Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1007
    Quote Originally Posted by oltrepiave View Post
    i was looking for a cheap (probably used) pair of alpine boots to use whenever i ski lifts. Intend to use such pair with my (old version) BentChet 120 with alpine binders.

I did plan to get some Ultra S but I've missed all the good deals.

My feet love the Ultra XTDs (a bit too much space in the toebox tbh) so I was wondering what some of you guys with feet similar to mine are using as a more rugged, no-frills resort boot (no need for gripwalk soles btw).
    Anyone using redster CS? Other alternatives?

I have worked in a shop so I've had the chance to borrow/try out a wide range of boots for short days/runs (everything from Redster Pros to FT Tom Wallisch). Don't wanna splash too much cash though cause these days XTDs get used 90% of my season.

Thanks
    If your feet are comfortable in an Ultra, then it's very easy to get a Redster CS working for you. Definitely a powerful and precise boot, highly recommended for resort bashing.

Might not be the liner. Might be shin bang. In MA try skiMD or Boston ski and tennis. I haven’t tried skiMD but have heard good things. Boston ski and tennis is hit or miss depending on who you get. Ski haus and ski monster suck for boot footing (in my experience only).

Or get zip fits. And make sure your buckles are tight and even in tightness across the top two buckles.

Has anyone here with a low volume foot really loved the fit of the Hawx, and then found another touring boot that also fit them very well? Especially if it was a slightly lighter and more touring specific boot?

I've been in Ultra XTD 130s since the year they came out, and it's the first time a touring boot has truly fit me well, allowing me to ski with precision and confidence that previously eluded me when touring. I'm currently touring in an Intuition Pro Wrap liner which is admittedly restrictive when skinning, but it holds my narrow ankle, heel and low volume instep better than anything I've found. I've also used Luxury liners which work, and are a little more comfortable, but have less heel hold, power and responsiveness. My complaints around the aspects of this boot that make it a hybrid boot: the long boot sole for compatibility with non tech bindings (which I don't use), clunky buckles, and the shaped heel pocket (which do make it ski great) also adding restriction when skinning - especially on flat terrain.

I've been curious if there were any boots in the lighter weight, touring-only class that might be able to also work well, but so far haven't found anything that I feel would work. For spring skiing or faster/longer touring the Hawx can work but do start to feel a little clunky. I tried on the Backland Carbon, which had what felt like a vague unshaped ankle/instep area to me. The Salomon S/Lab MTN felt more substantial in the cuff which was nice, although the foot shape was off for me. I felt like I needed to crank on the boa to get a responsive feel, which led to a lot of pressure. In both cases I tried swapping between the stock liner and some others. It seems like those boots are really made to work with the thin stock liner or one similar. I have trouble getting along with thin liners - pressure points, etc.

I may just end up realizing I can't have my cake and eat it too in terms of fit and tourability, which might lead me to experiment with more flexible liners again for longer touring trips, and sticking with the XTDs. I also have the older black/orange shells with the clunky buckles - it looks like the newer model buckles are more convenient for transitions.

Anyways I'd be curious to hear if anyone can recommend other boots that also worked well for them. Thanks for reading my boot journal...

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Has anyone here with a low volume foot really loved the fit of the Hawx, and then found another touring boot that also fit them very well? Especially if it was a slightly lighter and more touring specific boot?
    Interested to hear responses to this as I'm in a similar position with similarly skinny feet and the XTD is the first touring boot that has fit me reasonably well. My stock liners are done so need to decide whether to try a new boot or new liners - advice welcome on liners for something that will take up a bit of volume and adding stiffness would be welcome even if it gives up a bit of walkability. I would be looking to keep Kingpin/Shift compatibility though.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    Interested to hear responses to this as I'm in a similar position with similarly skinny feet and the XTD is the first touring boot that has fit me reasonably well. My stock liners are done so need to decide whether to try a new boot or new liners - advice welcome on liners for something that will take up a bit of volume and adding stiffness would be welcome even if it gives up a bit of walkability. I would be looking to keep Kingpin/Shift compatibility though.
    Which year of stock liner do you have? I had the original orange ones which were crazy thin and soft IMO. There is a wide range of intuition liners that can work depending on your foot and comfort needs. The bonus for touring is that they tend to be very lightweight.

