Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    ^^ With my luck, I'll find the boot in my size for like $300 about two days after T-P delivers them.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Just Pulled the trigger on the 130. I really Needed to get out of my titan UL with close to 600 days and sloppy cuffs.

The XTD has been on my radar since this thread was started last year. (thnx resident gear whores for the great info)

I Loved the fit and flex out of box once I finally tried them on, but white pine shop in PC listed them for $950 (go fuck yourself)

Only con is bunching of the "wet sock" of a liner on entry and removal, but hope to get a season out of them before going back to the trusted intuition liner.

Will report back once I get some days in, but stoked on the purchase and had to tell someone, and thanks to my fantasy football team managers (losers!) for the money, and my new boots
    Last edited by My Pet Powder Goat; 01-04-2018 at 02:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I actually like the liner,but the bunching of the liner is really annoying.
    Total boot nerdy but I'm may buy this thing just to avoid the annoying entry-

http://thebootster.com

The videos at small NY ski areas are so comical they are almost cool.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    I actually like the liner,but the bunching of the liner is really annoying.
    Total boot nerdy but I'm may buy this thing just to avoid the annoying entry-

http://thebootster.com

The videos at small NY ski areas are so comical they are almost cool.
    I have a similar thing, bought from England, and it really helps.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Just Pulled the trigger on the 130. I really Needed to get out of my titan UL with close to 600 days and sloppy cuffs.

The XTD has been on my radar since this thread was started last year. (thnx resident gear whores for the great info)

I Loved the fit and flex out of box once I finally tried them on, but white pine shop in PC listed them for $950 (go fuck yourself)

Only con is bunching of the "wet sock" of a liner on entry and removal, but hope to get a season out of them before going back to the trusted intuition liner.

Will report back once I get some days in, but stoked on the purchase and had to tell someone, and thanks to my fantasy football team managers (losers!) for the money, and my new boots
    Did you try on the 120? Still deciding if I want to get the 120 with the better liner for in bounds and just throw a pro tour in for touring days.

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic84 View Post
    Did you try on the 120? Still deciding if I want to get the 120 with the better liner for in bounds and just throw a pro tour in for touring days.
    Nah, man. I can't stand tacoing a boot.

If you like a softer ride, get the 120, If it's too soft throw in a powerwrap and a good booster strap. That's what I did with my titanUL, and it stiffened them up 10 and made for a much smoother, progressive flex
    get paid

Anyone here mounted Beast heel spurs on this boot? Looking at doing it, but the metal Beast heel fitting sits a little bit above the plastic lip of the Hawx boot heel. Anything to be concerned about?

The Beast heel fitting sat flush on the old boots (Dynafit One), but those were not WTR boots, so thinking that might be the difference.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Anyone here mounted Beast heel spurs on this boot? Looking at doing it, but the metal Beast heel fitting sits a little bit above the plastic lip of the Hawx boot heel. Anything to be concerned about?

The Beast heel fitting sat flush on the old boots (Dynafit One), but those were not WTR boots, so thinking that might be the difference.
    Just file it down OR some have just cut the wings off
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The entire lip of the metal Beast fitting is higher than the lip of the boot heel. Filing or grinding that down flush would take awhile.

the entire lip or the entire wing?

just scribe it and file it or if you got a dremel use the mill attachment ... will make short work of it

Subscribed. I'm in the same boat. I'd like to get them flush so I can possibly use them with alpine, or framed bindings.
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the entire lip or the entire wing?

just scribe it and file it or if you got a dremel use the mill attachment ... will make short work of it
    100% of the entire upper lip of the Beast heel insert sits above 100% of the entire upper lip of the plastic heel of the Hawx boot. Not just the round ends of the Beast heel inserts, where the two side mounted screws install.

The Beast insert is only above the Hawx plastic heel edge by a millimeter or two. I don't know if this will make any difference if used in a Beast or old style Dynafit binding.

I expect it would make a difference if used in a WTR or alpine binding.

Subscribed. I'm in the same boat. I'd like to get them flush so I can possibly use them with alpine, or framed bindings.
    100% of the entire upper lip of the Beast heel insert sits above 100% of the entire upper lip of the plastic heel of the Hawx boot. Not just the round ends of the Beast heel inserts, where the two side mounted screws install.

The Beast insert is only above the Hawx plastic heel edge by a millimeter or two. I don't know if this will make any difference if used in a Beast or old style Dynafit binding.

I expect it would make a difference if used in a WTR or alpine binding.
    as El Chup suspected - it made no difference when used in Beast, Vipec, Tecton, Kingpin, old Vertical, Comfort. I never checked in alpine or WTR binding

Thanks Lee - guess I'll go ahead and mount the heel pieces on the Hawx boots. I don't plan on using them in WTR or alpine bindings, but it would've been nice to have that option. I guess I could do a large dremel project later if I want to grind the lip down.

