Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    I have a 27 Pro Tour in my 26/26.5 shell working well. I just tried a 27 Tour Wrap and it was way too big, at least 1 cm longer than the pro tour. I was looking for a little more forward stiffness to ski in the resort without a big hit in walkability. Looking for a 26 Tour Wrap now.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

^Been pretty psyched on the Tour Wrap for that purpose. I'll probably still toss in the factory liner for longer days but otherwise haven't noticed much of a decrease in ROM with the Tour Wrap.

Has anyone tried on the Atomic Hawx Prime XTD (wider-last version of this boot)? I'm hoping they didn't also widen the heel pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    Has anyone tried on the Atomic Hawx Prime XTD (wider-last version of this boot)? I'm hoping they didn't also widen the heel pocket.
    I have and they didn’t. Improved liner but still will use a pro tour.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Thanks. Did you go 27 or 28 for the liner, into a 27.5 shell? Intuition says round up for the Pro Tour but I'm wary since the Hawx shell runs a little short, and I'm tight on overall volume.
    27 liner in a 27/27.5 shell. Would not go up for my personal shell fit. Felt like pure unfiltered suffering before molding. Is perfect post molding.

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic84 View Post
    I have and they didn’t. Improved liner but still will use a pro tour.

One note on the new Mimic liner in the new Hawx Prime XTD (also in the Ultra XTD, Ultra, and Prime)- this liner has a fully remoldable plastic tongue, plastic cuff, and ankle/heel pocket that fully shapes when heated and fully hardens around your foot and leg. As an Intuition user prior to joining Atomic, it blows Intuition out of the water. This liner is unlike anything currently on the market. Swapping it out for an Intuition would be a big miss.

Keep your eyes peeled for a new podcast with Blister where will dive deeper into this new tech.

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    One note on the new Mimic liner in the new Hawx Prime XTD (also in the Ultra XTD, Ultra, and Prime)- this liner has a fully remoldable plastic tongue, plastic cuff, and ankle/heel pocket that fully shapes when heated and fully hardens around your foot and leg. As an Intuition user prior to joining Atomic, it blows Intuition out of the water. This liner is unlike anything currently on the market. Swapping it out for an Intuition would be a big miss.

Keep your eyes peeled for a new podcast with Blister where will dive deeper into this new tech.
    Damn dude.
    Was hoping to pick up xtds on sale as season winds down. Now you got me thinking I need to wait and try this magic liner.....

Edit: any other updates to ultra xtd next year?

I’ve heard good things, I’m just cautious because you always hear about improved liners and they end up being subpar. I should have a pair coming in the next month or so. Excited to try out the new liner.

Sounds like the holy grail. Can't wait to stick me feet in 'em if real world testing confirms the superior fit, fit tension, support, and, no real world deal breakers like cold seepage or durability issues manifest.
    Master of mediocrity.

Atomic (in this segment at least) is one company I actually stand up and take notice when onenerdykid makes a statement like that... cool stuff, excited to see it even though I am happy with my Tour Wraps in 18/19 XTD 130's. I am curious about durability though, one nice thing with Intuition is they seem to last way longer than stock liners.

Will they be available for aftermarket purchase....
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    They ski significantly better than the OG RS's. Much closer to being a 1 boot quiver in terms of both fit and flex. It also took more time with a boot fitter to make them work for me.

I think they walk about the same. But I've also toured in F1's a lot the last few years. Those walk much better than both, making the difference between the RS and Hawx seem minimal by comparison.
    So one more question from me, since I'm a serial hand wringer over decisions like this and you have experience with both Hawx and F1. Is the F1 a significant decrease in ski performance for less than ideal mid-winter conditions vs the OG Maestrale, and by extension, the Hawx? Skis are 184 V-werks Katana's for what it's worth.

Also for what it's worth, I have skinnier skis and Fischer Travers Carbons for long spring days.

I guess I just feel like the Atomic's are beefier than I need, and I would appreciate something that walks better, but not willing to give up much over my current boot for daily winter driver.

