Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Lee and Sam. My conclusion from your brief testing is that the hawk xtd skins and skis better than the zero g for a 155 lb dude. And that the maestrale RS is on par with the hawk xtd in both ascent and descent categories. Is that accurate?
    Emphasis on brief testing, but yes, IMO hawx and rs2 are the new boots to beat in that category. Vulcan is still great, but weight, tongues, liner and cuff rivets are all worse than the competition now. Raw stiffness is still probably higher than the new boots but I think that one could make a pretty good case that they'll ski better for most customers.

and new lupo 130c take the lead in the upper category (3kg6 ski like true 130 alpine flex)
    without the tongue it would probably tour like a vulcan (without tongue)
    near zero friction (and tongues are 300gr)
    so the cochise 130 pro 2017 looses his crown too.
    simply it would probably ski like a krypton in medium settings

Quote Originally Posted by buenonda View Post
    and new lupo 130c take the lead in the upper category (3kg6 ski like true 130 alpine flex)
    without the tongue it would probably tour like a vulcan (without tongue)
    near zero friction (and tongues are 300gr)
    so the cochise 130 pro 2017 looses his crown too.
    simply it would probably ski like a krypton in medium settings
    Is the tongue easy to remove on the Lupo? Reviews and pictures don't show it clearly

I didn't try to take the tongues off, but it looked like it was at least supposed to be a no-tools activity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7363c.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	975.2 KB 
ID:	202273

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7364c.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	202274
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

If it's the same as this years carbon ti, it's ez to take off. You do have to take the buckles completely off the ladders though. After a few change overs it's fairly quick.
    As far as performance, my carbon ti is stiffer , mostly lateral and rearword, than my previous years lupo sp alpine boot. Not by much but it's noticeable. Same fit. I've added a booster strap to my carbon ti and will mod/add the forward lean spacer to mock my sp(personal preference). Skis like my sp and walks as good as my tlt6's aside from weight.
    I've heard next year they're a fair bit lighter(my 25.5 with tongue is 1860g) and the one below the carbon cuff model(lupo factory?) is the lighter model(1550? Might be w/o tongue) and reasonably priced or atleast it will compare to other brands. Probably not quite as stiff as the carbon cuff but I'd wager that they're really close. My sp and c ti are really close with the nod to the carbon ,as stated.
    Great boot . Lately my tlt6's are relegated to skinny ski days

Thx Summit and Grinch. I've got one waiting for review. Will have to do the boot on boot test. Interesting..... weights would seem to be still in the 1600g range for the boot without tongue but that's not terrible. I wonder how it skis without tongue?

Atomic Hawk Ultra XTD aka Hawk Extended aka HawX

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Thx Summit and Grinch. I've got one waiting for review. Will have to do the boot on boot test. Interesting..... weights would seem to be still in the 1600g range for the boot without tongue but that's not terrible. I wonder how it skis without tongue?
    Np
    It's not going to ski great without the tongue(I've only done a couple hundred ft) because the ski walk mode switch only stops the cuff from rearward rom. Forward rom is relying on the tongue and buckles. A walk/ski mode switch like freedoms(a lip that fits in the slot that's blocked from flexing forward or back)would help. Lupo is relying on buckles with a tongue for forward flex. Really it's only flaw I can find, if it can be called a flaw

Ah that's good to know. Putting a tongue in and out touring would be a bummer for most. I know it would be for me

Anyone know of a place to buy these Atomic Hawk Ultra XTD's? I see them available here: https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/at...a-xtd-130-boot
    but they don't have my size in stock?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Ah that's good to know. Putting a tongue in and out touring would be a bummer for most. I know it would be for me
    on your vulcan do you tour and walk with the tongue? :-)

For a quicker yoyo I don't take the tongue out cuz the top of the boot is open and I don't find the ROM so bad but if its a longer tour i take the tongues out

I found the Mercury too soft to ski without a tongue but the Vulcan is definatley skiable without the tongue

but besides the stiffness I want the Vulcan fits me better with the tongue for the down and so I almost always use the tongue for the down
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

on your vulcan do you tour and walk with the tongue? :-)
    Without the tongue. Only weigh 75kg

How well does that external mode lever work? Any issues bootpacking steeps in ski mode? How tall is the XTD shell compared to a Zero G Guide?
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 03-14-2017 at 12:36 AM.

This thing skis like a brick. It's stiff, and if that is all you care for in a touring boot rock on. Flex profile feels like a brick. Same for the Hawx Ultra. If you liked the Vulcan you will like this boot. If you skied the Vulcan and realized being stiff isn't everything in a boot, this is just another light tech boot that still doesn't have true alpine feel.

Otherwise walks well and easy to manipulate. Defiantly a light boot.

wich size did you try XavierD?

