Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Quick (probably dumb) question, I have a pair of the Hawx Ultra XTD and a pair of Carbon Backland for trips that would include some climbing and more walking than I want to do in the Ultra XTD. I recently picked up a pair of Pro-Tour liners. Both shells are size 26 and appear to fit similar except for the taller cuff of the Ultra XTD.

Am I dreaming that I can swap the liners back and forth between the two pairs of boots? If it'll work, which one do you bake the liners in?
    One pair of liners will work for both. No objective reason but I'd mold it for boots you'd use the most

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Hello, folks. I知 looking at the XTD series for a one-boot quiver. I probably get 15-20 days/yr in-70% on-resort, very little on-piste. I知 a snow snob and usually only ski relatively soft days. Touring is a mix between quick laps on the local small hill and Cascade volcanos in the spring. I知 5-10 200lbs in my gear with pretty large calves. I like to ski hard but I知 not jumping cliffs or running 40+ mph often. I値l ski pretty much any terrain. I知 currently on BD Primes (~85flex) driving K2 Pinnacle 105.

I知 looking at the XTD 120 vs 130. I know the 120 is more resort oriented and the 130 is more touring. I have the ability to buy a second liner (Intuition) for whatever boot I get so I can have a touring liner and a resort liner. I just really don稚 want a boot that collapses like my Prime does, and I知 guessing both versions of the XTD will be head and shoulders above it in performance. Any suggestions between these two for a single boot to rule them all?
    coming off primes, either one will probably do you just fine. don't overthink this. if 40mph seems excessively fast, you probably don't need to overthink the flex difference between the 120 and 130. Your current boots suck a big one.

Thanks, that was my initial assumption, but I wanted to check. I’ll probably go for whatever I can find on the lowest Black Friday deal and get ripping.

I'm much heavier than you and quite enjoy skiing fast even in shit fuck conditions. hawx xtd 130 serving me very well. I rarely even do up the booster while touring to cut down on fuckery, unless serious fun is anticipated. I find them plenty adequate.

Anyone try the Intuition Tour Wrap liners in the XTDs yet? Have a pr of the 130s I skied in last winter with the stock liner and looking to freshen them up for this winter and am a bit torn on which liner - ProTour, PowerWrap or TourWrap.... With a high instep and wide forefoot it looks like a wrap style would be preferred. Just don't want to stiffen the boot up much more....and will tour maybe 25% of the time and most of it off the Pass. Thoughts??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post
    Anyone try the Intuition Tour Wrap liners in the XTDs yet? Have a pr of the 130s I skied in last winter with the stock liner and looking to freshen them up for this winter and am a bit torn on which liner - ProTour, PowerWrap or TourWrap.... With a high instep and wide forefoot it looks like a wrap style would be preferred. Just don't want to stiffen the boot up much more....and will tour maybe 25% of the time and most of it off the Pass. Thoughts??

I tried on a pair of Pro Tour Wrap liners at Intuition and found the thickness at the cuff to be too much for the low volume fit of the XTD. Running a pair of Pro Tour MV which fit much better.

i am also running pro tour in what i think is mv with great success. I also have a pair of pro tongues that i will try this year. The initial find was the the pro tongues were to bulky, but i will try to heat them and see if they will compress enough. A bit more rigidity/support inbounds (similarity between rc4s and xtr130) would be nice and is what i am aiming for, as well as not beating the tours halfway into oblivion would be nice as well.

Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD aka Hawk Extended aka HawX

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post

I tried both in my Lopo Carbon TI痴 and my Vulcan痴 last year. I felt that the regular Lopo with the power wrap was the secret to its great fit for me with my skinny calves and that a tour version of the wrap would solve my fit problems. It turned out that the regular Pro Tour with the tongue had a snugger fit around the calf and over the instep to my surprise. The Tour Wrap is a great liner, but it fits differently so you have to compare before committing. For me it wasn稚 the right choice, but it felt like it articulated very well, with a bit more power and a little more resistance in the stride, but both really good.

I bought Hawks last spring and don稚 like the stock liner much. The fit is excellent, best ever in a touring boot, but I can feel the shell through the liner in hot spots when I tour. I am going to try both the wrap and the regular touring liner from Intuition, but my experience tells me that it will be the tongue liner that fits best. It is a low volume shell though, so we値l see. I will report back.

Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD aka Hawk Extended aka HawX

Jong question but these are compatible with the WTR pivots?

Nvm figured it out

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by PNW_Skier206; 11-21-2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Figured it out

Anyone know what crampons work well with the XTD? or just have recommendations in general for crampons

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman922 View Post
    Anyone know what crampons work well with the XTD? or just have recommendations in general for crampons
    Boot crampons or ski crampons? Dynafit crampons are good for skis.

These - https://www.proskiservice.com/tech-crampon.html

Used for 7 days in May on the Freshfields and climbed 10 peaks consisting of grade A styrofoam ice.

These poons are all I needed. Quasi front pointed and crab walked a tonne. These r minty.

Ascended all the big peaks safely with skis on my back and no poon issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

^interesting steel fronts for 250g/pr!

Full Al for 330gr/pr https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/Crampons/LEOPARD-LLF
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    Jong question but these are compatible with the WTR pivots?

Nvm figured it out

They aren't compatible - there is lateral play in the heel allowing the rear binding to rotate and the boot has enough play to move sideways a few mm.

I have a video somewhere if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartArse88 View Post
    They aren't compatible - there is lateral play in the heel allowing the rear binding to rotate and the boot has enough play to move sideways a few mm.

I have a video somewhere if you are interested.
    Wait even with the WTR or AW pivots? I thought those were ok. I know there were some issues with some other WTR bindings but I thought pivots were ok.

Wait even with the WTR or AW pivots?
    According to Look, Dual/WTR = Yes, AW = No.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    According to Look, Dual/WTR = Yes, AW = No.
    GregL you have any experience mounting any Dual/WTR?

GregL you have any experience mounting any Dual/WTR?

Not personally, during the Dual years I've been strictly a Salomon/Atomic/Dynafit guy and I haven't worked as a shop tech for decades. Why do you ask?

Not personally, during the Dual years I've been strictly a Salomon/Atomic/Dynafit guy and I haven't worked as a shop tech for decades. Why do you ask?
    I had heard the hawx ultra xtd had some issues with bindings that were WTR compatible.

I had heard the hawx ultra xtd had some issues with bindings that were WTR compatible.
    Hawx Ultra XTD and Marker SoleID bindings are the combination you are thinking of, I believe. Confirmed by two of our shops, Marker reps, and others on this board - there is a thread somewhere where a guy ground down the toe of his XTD to make it work.

Sole ID no bueno with XTD. Lived it and learned it last season with Jesters.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

So many confusings!

Sent from my VS995 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    ^interesting steel fronts for 250g/pr!

Full Al for 330gr/pr https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/Crampons/LEOPARD-LLF
    very helpful, thanks!

Hawx Ultra XTD and Marker SoleID bindings are the combination you are thinking of, I believe. Confirmed by two of our shops, Marker reps, and others on this board - there is a thread somewhere where a guy ground down the toe of his XTD to make it work.
    Ah ok. Thanks for clarifying!!