Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by youenjoymyATskis View Post
    bump
    I tried Tour Wrap in Ultra and it takes too much room even for my chicken legs. I decided to go with Pro Tour MV and looks like it's better fit with some downhill performance sacrifice. I had better fit of Tour Wrap in 3-piece shell vs. overlap.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I put tour wraps in my Ultra XTDs at the beginning of season a year ago. 25 wraps in 25.5 boots. I did the hot-rice method from the Intuition website.
    The top buckle barely closes, but it does close. I've got pretty big calves and tiny ankles from 20 years of mtb racing.
    For me the tour wraps take up all the extra volume in the ankles and make the boots ski a lot better. They tour like crap, though, because they really restrict cuff movement.
    My wraps are packing out, so I have to decide if I'm going to get new ones or try the new Atomic Pro liners instead.

Not sure I understand. Intuitions are molded when hot, not cold. If you can fit cold, you very likely have the wrong size shell or wrong boot. They'll blow up a little from heating, but in a small number of days of its gonna feel sloppy.

Does anyone use the Ultra XTD 130 as their main inbounds boot? And if so, do you swap liners depending on if you're touring vs. inbounds? I am using an intuition pro tour.

I love the XTD 130 as a touring boot and they are certainly capable inbounds (if traveling and I only bring one boot, it's this). I'm also frequently messing with AFDs and forward pressure due to swapping boots. The question is, should I get a stronger liner and ditch my inbounds boot?

I tried that with stock liners and quickly switched back to inbounds boots. I now have hawx 130s in both xtd and inbounds iterations and there is a large difference. I have not tried the mimic liners in the xtds but could see doing that if I really wanted to travel with only one set.

Quote Originally Posted by goolick View Post
    Does anyone use the Ultra XTD 130 as their main inbounds boot? And if so, do you swap liners depending on if you're touring vs. inbounds? I am using an intuition pro tour.

I love the XTD 130 as a touring boot and they are certainly capable inbounds (if traveling and I only bring one boot, it's this). I'm also frequently messing with AFDs and forward pressure due to swapping boots. The question is, should I get a stronger liner and ditch my inbounds boot?
    I’ve skied inbounds successfully for many days in my XTD ultra shells with Rossi Hero Si liners, even toured a lap in them. But not 2.

Not sure what all the fuss is about fat calves in tour wraps is, you should know ultra is a tight fit in the upper cuff + wrap is a ton of upper shell volume gone. Having said that, I just molded tour wraps in my XTD Ultras and had a hard time getting things to close when cold but when heated they clamped down to the same level as the stock liner. Id say trust the process.

I ski my XTDs as an everyday boot without too many issues (it does seem hard on the boot hardware). Works fine for me. Heel starting to feel a bit loose with stock liners, thinking of trying the Mimic given the praise it’s gotten…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

i ski XTDs inbounds often out of laziness. they work for me. it makes for a cruisier, easier day than my kryptons. curious about an alpine liner now in the XTDs.

note: i ski the tour wrap.

note2: the buckles are hard/tricky to close regardless do to their hinged nature. lean into it

Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD aka Hawk Extended aka HawX

I ski them inbounds with tour wrap liners and wc booster straps. My inbounds days are primarily soft snow only and involve hiking for most every run. So a lot of the downsides to the boots are muted. Yesterday I had kids in ski school so I took a few laps in pure garbage icy/firm conditions and, for me, the boots are under-gunned for stuff like that. I’d own a second, way burlier pair of boots if I was routinely skiing hammered inbounds snow.

Edit to add - I'm 6'3", 180lbs, and was on 188 Corvus (2000g) with shifts.
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 01-17-2022 at 11:06 AM.

I skied 130 xtds inbounds for a couple of seasons, ended up having tour wraps, plug wraps, and a head raptor booster straps on them with modest improvement to the performance. The lower shell still deforms when really skiing hard though.

However, I bought some 130 professionals, and it’s a stark improvement in boot performance in bounds. I keep the xtd 130s for touring, added a pulse pro flex to improve the flex, and hoping to utilize the professional liner in that boot for days where I’m skiing the resort and doing some sidecountry laps the same day - I haven’t had the opportunity to try this mix yet, but I’m hoping it’s >80% of my inbounds hawx set up.

Is uphill ROM impacted with the pulse pro flex?

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Is uphill ROM impacted with the pulse pro flex?
    From feedback I have heard, yes it is. Because the proflex tongue goes up so high. I modded many boots with the opposite idea: short on top long on bottom. Reduces lower clog deformation and doesn’t impact walk mode.

Has anyone seen a list of actual vs. stated shell/liner lengths + widths by Mondo? My understanding is there's some variance, but I heard that secondhand.

Anone have a good pic of 2023 model?

Does anyone know if the length of the lower shell matches the non touring Hawx? Currently skiing a 26.5 Ultra XTD but wondering if I should have sized down since my foot is about 26cm. Inbounds boot is a Hawx Prime 120 in 25.5.

Quote Originally Posted by vonn View Post
    Does anyone know if the length of the lower shell matches the non touring Hawx? Currently skiing a 26.5 Ultra XTD but wondering if I should have sized down since my foot is about 26cm. Inbounds boot is a Hawx Prime 120 in 25.5.
    I have both the XTD version and non-XTD version of the Hawx Prime, and the length feels identical for both versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    I have both the XTD version and non-XTD version of the Hawx Prime, and the length feels identical for both versions.
    Great, appreciate the reply. I couldn't move my toes at all in the 25.5 non-XTD but felt like I could a bit in the XTD, but that may have been due to any number of factors between the days I tried them on. I ended up needing a little length added to the 25.5 Prime to make them usable for a full day.

