Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I've resort skied my Hawx Ultra 130 for a few seasons and now looking to upgrade my touring boots from the trusty Mercuries. I'm assuming the XTD will be a slam dunk to transition to and that it has the same boot mold as the normal Hawx Ultra (I know the bsl is a bit longer for the tech inserts)?

Being gear-obsessed the Zero G Tour Pro is very enticing. But coming from a 15-17° forward lean with Hawx and the Mercuries, am I just overthinking another option and the jump to a 12-13° on the ZGTP?
    I don't think those publishes lean numbers always translate to how boots ski and feel. Try them on. Maybe Hawx Ultra on one foot and ZGTP on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Being gear-obsessed the Zero G Tour Pro is very enticing. But coming from a 15-17° forward lean with Hawx and the Mercuries, am I just overthinking another option and the jump to a 12-13° on the ZGTP?
    No. The stance on the Hawx Ultra XTD is right on for me, but I haven't quite found the sweet spot with the Tour Pro. I have the chip on 13 degrees and it's not quite enough, but I don't really want to use a relatively heavy Lange shim (with a patch of Velcro) to get 2 more degrees on a primarily touring boot . . . so far I've compromised by buckling the top buckle on the Tecnica looser. May try drilling a bunch of holes in a Lange or K2 shim next.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    No. The stance on the Hawx Ultra XTD is right on for me, but I haven't quite found the sweet spot with the Tour Pro. I have the chip on 13 degrees and it's not quite enough, but I don't really want to use a relatively heavy Lange shim (with a patch of Velcro) to get 2 more degrees on a primarily touring boot . . . so far I've compromised by buckling the top buckle on the Tecnica looser. May try drilling a bunch of holes in a Lange or K2 shim next.
    On the other side of the spectrum, I got the 13° flip chips for my XTDs and prefer them at 13 vs 15.

Thanks for the thoughts, first step is definitely getting them on my feet!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Great thread. Couple questions for the collective.

I may be replacing my Maestrale RS2s with the 19/20 Hawx XTD 130s next year for the tighter heel cup fit and stiffer forward pressure. (I tried on this year's model, and the shell is unchanged for next year.) This will be a dedicated touring boot. I get about 30-40 days touring a year, and have KR2 for resort. Prior touring boots: heavy-ass alpine boots in frame bindings (haha!), Garmont Adrenalins, first gen Maestrale RS, and tele boots galore.

(1) For those who have owned a couple seasons, how has durability been?

(2) I've read of complaints of "leakage" (snow or water leaking into the boot) in the first year's model run. I think but don't know they resolved that. (I read that somewhere.) Anyone out there "leaking"?? haha

(3) Any complaints with the flat sole for a touring-only rig? GripWalk in next year's model. I know they will be worse scrambling and rocking than a 9523 rockered sole, but how do these bootpack and do on firm as compared to a 9523 rockered touring sole (like on Maestrale). Just want to figure out if I'll be giving up a lot with the GW sole. I don't plan on using these with resort bindings, so don't really care about that.

(4) I would use these on multi-day tours in addition to long days in the backcountry and shorty dawn patrol laps. Anyone using these for big days or multi-days with positive results? I know they won't walk as good as the F1, Backland, etc class, but I'm fine doing multi-days in my RS2, so yeah...

(5) Anyone else go from RS2s to these? I was thinking I might try to salvage the RS2s with a tour wrap liner, but next year's upgrades to the Hawx and the better heel cup fit for me make me think this might be a better option over all.
    Try on the Roxa R3 130 too.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    On the other side of the spectrum, I got the 13° flip chips for my XTDs and prefer them at 13 vs 15.
    One more data point: with skinny calves, I feel much better with my XTD 130s at the most forward lean position (17 degrees I think?). If I use the more upright setting, I feel like I need to add big spoilers to get in the proper lower leg position. For me, 17 degrees and no spoiler in my XTD 130s feels about like my Lange XT 130 Freetours with large spoilers added.

Have skinny calves/low volume lower legs/ankles. Considering the Hawx for the next boot.