Quote Originally Posted by DKNY2LA View Post
    Anyone know of a place to buy these Atomic Hawk Ultra XTD's? I see them available here: https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/at...a-xtd-130-boot
    but they don't have my size in stock?
    It's a '18 boot so you may struggle.

wich size did you try XavierD?
    27.5?

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad boot, but it's a touring boot, not a replace everything boot.

Good to know. Pretty un-TGR but I'm searching for the best feeling flex out there and don't feel like I need 130. I want good range of motion and decent flex, i can live with softer boots. Still looking for that though...

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    This thing skis like a brick. It's stiff, and if that is all you care for in a touring boot rock on. Flex profile feels like a brick. Same for the Hawx Ultra. If you liked the Vulcan you will like this boot. If you skied the Vulcan and realized being stiff isn't everything in a boot, this is just another light tech boot that still doesn't have true alpine feel.

Otherwise walks well and easy to manipulate. Defiantly a light boot.
    That's the beauty of the interwebz and TGR. We can have different impressions. Just 15 days on Hawk & MtnLab. But about 200 on Vulcan. Probably 100 or so Tecnica Cochise and ZeroG. Going to try the Dalbello to see how they are too.

Vulcan with tongue is a brick. Without tongue its reasonably progressive but not in the same ballpark as these other boots but its good in pow for someone my size.

The Hawk Ultra extended, Tecnicas ski noticeably better. The Mtn Lab is probably in the middle. The Vulcan with tongue is down the line. Again, just my opinion.

But nothing skis like an alpine boot. Even my old Atomic freeride boots with plugs removed are above all the AT boots remembering again that all boots are about compromises

27.5?

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad boot, but it's a touring boot, not a replace everything boot.
    What would you say are the top "replace everything" boots at the moment?

If I had to pick one: ZeroG Guide with multiple liners, but really I'm waiting for it, and don't think it will happen. It's like wanting a 26lb XC/trail build that can spend days in the bike park. Not gonna happen.

I like the way my Lange XT FTs ski in the resort, and short tours. The Cochise edges well and skis great with a powerwrap and drive plate to smooth out the flex. Both are too heavy for most of my spring touring use.

Of the lighter boots I think the ZeroG has the best skiing performance. A true progressive flex that ramps up nicely towards the finish. Like the Cochise Powerwraps and drive plates beef the boot up considerably for alpine use. The biggest issue here is durability. It is a light boot with light plastic. Heavy resort use is gonna wear it out somewhat quickly. This boot is not ideal for long BC days but is light enough you can keep up.

At the end though, I will still have a closet full of boots, and will end up skiing three to four olof them regularly.
    -97/98mm pinned PE downhill boot (RS, raptor RS, Mach1, etc)
    - sidecountry / mixed use boot (Lange XT Freetour / Cochise / Lupo, etc)
    - light and fast but skis like shit(TLT6/7, Procline, backland, etc)
    -

Thanks for the info XavierD!

Quote Originally Posted by MCskid View Post
    Zipfit is your answer, will add some weight compared to intuition but they will change your life.
    Is zipfit good to take out excess volume?
    I like my bd factor mx boots, but intuitions packed and i'm kind of swimming in the boot.

Zipfit can take up excess volume in the spaces where the omfit goes (usually hits just behind the styloid process), especially in the ankle region, but definitely not in the neoprene forefoot. It's pretty obvious where the omfit region is if you look at a photo of them on the zipfit website—it's the leather part. Additionally, the tongue is rather thick, which can keep your heel back nicely if you have excess volume in the instep.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

If I had to pick one: ZeroG Guide with multiple liners, but really I'm waiting for it, and don't think it will happen. It's like wanting a 26lb XC/trail build that can spend days in the bike park. Not gonna happen.

I like the way my Lange XT FTs ski in the resort, and short tours. The Cochise edges well and skis great with a powerwrap and drive plate to smooth out the flex. Both are too heavy for most of my spring touring use.

Of the lighter boots I think the ZeroG has the best skiing performance. A true progressive flex that ramps up nicely towards the finish. Like the Cochise Powerwraps and drive plates beef the boot up considerably for alpine use. The biggest issue here is durability. It is a light boot with light plastic. Heavy resort use is gonna wear it out somewhat quickly. This boot is not ideal for long BC days but is light enough you can keep up.

At the end though, I will still have a closet full of boots, and will end up skiing three to four olof them regularly.
    -97/98mm pinned PE downhill boot (RS, raptor RS, Mach1, etc)
    - sidecountry / mixed use boot (Lange XT Freetour / Cochise / Lupo, etc)
    - light and fast but skis like shit(TLT6/7, Procline, backland, etc)
    -
    You missed the backcountry section (Mtn Lab, Hawk XTD, ZeroG, Maestrale RS, Vulcan etc).