Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD aka Hawk Extended aka HawX

Atomic Hawk Ultra XTD aka Hawk Extended aka HawX

I'll throw up the stuff I got from Atomic here. Going to be away skiing next week and not going to get the boot for another couple of weeks but put the questions here and I'll poke around for answers

Doesn't look like you can stick full rubber soles on it per Summit's question

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16x9_PPT_Presentation_1718_TECH_VISUAL_HAWX_ULTRA_XTD_ENG.jpg 
Views:	1945 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	198354

Name:  Slide1.JPG
Views: 16204
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  Slide2.JPG
Views: 15936
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  Slide3.JPG
Views: 15475
Size:  36.6 KB

Wildsnow link here

https://www.wildsnow.com/21401/atomi...ring-gear-new/
    Last edited by LeeLau; 02-21-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Atomic Hawk 130 flex touring boot - for 2017 - 8

Bootfitter told me to get these. Looks like a gooder!

My Vulcans are falling apart. Anyone going to SIA try to hook me up an early pair of 29's please! Hahah.

Lee you are too light to test those, grab me a 25 and I'll give them a good flex

I haven't followed the Backland info closely. Sounds like this liner is similar... what's it like? Comparison to Intuition?

Quite interested in the general last shape and fit.

If it has the same last and fit as my Hawx130 Alpine boot I'll be looking hard at this boot.

Thread here with the designer for Q&A http://www.newschoolers.com/forum/th...Hawx-Ultra-XTD

Any idea on what the sizing run will be? Will any or all models go down to true 22 like the Backland?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Thread here with the designer for Q&A http://www.newschoolers.com/forum/th...Hawx-Ultra-XTD
    Dude is super active on Newschoolers. A must follow if you are interested in Atomic boots. Also just really helpful in general.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Any idea on what the sizing run will be? Will any or all models go down to true 22 like the Backland?
    From that thread on newschoolers:

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid
    Sizing for men= 24/24.5 - 29/29.5
    Sizing for women = 22/22.5 - 27/27.5
    True shell sizes and liners on all sizes

For the US, 130 = 799$, 120/110W = 699$, 100/90W = 599$
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    Dude is super active on Newschoolers. A must follow if you are interested in Atomic boots. Also just really helpful in general.
    Seriously. Dude is one of the best members on that site for gear discussions or questions.

I heard about these boots a month or two ago and if I hadn't needed a new pair of touring boots this season I would have gone with these.

The walkmode is bomber (and easily fixable), RoM looks amazing, and the heat moldable shell should fix soooo many issues.

Holy crap. That guy is good. Awesome info. Matthew Manser from Austria fyi.

Judo and Rob they only have them in sz 27 right now as a limited ryn

Bump for Timberridge

Noram rep tells me that they would prefer to call it the Hawk EXTENDED. Unfortunate connotation for XTD when said a bit too quickly perhaps.

Got some boots and a PK and will put up pics and some weights for gearnerds when removing the forefoot buckle and replacing stock liner with Protour liner

Placeholder for pics

1445g actual in sz 27.5 (bsl 314mm) - was quoted at 1420g in PR for sz 26.5 so it's pretty close to being accurate. 10mm +/- for every size up down. 99m last in the 27.5 size. Sized 27.5 Backland and same for with Hawk Extended. I'm 27.5 Dynafit Khion/Vulcan./Beast/TLT5 and 6/Titan/ZZeus. Also 27.5 for all Scarpas. Sz 26 in Tecnica and Salomon.

Liner is 292g. ProTours are 220g so that's 72g weight right there if necessary

Just to be complete - shell without liner is 1147g. Forefoot buckle is removeable and I will weight that in a bit and leave this as a placeholder.

So boot with ProTour liner in sz 27.5 and Powerstraps would be 1373g

Boot with ProTour without forefoot buckle and Powerstraps = ???
    Last edited by LeeLau; 02-21-2017 at 04:53 PM.

I did ski these a bit and I even went out for about 2 hours with a Vulcan on one foot and a Hawx 130 XTD on the other.

Flex a little nicer than a vulcan, like a two piece should.
    Slightly stiffer than a Vulcan with NO tongue.
    Actually, they ski pretty similar to a Vulcan with No tongue... slight edge to the Atomic.

Hawx stiffness easily the equal of any other "130" tour boot out there (Lange Freetour 130) and stiffer than some like Scott's new 130 boot, except the Hawx 130 is lighter than the equal or softer competition.

Vulcans with Tongue are stiffer.

Walk as well as a Vulcan with NO tongue, way better than a Vulcan with tongue.
    About 11x easier/faster to buckle/mode transition than a Vulcan.... way less fiddle factor. Almost would buy them to replaces the Vulcs for that alone.

Atomic has a winner here I think.