When it comes to experimenting with volume and different liners, the first thing I recommend is getting a few sets of these 1/16" boot shims. Just one under your liner can make a boot go from sloppy to precision fit if vertical volume was the issue. They are really useful and easy to swap in and out.
    https://www.tognar.com/ski-boot-insole-shims-pr/

I was just listening to one of the blister podcast, getting all excited about the upcoming Backland XTD, until I heard the dreaded words "....for a Prime foot shape"

I was just listening to one of the blister podcast, getting all excited about the upcoming Backland XTD, until I heard the dreaded words "....for a Prime foot shape"
    Yes, you've seen my foot and I actually skied in one for ~4 hours (although it was a 27.5) straight out of the box . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Yes, you've seen my foot and I actually skied in one for ~4 hours (although it was a 27.5) straight out of the box . . .
    The boot design looks like a dream, but I really struggle to achieve boot nirvana with anything but a tight heel pocket and low instep. I wish there was a non-prime version coming, but it seems hard to imagine for a boot that is fully touring-oriented. With the Hawx XTD because a heavier, more downhill oriented boot I don't know if there is really a replacement out there for the older Hawx XTD in terms of full touring use.

The boot design looks like a dream, but I really struggle to achieve boot nirvana with anything but a tight heel pocket and low instep. I wish there was a non-prime version coming, but it seems hard to imagine for a boot that is fully touring-oriented. With the Hawx XTD because a heavier, more downhill oriented boot I don't know if there is really a replacement out there for the older Hawx XTD in terms of full touring use.
    Well, there also aren't any boots with built-in pockets for heel spurs . . . There are some great new touring designs out there, but to my knowledge they are uniformly "medium" volume shapes (actually mid-wide is more accurate) and none has a narrow ankle or heel pocket. This choice is dictated by the volume of boots sold in this category, which is small compared to alpine or heavier hybrid models. Not sure what to tell you, but don't hold your breath waiting for a narrow touring boot under 1300-1400 grams.

Well, there also aren't any boots with built-in pockets for heel spurs . . . There are some great new touring designs out there, but to my knowledge they are uniformly "medium" volume shapes (actually mid-wide is more accurate) and none has a narrow ankle or heel pocket. This choice is dictated by the volume of boots sold in this category, which is small compared to alpine or heavier hybrid models. Not sure what to tell you, but don't hold your breath waiting for a narrow touring boot under 1300-1400 grams.
    Thanks sharing your knowledge, Greg. I assumed as much regarding the small volume of sales and the fact that they need to fit a wide variety of feet, as well as that people generally need more room when touring. When the XTD came out it was in retrospect surprising for its skiability/tourability relative to its peers, and considering the low volume fit. It’s interesting to hear that the new XTD is going to be more burly and resort friendly. It makes sense for most as those looking for tight fitting touring boots are clearly rare.

FWIW it does seem like some touring boots are sort of narrow in the forefoot, but that they don’t have low volume ankle/heel/instep fit.

Wide forefoot is actually ok with me, but how is the heel and ankle area compared to say the Zero G Tour Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Wide forefoot is actually ok with me, but how is the heel and ankle area compared to say the Zero G Tour Pro?
    Hard to say at this point because I sized up for the demo (it was a hut trip in the dark with no option of returning to the car). My gut feeling is it would be roomier through the ankle than the Zero G in the same size.

Hut trip in the dark is a hell of a boot test. I usually ski groomers when it’s sunny and in sight of the car

My local boot fitter has had success squeezing the heel of my Backlands narrower. It makes the fit tighter; it also makes it a little more effort to get into the boot for me. I think the Backland series will always feel roomy in the instep since it's a cabrio boot. My boot fitter also squeezes my toe box lower and wider for me.

