Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    The original orange liner was really short and low in the toe box. Freakishly so. In my 27.5 shell I haven't had any problem putting most size 28lv liners in them including tour wrap and zipfit WC. Virtually any liner will buy you toe room. Just got a pair of Intuition Plug Race to try in them. Hope to find out about them in the next day or two.
    I would second this. I’m a 5-10mm shell fit between my two feet in a 26.5 XTD 130. The original orange liners were unusable on my bigger foot, absolutely crushed my big toe even with heat molding and foot beds.

Had the same problem with my inbounds Hawx Ultra 120s, stock liner just way too short for my big toe.

I’ve run 27 Tour Wraps and 27 Pro Tour HVs with custom foot beds with good results in my XTD 130 26.5 shell. My foot is about 101-102mm at the met heads but low volume heel/ankle and low instep. YMMV of course.

Separate question: anyone know an easy way to pick up a 13 degree forward lean chip for the XTDs? I’ve been using my Ultra 120s at 13 degrees plus a spoiler affixed to the shell and Booster strap, really like that feel.
    Last edited by DGamms; 04-23-2021 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Separate question: anyone know an easy way to pick up a 13 degree forward lean chip for the XTDs? I’ve been using my Ultra 120s at 13 degrees plus a spoiler affixed to the shell and Booster strap, really like that feel.
    This will need to be ordered through an Atomic dealer. The part should be available though.

Thanks onenerdykid!

Any thoughts on the liner issues above? It’s not unique to the Hawx series for me. I had to do the same with the my OG Lange Freetour XT 130 LVs as well. The stock liner in a 26.5 was just too short, used 27 Zipfits in those mostly.

I know on the Blister podcast you said something about the stock liners maybe feeling short out of the shell, but that they should feel better once they are in the shell with a footbed. That wasn’t my experience but I may be in the minority there.

I only ask because the new custom Mimic foam injected liners sound pretty awesome for my existing 26.5 Hawx Ultra 120s. But not sure if I’d have to go up to a 27 in those too for my big toe, or if the Mimic custom liners are a bit longer than the old stock XTD and Hawx Ultra liners?

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Thanks onenerdykid!

Any thoughts on the liner issues above? It’s not unique to the Hawx series for me. I had to do the same with the my OG Lange Freetour XT 130 LVs as well. The stock liner in a 26.5 was just too short, used 27 Zipfits in those mostly.

I know on the Blister podcast you said something about the stock liners maybe feeling short out of the shell, but that they should feel better once they are in the shell with a footbed. That wasn’t my experience but I may be in the minority there.

I only ask because the new custom Mimic foam injected liners sound pretty awesome for my existing 26.5 Hawx Ultra 120s. But not sure if I’d have to go up to a 27 in those too for my big toe, or if the Mimic custom liners are a bit longer than the old stock XTD and Hawx Ultra liners?
    Are you skiing a 5-10mm shell fit without a toe box stretch/punch for length?

If the effective last is still a 26, then go with a 26. But, if you punched the 26 out so it fits lengthwise like a 27, then go with a 27 liner.

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    Are you skiing a 5-10mm shell fit without a toe box stretch/punch for length?

If the effective last is still a 26, then go with a 26. But, if you punched the 26 out so it fits lengthwise like a 27, then go with a 27 liner.
    Good point. I have to punch pretty much all 26.5 shells for the medial side of my big toe in the front and for my Haglund’s deformity in the back to make them useable. So it sounds like Mimic custom in a 27 for me. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Teenaged View Post
    I've skied 100 days this year, only 5 of which were backcountry and all of them were in xtd 130s. I've been doing the same thing for last 3 years. I've gotten used to how they ski and am happy with how they perform inbounds, so ill stick with them next year again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Do you switch liners for inbounds/touring?

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    I have tried this—with poor results personally. For me, it was tour wrap and pro wrap, same size. the pro wrap was too much volume in the toe box and put my foot to sleep. But the tour wrap skis surprisingly well inbounds. I have hardly skied my old Kryptons this year as a result...

still surprised how well this boot skis. there are times I wish it was a little stiffer inbounds, and times I wish the heel didnt expand outward quite so much, but rarely does my brain have that reaction when skiing hard. it's later when on a groomer just thinking boots. kudos 1nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    Nope I'm in the stock liners (orange vintage). I tried protours earlier this season but they were too low on my legs and caused some bruising so i went back to stock. I have a footbed, wider laces, and a booster strap to make them feel a little more alpine boot like

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

Anyone get this tear on their Mimic liner? I’ve had less than 30 days on these primarily touring and I feel they ripped from pulling the liners out of the shell. Looks like a design flaw to me. This happens on both liners. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5535.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	372808

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Read through this thread:

Looking at picking up a pair for this year. 95% IB and 5% slackcunty. Stepping in the fit is DIALED. Heel hold is exceptional on my foot.

205 lbs with gear, ski big heavy skis. Like to go down the fall line.

Are these holding up long term to that kind of abuse?

Currently in 130 Cochise love how they ski just some weird hot spots that don’t work perfectly with my foot.

Unless the newer ones are stiffer i dont really care for mine inbounds. Thdy ski ok i guess. My vulcans ski better and tour better but the buckles and toungue swapping is a pita. Lupo c ti blows the doors off them both inbounds.

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

How flexible is your ankle? I'm a little bit lighter than you and found I blew through the flex too much to use them as a real lift serve boot. I strained my ankle overflexing in flat light when I wasn't prepared for the impact. Our snow's a little denser though.