Curious though; How effective is lateral power transmission if powerstrap/top buckle isn't buckled tight? I prefer a looser setting in deep bottomless power and some 2d choppy hard snow conditions for shock absorbsion/for/aft travel and a bit more suspension in forward flex. Based on very limited experience with overlap touring boots that weren't especially low volume in the shaft, I found that strap/buckles had to be tight to maintain precise lateral power transmission. It was a problem especially notable in some solly mtn labs where if the power strap and buckles weren't really snug, i could visually see a pretty dramatic lateral and almost torsional twisting of the boot and they were basically unskiable for me unless buckled tight. Also have a pair of Garmont Deliriums and they don't show this characteristic at all; they're very stiff even with buckles basically 'open'.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 06-24-2019 at 04:06 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Have skinny calves/low volume lower legs/ankles. Considering the Hawx for the next boot.

Curious though; How effective is lateral power transmission if powerstrap/top buckle isn't buckled tight?
    Never tried this exact experiment with the XTD 130s, but the overall calf and ankle volume of the shell is on the low side, such that even with the stock liner I don’t have to buckle the upper buckles much to fit securely around my skinny lower leg and ankle. That, coupled with the fact that the XTD 130 shell itself seems plenty stiff, makes me think you wouldn’t get the lateral sloppy feeling you had in your MTN Labs (which seemed higher volume in the lower leg and ankle than the XTDs when I tried them in the shop) if you ran your XTD buckles a little loose.

How effective is lateral power transmission if powerstrap/top buckle isn't buckled tight?
    The boot/skier equation always depends on skier mass and style, but at 5'8" and 170 lbs I found it skied fine with no power strap and top buckle medium tight. The flex is more progressive, the boot is lighter and less hassle in transition, and the snug fit in the heel and midfoot means you can shift your foot subtly and put the ski on edge. Worked well for everything from 186 OG Bodacious to 180 Rustler 11 to 178 Zero G 108.

Have skinny calves/low volume lower legs/ankles.

Curious though; How effective is lateral power transmission if powerstrap/top buckle isn't buckled tight?
    I've got really skinny calves/ankles with medium width forefoot and the Hawx Ultra XTD 120 was a great fit for me. 90% of the time, I skied without the power (completely removed) and I even removed the front-most buckle as well. I thought it skied great and forward lean was perfect for me on the 17 setting. The power strap added a little more umph for charging but I never felt like it was worth the extra hassle for the backcountry. Even in bounds, I felt I could rail just fine without the strap.

If a boot fits you really well and supports your foot and leg efficiently, my opinion is that you don't need to crank down all over the place to get good performance. YMMV.

Thanks for the intel, guys. Looking forward to giving the boot a good fit test in the fall. Have some dramatic butchering mods to experiment with on my Vulcans so we'll see if they survive or need replacement.
    Master of mediocrity.

How is the Hawx Ultra XTD for slightly wide forefoot? Current boots are Scarpa Maestrale RS (the first gen) with stock liners, shells needed a bit of work on the outside edge of forefoot but nothing crazy. Looking to replace my Maestrale RS and my 10 year old heavy alpine boots with one pair of do it all that are capable of touring days and Whistler resort pow skiing. Will be skiing in Shifts exclusively and probabyl some GripWalk alpine bindings when I start teaching my kid to ski in a few years.

Will be getting Intuition liners off the hop and getting them fit @ Intuition Vancouver so of course I'll take Tom's opinion, but wanted to know if I should even be considering these. They tick all the boxes on paper for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    How is the Hawx Ultra XTD for slightly wide forefoot?
    How wide is "slightly?" My foot measures about 103-104mm and I have a large bunion on the right which makes it around 110mm total across the met heads. I heat molded the shell and punched it manually afterwards and it fits like a glove. If you fit in a Maestrale RS with a little work it should be no problem.

How wide is "slightly?" My foot measures about 103-104mm and I have a large bunion on the right which makes it around 110mm total across the met heads. I heat molded the shell and punched it manually afterwards and it fits like a glove. If you fit in a Maestrale RS with a little work it should be no problem.
    Another data point: My feet are about 270mm long and 106mm wide. Needed similar punches on the RS and the XTD's (after molding the whole shell) in a size 26.5. XTD's have a smaller heel, which hurt at first, but now fits better than the RS's. Will need to have the XTD's punched for a bit of length, as my toes get a little banged up in walk mode, especially kicking steps. XTD's also have considerable less volume in the forefoot. I tried using the Intuitions from my Scarpas, but the velcro that attaches the tongue was too thick to squeeze in there without crushing the top of my foot.