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    I ski mine as a one boot quiver with pro tour liner for touring and a lange rx liner i pulled from those boots for inbounds days.

It works pretty well but I am nervous about the wear and tear in putting on them, especially when one buckle came apart on one of the first times they saw some icy chunder.

They also seem a little under gunned when I'm really getting after it driving heavy on3p skis (and I'm 6'3, 210lbs) and can get folded up occasionally.

Considering getting something burlier like a cochise 130 as an inbounds boot that can climb if needed, and the hawx as touring/travel boot to make it last.
    I scored a deal ($250) on Hawx Ultra Xtd 120 from Evo and have concerns about durability. I already have a lighter pair of Dynafits for dedicated touring so these would slot in more for everyday resort use. I spend more time skiing with kids these days than raging and these sound perfect for that slow skiing, waffles and hot chocolate, and occasional hike to grab dropped gloves kind of day. But on those days I also spend a good amount of time in the park going off jumps and what not and wonder if these would fall apart from repeated hucking and falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason4 View Post
    My local boot fitter has had success squeezing the heel of my Backlands narrower. It makes the fit tighter; it also makes it a little more effort to get into the boot for me. I think the Backland series will always feel roomy in the instep since it's a cabrio boot. My boot fitter also squeezes my toe box lower and wider for me.
    I have never heard of molding a shell to be narrower. Interesting...

Frank at Backcountry Essentials?

Quote Originally Posted by KillerMonkey View Post
    I scored a deal ($250) on Hawx Ultra Xtd 120 from Evo and have concerns about durability. I already have a lighter pair of Dynafits for dedicated touring so these would slot in more for everyday resort use. I spend more time skiing with kids these days than raging and these sound perfect for that slow skiing, waffles and hot chocolate, and occasional hike to grab dropped gloves kind of day. But on those days I also spend a good amount of time in the park going off jumps and what not and wonder if these would fall apart from repeated hucking and falls.
    I put 300+ days on my last pair of XTD 130s inbounds, the only issue I ever had was the walk mode coming off in the parking lot when the bolts got loose. Never broke anything else skiing hard. I'm not a big person and generally take care of gear so YMMV

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

it has been mentioned somewhere in the earlier pages so i do know that some people own this iteration of the ultra S.

https://www.bettineschisport.com/it/...2020-2021.html

Should be the 19-20 version. It does have the mimic but it does not have the reinforced shell.

How has it performed for those who do own it? Decent flex? No excessive "bellowing" as described by the Blister guys in their recent review (and also noticed by myself whenever I ski my XTD inbounds)? How about durability?

Fitwise I know they'll fit me

So if I want to mess around with forward lean on the XTD, how is it adjusted? Do I need to buy a different walk mode bar thing?

Lmao the backland crushes my instep

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    So if I want to mess around with forward lean on the XTD, how is it adjusted? Do I need to buy a different walk mode bar thing?
    First generation Ultra XTD - you have two settings stock: 15° & 17°. If you want to go more upright, you need to buy an aftermarket 13° flip chip through your local Atomic dealer.

Second generation Ultra XTD (23/24 season release) - all three settings are built into the ski/walk mechanism

All Prime XTD - all three settings are built into the ski/walk mechanism

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    First generation Ultra XTD - you have two settings stock: 15° & 17°. If you want to go more upright, you need to buy an aftermarket 13° flip chip through your local Atomic dealer.

Second generation Ultra XTD (23/24 season release) - all three settings are built into the ski/walk mechanism

All Prime XTD - all three settings are built into the ski/walk mechanism
    Skimo has those for $50. Anyone have a set of the 13/19 that would be cheaper?

Frank at Backcountry Essentials?
    Yes. He’s worked magic on boots to fit my difficult feet.

GF got the hawx. She has a lot of pressure from the liner where it transitions from fabric to pleather. We did not mold them yet. Anyone deal with the same issue? Where's this magic mimic foam?