Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    4 mm is a lot of extra instep space, but you could grind it all away (separate the forefoot and heel) and hot glue the pieces back in place.

Thin footbeds, yes. I maybe could have gotten there with a lot of boot board grinding, but the XTD 130s were a much closer fit out of the box, so I went that route. I'm happy with them.

Should also add that the worst point for me in the Zero G was a bit forward of the real top of my instep, so the boot board was starting to taper there. The Atomic seemed like a much safer bet.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I'm happy with them.
    That's what counts. They are both awesome boots.

Anyone used both the XTD 120s and 130s? I have a pair or Intuition Tour Wrap and Pro Tour liners that I was going to swap in for touring. Is the performance between the 120 and 130 on the down really that much different? I would probably use the stock liner for both boots on resort days.

For reference, I used the Hawx Prime 120s in bounds and found them plenty of supportive for me. I also have the TLT7 for big spring days so this will be more of a 50/50 and winter touring boot. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Anyone used both the XTD 120s and 130s? I have a pair or Intuition Tour Wrap and Pro Tour liners that I was going to swap in for touring. Is the performance between the 120 and 130 on the down really that much different? I would probably use the stock liner for both boots on resort days.

For reference, I used the Hawx Prime 120s in bounds and found them plenty of supportive for me. I also have the TLT7 for big spring days so this will be more of a 50/50 and winter touring boot. Cheers!
    I've only skied the 130, but Blister's take is that the 120 has a substantially more plush liner that makes it better suited to inbounds use. Can't speak to the liner in the 120, but I wouldn't really want to ski a lot of firm inbounds snow in the 130 with the stock liner. They're strong, but not very damp.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I've only skied the 130, but Blister's take is that the 120 has a substantially more plush liner that makes it better suited to inbounds use. Can't speak to the liner in the 120, but I wouldn't really want to ski a lot of firm inbounds snow in the 130 with the stock liner. They're strong, but not very damp.
    Ya, I caught that in the Blister review. I guess I'm kind of caught in between if the extra strength of the 130 is worth the extra $100 when I'm typically skiing decent snow and not straight lining through chop in the backcountry. Especially since both boots seem to tour equally as well with a tour specific intuition liner in there.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Scored a pair of 2018/19 XTD 130's for $300 off the 2019/20 price at Comor this week... shell fit on the 27/27.5 is a titch tighter than my 27.5 RS 1.0's but pretty close. With stock liners in both boots I can feel the usual hotspots for me on outer foot/mets on the Atomics but I think they will work after shell molding/punch, possibly with LV ProTours. Seeing Tom next week, will take his word on it.

The new buckles and GripWalk are nice on the 2020 but not worth $300 if I can avoid it... will grab some STH2 WTR for use resort skis.
    Had a fitting with Tom @ Intuition already. My feet measure 109/110mm width wise. He did a bit of shell work punching out the outer forefoot/met area as well as a bit for navicular. Didn't bother with heat molding the shell as he's seen mixed results from that process. Went with Tour Wrap liners and still using my custom footbeds I had made at FanatykCo Whistler back in 2010. After molding the liners and the shell work these things feel awesome. Carpet flexing them feels so much better than than Malestrale RS I was in before and I'm really stoked to see how they ski. Walk mode feels good as well with the Tour Wrap... might need a mm or two more room in the toes for skinning/boot packing, will see how first few ski days go this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    If I had to pick one: ZeroG Guide with multiple liners, but really I'm waiting for it, and don't think it will happen. It's like wanting a 26lb XC/trail build that can spend days in the bike park. Not gonna happen.
    -

This is the best analogy I have heard for the whole "light weight touring boot but only used inbounds" fad going on..

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    This is the best analogy I have heard for the whole "light weight touring boot but only used inbounds" fad going on..
    Yup. The XTD 130 skis really well *for a 1400g touring boot*, but there's no disguising the fact that it's a 1400g touring boot. These things are all a compromise.

Ended up getting this season's 130. The stock liner seems sufficient for touring but definitely doesn't have that plush feel. I tossed an Intuition Tour Wrap in the boot which definitely stiffened it up some while making it feel a little more progressive/plush. I didn't notice much less ROM with the tour wrap but it's definitely not as smooth as the stock liner while walking. Interested to see how it feels with a plug or power wrap liner for those resort days.

So, I've been watching for a pair of these for a while. Finally snagged a pair pretty cheap, used. 18/19 model. But the reviews are right about a pretty minimal liner. I could probably make it work, but I don't think I'd be happy with it.

So, I dug out my 25 year old Scarpa T1's with Raichle Thermoflex wraps. The Thermoflex liner fits pretty well. [It's a bit thick, so I might heat mold it again.] The Tflex liner is about half the weight of the stock liner. [250G vs 130G, IIRC]

So, is there any reason I should really consider a new intuition if I'm fairly happy with the TFlex? I don't think it's going to tour as easily as the stock liner is, but it worked pretty well in the T1's.

I'd guess the answer is; try it and see. But thought I'd ask if anyone else has some secret insight I'm missing.

-Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    try it and see
    Yeah, that.

Just got back from an in store fit and flex test of some 130's.

Did a/b comparo to some 3 year old modified dynafit vulcans.

Stock hawx with unmolded stock liner fit pretty good off the shelf. Liner felt really quite nice unmolded but would probably spot mold forefoot for more width and then punch shell if required. Flex was comparable in forward stiffness with vulcans with no tongue, intuition hv luxury liners and custom forward flex stiffness/progressiveness adjuster to stiffest setting. Vulcans were a bit stiffer in rearward support.

