side-by-side though (opportunistic fitting as two different shops had the display model be my size and they let me without needing to bug a fitter).

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I tried em all and bought the Skorpius and Gignoux Mountain, they are the only ones that fit. The new Skorp is supposed to have more room in the instep. The Dalbello lowers felt ok but they had too much room in the calf for me. I used to have the old Salomon X-Alp and Roxa RX Tour which both fit ok but don't ski as well as the Skorp.
    Thanks this is helpful beta. New Skorpius having taller instep makes it a contender -- I tried on tgapps gen 1 and besides the instep it felt like it could work with minimal effort.

I wouldn't mind a bit more room in the toebox than the stock xtd, but it was easy to get molded. Sounds like Backland could be a solid contender.

Bushings replacement?

How much play do you have in your ultra hawx xtd walk mode? I have enough to the point where it’s a bit unnerving at times and I’m going to spin a new set of bushings on the lathe. Has anyone else had this before?

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Perhaps no one wants to hear it but the Gignoux Mountain is as low-volume if not more low volume in the cuff compared to the Hawx
    Thanks, will try to find one to try on - though it's in a different weight and $$$ category altogether . . .

Quote Originally Posted by m96e23 View Post
    How much play do you have in your ultra hawx xtd walk mode? I have enough to the point where it’s a bit unnerving at times and I’m going to spin a new set of bushings on the lathe. Has anyone else had this before?
    Could be worth checking the tightness of the bolts that hold the walk mode lever on. Mine backed off and fell out years ago so I check them every year now

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Could be worth checking the tightness of the bolts that hold the walk mode lever on. Mine backed off and fell out years ago so I check them every year now

Bolts are tight I took the cuff off today and the portion of the washer that sits on the igus bushing is good but the portion which that sits against the igus and into the shell has what I feel is a ton of slop. Maybe it’s designed that way to squeeze an extra degree or 2 out of the walk mode but I think tightening it up will be a worth while trade off in the skiing side of things. It’s probably a full degree or 2 of backwards slop based on the bushing alone. I’ll try to get some photos later to see what y’all think.

Quote Originally Posted by m96e23 View Post
    Bolts are tight I took the cuff off today and the portion of the washer that sits on the igus bushing is good but the portion which that sits against the igus and into the shell has what I feel is a ton of slop. Maybe it’s designed that way to squeeze an extra degree or 2 out of the walk mode but I think tightening it up will be a worth while trade off in the skiing side of things. It’s probably a full degree or 2 of backwards slop based on the bushing alone. I’ll try to get some photos later to see what y’all think.
    The cuff should sit tightly on the Igus bushings ("Frictionless Pivot") and there shouldn't be any play there. Sounds like you're a beast and you just need to replace the bushings with a fresh set. Give this info to your local Atomic dealer and they can order up a set for you: Frictionless Pivot Set, part number AZE001164

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    The cuff should sit tightly on the Igus bushings ("Frictionless Pivot") and there shouldn't be any play there. Sounds like you're a beast and you just need to replace the bushings with a fresh set. Give this info to your local Atomic dealer and they can order up a set for you: Frictionless Pivot Set, part number AZE001164
    Thanks for the part number. I may try to make some myself on the lathe but it’s good to have a back up. The boots don’t owe me much with 150 ish days on them thus far.

Ok, weird one here - I’ve now owned two sets of these boots and on both sets after about 30 days - my boot boards crack. I’m not taking them or the liners out of the shell after skiing, but pieces of the broken boot board end up under the footbed when I’m skiing.

I’m in WA so no real crazy cold temps. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks, will try to find one to try on - though it's in a different weight and $$$ category altogether . . .
    In terms of cuff height and ski performance it beats every other option under 1100g. If only they used better tech inserts

Quote Originally Posted by RudyGarmisch View Post
    Ok, weird one here - I’ve now owned two sets of these boots and on both sets after about 30 days - my boot boards crack. I’m not taking them or the liners out of the shell after skiing, but pieces of the broken boot board end up under the footbed when I’m skiing.

I chipped one heel and broke one. I taped it together. Never notice it. YMMV.

in CO so we ski some cold temps but I wimp out below 0F unless its sunny.

Pieces of the boot board end up in the liner, or lodged in between the boot board & the liner?

If you are running into issues with the (stock) hard foam boot board, we also make a soft, flexible boot board for the Hawx Ultra XTD: ShockStopper Boot Board, part number AZE001812

That version won't break or chip on you.

Have been running these boots for a season and a half. Love how they fit my foot and how well they perform on the uphill/casual skiing. I definitely experience some weirdness when charging, which is to be expected I suppose.

1) Has anyone successfully stiffened their boots? I'm about to throw a Booster on them but am more specifically interested in mitigating the walk mode flex aspect on the downhill. I've seen the thread where the guy threw a Lupo tongue over the whole Hawx, but I want to avoid going that far.

2) Has anyone gone through the resoling process? Should I take it to a mountaineering type shop or is there a way I can do this myself?

Quote Originally Posted by mattyTru View Post
    Have been running these boots for a season and a half. Love how they fit my foot and how well they perform on the uphill/casual skiing. I definitely experience some weirdness when charging, which is to be expected I suppose.

1) Has anyone successfully stiffened their boots? I'm about to throw a Booster on them but am more specifically interested in mitigating the walk mode flex aspect on the downhill. I've seen the thread where the guy threw a Lupo tongue over the whole Hawx, but I want to avoid going that far.

2) Has anyone gone through the resoling process? Should I take it to a mountaineering type shop or is there a way I can do this myself?
    What liner do you run? Intuition pro wrap or similar makes them feel much stiffer for skiing.

Has anyone gone through the resoling process? Should I take it to a mountaineering type shop or is there a way I can do this myself?
    If you are anywhere near Seattle, Dave Page Cobbler has OEM Atomic soles and the skills to make them stick.

I chipped the back of the heels from hard landings, but never noticed the difference after removing the pieces that fell off. It probably took 200 days to do it though

Intuition Tour Wrap liners are a worthwhile upgrade for a bit more stiffness (but you lose some uphill rom)

You could try this too: https://shop.pulsebootlab.com/en-us/.../pulse-proflex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was listening to the blister interview with Matt on the drive home from the pass today and am curious about the shock absorbing boot boards. Has anyone tried them in xtds or alpine hawx? Noticeable difference?

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Intuition Tour Wrap liners are a worthwhile upgrade for a bit more stiffness (but you lose some uphill rom)

You could try this too: https://shop.pulsebootlab.com/en-us/.../pulse-proflex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those pulse tongues restrict the ROM as well.