My XTDs shell heat molded to 105mm. They then got punched to 110 mm. They can sure take more as a friend got his punched to 110mm + (ie it looks like a tumour)

I'm not actually sure how wide they measure, but the punch on the OG RS wasn't crazy by any means. Your feet give me hope though, pretty sure mine are not that wide.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Another data point: My feet are about 270mm long and 106mm wide. Needed similar punches on the RS and the XTD's (after molding the whole shell) in a size 26.5. XTD's have a smaller heel, which hurt at first, but now fits better than the RS's. Will need to have the XTD's punched for a bit of length, as my toes get a little banged up in walk mode, especially kicking steps. XTD's also have considerable less volume in the forefoot. I tried using the Intuitions from my Scarpas, but the velcro that attaches the tongue was too thick to squeeze in there without crushing the top of my foot.
    I think my heels are pretty typical and the RS are not quite as tight there as I would like (for descending anyway, they are fine for skinning). Good to have another data point though.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    My XTDs shell heat molded to 105mm. They then got punched to 110 mm. They can sure take more as a friend got his punched to 110mm + (ie it looks like a tumour)
    Your toe gives me hope these boots will work for me . Tom did a great job on my buddy's Zero G Guide Pros and subsequently his Hawx.. the Zero G's had a hilarious alien bulge on them.

Thanks guys, looking forward to an upgrade.

Scored a pair of 2018/19 XTD 130's for $300 off the 2019/20 price at Comor this week... shell fit on the 27/27.5 is a titch tighter than my 27.5 RS 1.0's but pretty close. With stock liners in both boots I can feel the usual hotspots for me on outer foot/mets on the Atomics but I think they will work after shell molding/punch, possibly with LV ProTours. Seeing Tom next week, will take his word on it.

The new buckles and GripWalk are nice on the 2020 but not worth $300 if I can avoid it... will grab some STH2 WTR for use resort skis.

Tried on a pair of 18/19 xtd 130 in 29.5 and shell was way too short. As reference have Nordica speed machines 130 in same size that fit perfectly. Width was fine, but length was not doable. Wondering if boot was mislabeled as it was sales item?

Quote Originally Posted by McDee View Post
    Tried on a pair of 18/19 xtd 130 in 29.5 and shell was way too short. As reference have Nordica speed machines 130 in same size that fit perfectly. Width was fine, but length was not doable. Wondering if boot was mislabeled as it was sales item?
    They do run a little short. I'm okay on length out of the box in most 26.5s but needed a little shell work for length in these.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    They do run a little short. I'm okay on length out of the box in most 26.5s but needed a little shell work for length in these.
    Same here.

Agreed. I can squeeze into a Z-G Tour Pro in a 25.5, but doing so in an XTD would have been a fool's errand.

Probably 3-4 mm difference between the two - not a lot, but in my case, just enough to matter.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Scored a pair of 2018/19 XTD 130's for $300 off the 2019/20 price at Comor this week... shell fit on the 27/27.5 is a titch tighter than my 27.5 RS 1.0's but pretty close. With stock liners in both boots I can feel the usual hotspots for me on outer foot/mets on the Atomics but I think they will work after shell molding/punch, possibly with LV ProTours. Seeing Tom next week, will take his word on it.

The new buckles and GripWalk are nice on the 2020 but not worth $300 if I can avoid it... will grab some STH2 WTR for use resort skis.
    Hah, same here, tried on the 2020s at the Kits store in 27/27.5 and then ordered the 2019s online. The 18/19s seem to have quite a bit of stock to get through, I see them on sale all over, with decent size availability. Comor has by far the best price though.

no luck on my size at Comor (online at least). looking to replace my Backlands as they just never fit well and have done a lot of work to make them work but feel better fitting boots would make a large difference. hoping local shops might have some 18/19 in stock still

Although i did order some Oakley Airbrakes from them on eBay a couple of days ago for an awesome price

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Agreed. I can squeeze into a Z-G Tour Pro in a 25.5, but doing so in an XTD would have been a fool's errand.

Probably 3-4 mm difference between the two - not a lot, but in my case, just enough to matter.

... Thom
    Meanwhile I can't wear Zero Gs at all. Length is a non-issue, but even the 27.5 is way too tight over my instep.

Meanwhile I can't wear Zero Gs at all. Length is a non-issue, but even the 27.5 is way too tight over my instep.
    Assuming you have a reasonably thin footbed in place? You know the bootboard of the Zero G Tour Pro is 7.5 mm thick under the instep, and you can easily grind off 4 mm or so.