Other notes: the prod model will have a thicker tongue than the liner that they had (good thing as the thin tongue liner had me at full clicks on the cuff buckles). Also, I had heel lift with everything stock, but when I threw in my own footbeds, heel lift went away... nice. I'm frustratingly between sizes... pretty close to a 2 finger fit in the 26.5 and maybe less than a 1/2 finger fit in the 25.5... I like 1-1.5 on a multipurpose boot like this...

PS... HawX not HawK you should edit your OP post title in advanced so that this thread will get picked up by search
    Last edited by Summit; 02-21-2017 at 04:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    If it has the same last and fit as my Hawx130 Alpine boot I'll be looking hard at this boot.
    it does

Thanks for the first impressions!!

How is the heel hold compared to the Vulcan while touring? That's the only thing really keeping me in that boot. Was your heel lift in the 26 or 25? What size Vulcan do you wear?

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Heel hold compared to Vulcan? That's the only thing really keeping me in that boot.

Was your heel lift in the 26 or 25? What size Vulcan do you wear?
    It was pretty darn good once I had the insole in. 26.5 Hawx and Vulcs (my normal shell size for any boot)

Awesome. Thanks!

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

Other notes: the prod model will have a thicker tongue than the liner that they had (good thing as the thin tongue liner had me at full clicks on the cuff buckles). Also, I had heel lift with everything stock, but when I threw in my own footbeds, heel lift went away... nice. I'm frustratingly between sizes... pretty close to a 2 finger fit in the 26.5 and maybe less than a 1/2 finger fit in the 25.5... I like 1-1.5 on a multipurpose boot like this...

PS... HawX not HawK you should edit your OP post title in advanced so that this thread will get picked up by search
    I tried editing the thread title but it didn't work. Annoying.

man you wrote this one pretty much the way I did. I tried the boot without the volume spacers and had to clamp down the buckles a bit too much for my taste. With the volume spacers it will be better for sure.

I'll try the Vulcan one foot and Hawk on another foot too

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

man you wrote this one pretty much the way I did. I tried the boot without the volume spacers and had to clamp down the buckles a bit too much for my taste. With the volume spacers it will be better for sure.

I'll be very interest in your opinion on the mixed boot trials.

Title... maybe a mod can fix it? I forsee this Hawx thread become a long multipage thread just like the Vulcan thread

Gratuitous gear shot. I'll try them with the Backland 109 and the Backland bindings

Generic Azn foot. No arch. Big tumour on met. Splayed out forefoot. 110mm to work with for a 99m last.

Atomic memoryfit for the Hawk Extended is via the "alpine style". Theoretical expansion of 5mm in the boot and approx 5mm in the liner which is pretty close. Pre-fit I felt pressure at both sides of the forefoot

Post fitting I felt fine in forefoot. A bit too much space at forefoot and instep which I will try to alleviate by using volume spacers which are included with the boot or perhaps insoles (which add weight of course)

Looks amazing . Not your foot obviously.....all business with those boots. Can't wait to hear the deets

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

I ski the Vulcans as my primary boot with the tongues and took a few runs in the Hawk 130 (the black one) boot at Mt Bachelor last week right after skiing my Vulcans. I have long legs and struggle with flexing over the top of the boot. Because of that sensation, I tend to like really stiff boots (vulcan) that aren't progressive. When I got in the Hawk, it felt soft standing around, but when I got it on snow, it felt very responsive and powerful enough to drive big skis through heavy cut-up snow at speed. Given that it's meaningfully lighter than the Vulcan, and MUCH better at walking than the MTN lab, I think it'll be the new king of the stiff touring boot category. For those that think it matters, I still think that the vulcan is stiffer and feel like the Hawk is on par with the MTN lab.

I'm curious if any ladies have gotten to ski the hawk 110 boot at the demos? Noone from our shop was able to try it but we're still shopping for a replacement for the w's mercury/Beast

Berry berry intradasting...
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 02-22-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

So, I'ma be out $800 plus 3x WTR alpine bindings next fall. Great.

Interested to see if the plastics on these seem more resilient than those in the Lange FreeTour.

I'd like to see a shoot out between the Lange FreeTour, Tecninca Cochise (2017 version) and this boot as a quiver of one. (Understanding that yes, they all aim for slightly different bits of the spectrum of in- vs out of bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Hawx stiffness easily the equal of any other "130" tour boot out there (Lange Freetour 130) and stiffer than some like Scott's new 130 boot, except the Hawx 130 is lighter than the equal or softer competition.
    Stiffer than other 130 boots but softer than the Vulcan with a stiff tongue? Huh? It's been a while since I tried one on, but I definitely found the Vulcan with tongue softer than several 130 boots... Freedom RS and Cochise 130 to be precise. I haven't skied the Freetour 130, but I did find it to be softer than the Cochise at winter temperatures outside.