I'm planning to buy the other heel catch assembly to see if a more upright boot fixes some of that issue for me. Someone on here stiffened their boots with summer excess plastic cut from another boot and I might try that as well.
    I like them for touring except when it's too warm, or putting them on in the morning on overnight trips.

If I were going to Switzerland I'd probably take them instead of my heavy boots, ski a little more carefully and not carry so much weight around before and after.

@grinch @abraham

Well shit fuck, seems they won’t serve me as well as I thought.

I hate blowing through all the flex in a boot and it’s really tough to get a sense when flexing at room temp.

Looking at the XT3 140 as well.

I’ll have to dig around, my only issue is a moderately elevated instep which is why the hawx XTD fit so damn well.

Do you both have the newest Mimic liner?

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    How flexible is your ankle? I'm a little bit lighter than you and found I blew through the flex too much to use them as a real lift serve boot. I strained my ankle overflexing in flat light when I wasn't prepared for the impact. Our snow's a little denser though.

I'm planning to buy the other heel catch assembly to see if a more upright boot fixes some of that issue for me. Someone on here stiffened their boots with summer excess plastic cut from another boot and I might try that as well.
    I like them for touring except when it's too warm, or putting them on in the morning on overnight trips.

If I were going to Switzerland I'd probably take them instead of my heavy boots, ski a little more carefully and not carry so much weight around before and after.
    Do you use the stock liners? They're more substantial with some powerwraps in them. Not quite as powerful as a Cochise with powerwraps, but close enough for me not to care if I want lighter weight and better touring.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I'm planning to buy the other heel catch assembly to see if a more upright boot fixes some of that issue for me.
    My ankles are not very flexible and I sprained them a little on several occasions in my XTDs. Since then I have put the 13 degrees plate and have no issues both inbound and in the back-country.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    @grinch @abraham

Well shit fuck, seems they won’t serve me as well as I thought.

I hate blowing through all the flex in a boot and it’s really tough to get a sense when flexing at room temp.

Looking at the XT3 140 as well.

I’ll have to dig around, my only issue is a moderately elevated instep which is why the hawx XTD fit so damn well.

Do you both have the newest Mimic liner?

I use a tour wrap in mine. Just your ratio stood out to me. Mostly inbounds i wouldnt want an xtd and im 170lbs. Lupo c ti doesnt tour great and pita swapping the tongue in/out so i go back and forth between the 2 if im going outside the rope because they both have the same bsl so they fit my cast set up. Dedicated touring im in the vulcan but wondering if i could make a hoji fit and be the "one".. performance touring and skiing sound great and i really like the simple buckle latching. Just will it fit. I hear most people have to get work done around the ankles

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I like mine a fair bit but I'm 170ish. To reiterate what others have said, at 205 I think they'd be a quiver boot, I don't think you'd be happy with them as a predominantly inbounds boot.

Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD aka Hawk Extended aka HawX

Alright, yeah, glad I polled the collective. It’s tough. When you tell boot fitter you want an option to tour as well, seems they immediately go to a crossover boot.

Seems for 90/10 duty the Cochise and Lupo really are the preferred boots of choice.

Gotta jump into the Cochise thread (edit - there is no such thread) and ask some questions regarding fit on the new shells.

Edit::

Who is daily driving XT3’s?

Gunna go do some digging in the threads.

+1 Rec for the 13 degree plate and binding toe shims to get a flat ramp. Makes the boot feel much more responsive and less prone to blow through the flex.

FWIW, I'm about 180 pounds, currently coach and have a racing background, and while I like the Hawx for driving anything short of a FIS ski, I do sometimes miss the Lange XT 140 on firm snow (and the Lange was skiable even on FIS skis, being both a little stiffer and having a DIN sole available).

The XT3 should be better, but I haven't skied it.

Also FWIW, I went back to a boot quiver approach and have a pair of race fit Redsters for driving race skis, which is my first pair of proper race boots in over a decade. Now that I have reminded myself what I was giving up on responsiveness with AT boots, I wouldn't want to give up the race boots for their niche. YMMV. I think I put them on like six times last year versus over 80 days in the Hawx, though, so that also says something.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

I'm ~200 and ski the the 130 both inbound and touring, I just swap out the liner depending on which I'm doing. I also swapped to the 13 degree ramp cuz my ankle flexibility sucks and it's probably the best boot I've ever been in. I have had the buckle come apart probably from overflexing/chattering all the way down an icy run, that sucked, but got the buckle replaced and haven't had issues since.

i find that XT3 130 skis better than Ultra XTD 130s ( a bit more burly and more dynamic flex), but that the latter tours better while still skiing very well.

I plan to pick a new pair of Hawx Ultra XTD 130s this season to get the new buckles and whatnot. I will fit them it with the 13 degree ramp thingy (as I've found that I prefer the slightly more upright stance of the XT3s), Booster straps and FreeTour liners. They will be my dedicated touring boots for the coming seasons while the excellent XT3 130s will be my resort / 50/50 boots.

I am a light guy though at 70kg nekkid skiing 25.5s, so not comparable in stature to some the precedings clydes.

I am 6'3" 200ish and bought the 1st year xtd130s with plans to use them as a one boot quiver. I tried that for one season and bought dedicated alpine boots, they are too light to drive big skis fast under a big dude in mixed snow conditions imo.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I am 6'3" 200ish and bought the 1st year xtd130s with plans to use them as a one boot quiver. I tried that for one season and bought dedicated alpine boots, they are too light to drive big skis fast under a big dude in mixed snow conditions imo.
    Have you skied the alpine version of the Hawx? Wondering if there is any discernable difference at that weight. I've skied both at 145lbs and they feel pretty similar to me.