Question is: How much stiffer do the hawx get in real world ski temps? They felt in the right range of progressiveness and support (for my preferences) in the shop but curious if they stiffen up substantially and become more brick wally?
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Just got back from an in store fit and flex test of some 130's.

Did a/b comparo to some 3 year old modified dynafit vulcans.

Stock hawx with unmolded stock liner fit pretty good off the shelf. Liner felt really quite nice unmolded but would probably spot mold forefoot for more width and then punch shell if required. Flex was comparable in forward stiffness with vulcans with no tongue, intuition hv luxury liners and custom forward flex stiffness/progressiveness adjuster to stiffest setting. Vulcans were a bit stiffer in rearward support.

Question is: How much stiffer do the hawx get in real world ski temps? They felt in the right range of progressiveness and support (for my preferences) in the shop but curious if they stiffen up substantially and become more brick wally?
    They get to a pretty real 120-130 in the cold. Ive had boots using the same memory fit shell and its very temperature sensitive.

That's a shame if true, the Atomic guy on the Blister podcast a while back sounded super pumped about the material used in the XTD line, claiming it was only 25% (I think, might not be remembering correctly) as sensitive to temperature changes as Grilamid.

I mean, my other boots (tecnica cochise) are pretty temperature sensative and they are a full PU boot. The only real difference I notice is how easy or hard it is to get the boots on or off, but once they are on it's not enough to really change how I ski. As shells get thinner and more moldable they are naturally going to be more temperature sensative. It's just the tradeoff in material properties that is being made. I highly doubt more than 5% of the skiing population will notice the small difference or care.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    I mean, my other boots (tecnica cochise) are pretty temperature sensative and they are a full PU boot. The only real difference I notice is how easy or hard it is to get the boots on or off, but once they are on it's not enough to really change how I ski. As shells get thinner and more moldable they are naturally going to be more temperature sensative. It's just the tradeoff in material properties that is being made. I highly doubt more than 5% of the skiing population will notice the small difference or care.
    Probably true. All boots are temperature sensitive. I don’t think the Hawx are really any worse. I definitely notice it on my Cochises - I can pretty easily bottom them out on the buckles when it’s warm. In comparison, the Hawx are a bit softer in cold temperatures, but stiffer when warm.

Hmmm. In my collection of boots (Lange RS 130, Lange XT Free 130, Tecnica Mach 1 130 LV, Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro, Atomic Backland Carbon) the Hawx Ultra XTD 130 seems to vary less with temperature fluctuation than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Hawx Ultra XTD 130 seems to vary less with temperature fluctuation than the others.
    Same here. My XTD120 with ProTourz feels way stiffer in my living room than my Lange RX130. On the hill they’re about the same.

Greg, do you have the new Backland Carbon? The one that doesn’t use the tongue? I have the Hawx XTD 130 from last year in a 26.5 and I tried on the new Backland Carbon in a 27.5 at SkiMo as a potential go light go far boot option. I was impressed by the carpet test for flex, weight, and walk mode ROM. Wondering if you have real world experience? Comparisons to the XTD 130 and Zero G Tour Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Greg, do you have the new Backland Carbon? The one that doesn’t use the tongue? I have the Hawx XTD 130 from last year in a 26.5 and I tried on the new Backland Carbon in a 27.5 at SkiMo as a potential go light go far boot option. I was impressed by the carpet test for flex, weight, and walk mode ROM. Wondering if you have real world experience? Comparisons to the XTD 130 and Zero G Tour Pro?
    I don't have one yet, I tried on the sample last year in my normal size and I could barely get my foot in, but I believe they have tweaked the BOA since. I have lots of days in the original Backland Carbon, though, and it's really in a different category than the Hawx Ultra XTD and the Zero G Tour Pro. Ask me again later in the season. Did you have to go up a size?

I didn’t try the 26.5, I keep losing toenails on my bigger foot with a performance fit in my current touring boots. I bet I could make a 26.5 Backland work if needed, I was trying for a comfort fit in the store though.

Yeah, different category of boot no doubt. Not a lot of real world feedback on them yet, but again I found the carpet test impressive.

They seem to have a much higher cuff height than the old Backland, the new ones are within a few mm of the XTD 130 cuff height. Claimed flex of 110 seems about right (at room temp comparison), stock power strap and liner are pretty nice (although heel hold a little loose for me in a 27.5) and around 1100 gm in a 27.5 with the stock footbeds. Walk mode ROM is ridiculous.

Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD aka Hawk Extended aka HawX

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Hmmm. In my collection of boots (Lange RS 130, Lange XT Free 130, Tecnica Mach 1 130 LV, Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro, Atomic Backland Carbon) the Hawx Ultra XTD 130 seems to vary less with temperature fluctuation than the others.
    I think you misread. We are saying the same thing

But with a different boot collection.

im going to sound like a huge jong, but who cares ... how the fuck do you take these boots off!

i've got some Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 130. i haven't skiied them yet, but I'm wearing them in around the house and damn do they fit and feel so nice. they're millimeter perfect for my feet.
    problem is, that they're soo tight that I can't seem to get them off without pinching and getting the tongue of the liner caught between the two halves of the shell, right at the instep area.
    i'm worried that repeatedly getting the liner caught will damage it pretty quickly.

i don't have the same problem with scarpa freedom, maestrale, zero g tour, nor other alpine ski boots. i think its because the liner is so thin with these boots and because they're so tight.
    if i try really really hard i can get my fingers caught and bleeding instead, so there's that i guess.
    ill probably work out a technique eventually, but it'd be nice to skip to the end instead of damaging the boots.

so yeah, lol, can someone who has these boots give me instructions on taking them off
    in the mean time, i guess ill just sleep in them.
    Last edited by anything; 11-12-2019 at 07:36 PM.