Are you going to drumal out some plastic from the heel to sit the insert flush?

My boots won't get here for a couple days, is it possible to get a photo of the finished product? They way I'll know more about what I'm working with
    Last edited by My Pet Powder Goat; 01-07-2018 at 08:45 PM.
    get paid

Are you going to drumal out some plastic from the heel to sit the insert flush?
    It doesn't sit flush? I need to take a closer look.

I thought the heel piece sat flush against back of the boot. My issue was that the metal lip protruded up higher than the plastic edge of the boot heel.

Just popped the Beast heel piece back onto the boot to see how it fit - there's a tiny air gap between the fitting (where the pins of the binding go) and the back of the boot. I think it'll vanish when I screw the fitting in place.

get paid

Update - mounted the Beast heel fittings onto my Hawx boots. Looks like it'll work OK.

The boot heels are hollow, so drilling for the side screws on the Beast fitting goes straight through. The screw tips protrude a little bit into the inside of the boot, but they are completely underneath the zeppa. Should be fine.

arent they wood screws to screw into plastic? If its not bomber enough could you use a machine screw & bolt ?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I'm aproximatly 200lb.

Lange RS 130 - Power Wraps with one pin pulled - tecnica Mach1 spoiler and sole plates.
    Lange XT 130 free tour - Pro Tongue liner with 'expert' booster strap and tecnica Cochise spoiler
    I've spent considerable time in both of these boots. What size are you in the Lange and how did that translate to the Hawx 130 XTD?

n/m just needed to keep reading.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I'd get them the same size as my alpine boots; 26.5. No need to size up like I do with TLT boots (27.5). I spent a couple days last year in these and found 26.5 to be the right size, although the tight curvature in the Achilles did pry my foot forward cramping my instep. I would probably rework the shape to make them work if the 15deg forward lean didn't disagree with me so much.

I don't however, downsize my Alpine boots the way I used too. My days in a 25.5 are over, and I'm happy skiing a two finger shell fit every day, on account of my high volume and rigid foot. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    arent they wood screws to screw into plastic? If its not bomber enough could you use a machine screw & bolt ?
    There's enough screw penetration, but the screw tips go through to the inside of the heels. I guess hollowed out parts is how they made this boot so light.

With Amer Sports and Rossignol/Lange moving to team GripWalk will the Hawx Ultra XTD be seeing a sole update for 2018-2019? My 0G Guide Pro is about to break for the 3rd time (great boot other than the durability issue) and while the Atomic is on my shortlist for new boots I'd rather not get stuck with WTR soles now that everyone's decided that GripWalk will be the "in-between" standard.

not to be rude here and answer a question with a question - but if most of the relevant bindings on the market that i can think of are wtr compatible now (tecton, shift, kingpin, all dynafit type bindings, attack wtr bindings, pivot/rossi 12/14s (dunno about marker)) and those that are not are not gripwalk compatible either (pivot 18 and so on) - what does it matter if they swap soles on the Hawx for next year?

Before boot compatibility of the current Hawx XTD to decent bindings will become an issue, the boots you buy today will probably be worn out anyway. It might be that significant developments have passed me by, but i for one do not see anything revolutionary happening in the binding market before long - especially not in the all alpine segment, though by all means, the introduction of the Shift bindings might open some flood gate I might be totally off though - it would not have been the first time, nor the last.

you prob saw it over at NS, but if not this is Atomic's lead boot designer's answer to your question above

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid on NS View Post
    Yep- Grip Walk is becoming an actual norm and it's what all boot and binding manufacturers will work towards over the coming years. It's one of those things that can't be done overnight since it involves lots of mold modifications on the boot side and on the binding side. But we will be working toward that for sure. Essentially, the 3 norms moving forward are: Alpine 5355, Touring 9523, Grip Walk 9523.

For Range 18/19 (what is being launched at OR/ISPO right now) we will be making replaceable Grip Walk grip pads for Hawx Ultra, Hawx Prime, Hawx Magna, Live Fit, and any older boots that use the same grip pad interfaces as the boots mentioned. Ultra XTD will remain a WTR boot for this year, as it is a "carry over" and production has already been rolling. It will still work with all the bindings that it currently works with.
    source:https://www.newschoolers.com/forum/t...tra-XTD?page=6

so now you know the official line and not only my question to your question Matt's availability is second to none and up there with ON3P - i find it really impressive how good he is with sharing info on their products and in answering questions.

(sorry if i cross some line posting his reply on NS here on TGR as a quote or in linking to another similar thread on NS, but i found the answer informative and wanted to share for those that are not on NS )
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 01-25-2018 at 08:43 AM.