Very psyched on this. I'm on season three with my non-XTD Hawx Ultra and the fit is great but liner leaves me wanting. I've been stringing my old Mercuries along but am pretty ready for some XTDs (and new Ultras...). New liner sounds very encouraging. Thanks Matt!

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So one more question from me, since I'm a serial hand wringer over decisions like this and you have experience with both Hawx and F1. Is the F1 a significant decrease in ski performance for less than ideal mid-winter conditions vs the OG Maestrale, and by extension, the Hawx?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Yes
    I'll give them a shot.

I'll give them a shot.
    Well, catch and release. I had them in hand a couple of hours before I took them back. Reasons why:
    1. I felt like they were a step back in terms of walkability vs. the Maestrales. I fiddled with the buckles and straps and walked around a bit and I felt like they just didn't walk as well. They do feel stiffer and I bet they ski better, but in reality, the Scarpas skied "good enough" for me 90% of the time. I don't want to lose a step in the touring dept.
    2. Lack of a real, lugged, vibram sole. I don't scramble around a ton in my "winter" boots, but when I do, I want more grippy-ness. The ability to work in other, more downhill oriented bindings intrigued me, but the reality is, I've ridden lifts exactly once in the past two seasons. Not my focus.
    3. Fiddle factor. I want my next boot to be simpler to transition, not equal or worse.

All of these reasons is why I think the new(2021?) Scarpa F1 is a miss. I didn't need a lighter F1, I needed a stiffer F1, or a better walking Maestrale. The unicorn boot would be a boot about the weight of the current F1, with that kind of walk mode, a true 110 flex, and a two motion transition. It seems like the market is segmenting into uber stiff crossover boots and 1000 gram and less lycra running boots.

All of these reasons is why I think the new(2021?) Scarpa F1 is a miss. I didn't need a lighter F1, I needed a stiffer F1, or a better walking Maestrale. The unicorn boot would be a boot about the weight of the current F1, with that kind of walk mode, a true 110 flex, and a two motion transition. It seems like the market is segmenting into uber stiff crossover boots and 1000 gram and less lycra running boots.
    Definitely agree with this point

Appreciate all the comments on the Hawx Ultra. I was ****this***** close to picking up a pair, but ended up in the Head Kore 1. The fit was really close, but I was able to size down in the Kore (it runs long...or the Hawx runs short), and the flex felt ridiculously good in the shop. It skis great in the wild too.

Anyway, just wanted to post here that, if the Hawx works for your foot, the Kore will probably work for you too. Here's a little thread I started on the Kore because I had never heard of it before the bootfitter put me in a pair. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-touring-boots
    sproing!

Meter,
    Which bootfitter? I recall you’re in truckee now

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Meter,
    Which bootfitter? I recall you’re in truckee now
    Corey at Tahoe Sports Hub. He's really good.
    sproing!

Anyone get to try the Mimic Liner yet in the 20/21 Atomic Hawx XTD?

Anyone lose the connector piece on the buckle? These are brand new boots I got Monday that went on 1 brief ascent, 1 icy decent (maybe the chatter here knocked it loose/out?) today.

Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD aka Hawk Extended aka HawX

Well I took the plunge on a pair of 19/20s for a good price instead of waiting to pay more for the new liner.
    God damn these are hard to get on and off. Physically cannot get them on at room temp without pulling the liner and putting that on first. Seems this is going to shorten life of liner given the already apparent damage to the heel area of doing it just a couple of times.
    They fit way better around the ankle and walk so much better than my freetours. Keen to see how they ski but unfortunately not sure I’m going to get them on snow this year since the light gear has come out for springtime.

which ultra XTD

I currently use a pair of hawx ultra 110 but want a stiffer boot that can also tour. As I see it, I have three good options:

1) great deal on 2019-20 120 flex XTDs (better liner for downhill)
    2) great deal (although a little more than the 120) on 2019-20 130 flex XTDs and also take my current 110 liner with me for when I wont be going uphill
    3) wait for the 2020-21 version of the 130

What do folks think? I'm thinking option 2 may be the best given I already have a good downhill liner, then you have the best optionality.

If anyone can use a hobbit size 19/20 XTD 130 I've got a barely used pair of 24.5's for sale.

$275 shipped