Quote Originally Posted by goolick View Post

I ski mine as a one boot quiver with pro tour liner for touring and a lange rx liner i pulled from those boots for inbounds days.

It works pretty well but I am nervous about the wear and tear in putting on them, especially when one buckle came apart on one of the first times they saw some icy chunder.

They also seem a little under gunned when I'm really getting after it driving heavy on3p skis (and I'm 6'3, 210lbs) and can get folded up occasionally.

Considering getting something burlier like a cochise 130 as an inbounds boot that can climb if needed, and the hawx as touring/travel boot to make it last.

Quote Originally Posted by ezramec View Post
    Has anyone seen a list of actual vs. stated shell/liner lengths + widths by Mondo? My understanding is there's some variance, but I heard that secondhand.
    There's variance in that each mondopoint size has a different last/forefoot width/instep height/etc (which is how all ski boots are made). But it's not like they change with production runs. Liners are lasted & stitched by hand, so there is a +1mm/-2mm length tolerance on all of our liners.

Quote Originally Posted by vonn View Post
    Regular Hawx boots and Hawx XTD boots share the last dimensions, geometry, and liner construction 1:1.

Finally got into a situation today where I was really wishing I had my Redsters on my feet rather than my XTDs because I felt under-booted. This was doing GS-ish skiing on the retail G9, on moderately firm groomed snow. Not a big surprise, but it does reinforce my general theory that--at least for me--there are very few times that I'm disappointed to be in the XTDs and not also wanting to be on legit FIS race skis.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

I couldn't find the answer in this thread, though I bet it is in here. For someone who loves their XTD, how much beefier is the Ultra S (non-XTD?) I typically ski my Kryptons when I want to rage

anyone got a blister login? trying to read: https://blisterreview.com/flash-revi...hawx-ultra-130
    Last edited by margotron; 01-20-2022 at 07:58 PM.

I can’t speak to beefier per se, but I own the Ultra S 120 26.5 (skied with Zipfit WC 27 and Intuition Pro Tour HV 27, plus an expert Booster strap) and owned the original XTD 130 26.5 (skied with stock liner and Intuition Tour Wrap 27 plus an expert Booster strap).

The flex on the 130 XTDs may have been stiffer overall, but the Ultra S 120 feels more plush/has better suspension for general inbounds skiing. Also of note: I’m a tight fit in the 26.5 and ultimately couldn’t make the 130 XTDs work comfortably for my feet on long tours, despite heat molding the liner/shell and some punching. The Ultra S 120 with punches (and a 27 liner) fits great for me for inbound use though.

I haven’t skied any of the new gen XTDs or Ultras yet, but plan to try the Mimic Pro liner in my Ultra 120s this year as my Intuitions are starting to pack out.

I have 1st year xtd 130s with the light liners and new 2022 ultra 130s. Stiffness wise they are quite close but the alpine boot is smoother and more progressive. The mimic liner is also a lot beefier than the original tour liner and I have not tried a swap.

I really like my xtds for touring but they are not up to the task of handling my supergoats or goliaths in choppy snow. In pure pow or firm they are fine but rougher. I am 6’3” 200lbs and ski in the pnw where I don’t like to slow down for cut up heavy snow so someone smaller who skis slower in lighter snow might be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I couldn't find the answer in this thread, though I bet it is in here. For someone who loves their XTD, how much beefier is the Ultra S (non-XTD?) I typically ski my Kryptons when I want to rage

anyone got a blister login? trying to read: https://blisterreview.com/flash-revi...hawx-ultra-130

Quote Originally Posted by Stewy30 View Post
    I skied 130 xtds inbounds for a couple of seasons, ended up having tour wraps, plug wraps, and a head raptor booster straps on them with modest improvement to the performance. The lower shell still deforms when really skiing hard though.

However, I bought some 130 professionals, and it’s a stark improvement in boot performance in bounds. I keep the xtd 130s for touring, added a pulse pro flex to improve the flex, and hoping to utilize the professional liner in that boot for days where I’m skiing the resort and doing some sidecountry laps the same day - I haven’t had the opportunity to try this mix yet, but I’m hoping it’s >80% of my inbounds hawx set up.

When you say “130 professionals” do you mean the non-xtd 130 S version? I (like a few other people in this thread, apparently), am considering trying to unload my kryptons and pick up a pair of the non-tour version for inbounds. Currently have the xtd 130 with the mimic liner and WC booster strap - really like the way they ski and they’re a much better fit for my foot than the dalbellos, just trying to figure out if there’s enough of an inbounds performance boost in the non-xtd version to justify owning both...��
    [insert original, witty, and/or meaningful signature statement here]

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post

Compared to the current Ultra XTD, the current (gen 2) regular Ultra is noticeably more substantial/stable/smooth/suspension. I purposefully left out the s-word "stiffer". I don't like using that word in this application because it's less of a stiffness increase and more of a stability increase. It's just not going to collapse or fold when taking harder hits (expected or unexpected hits especially). It's basically what Blister sums up in the member article.

Not only is the plastic much thicker in the lower shell (those raised areas) but it's also PU, whereas the Ultra XTD is PA. It's these two differences that allow the regular Hawx Ultra to tangibly out perform the Hawx Ultra XTD in a resort setting.

With that said, the even heavier category of boots (recreational race boots) will gain you more stability/smoothness/progressiveness/damping and that will apply to all brands, across the board. If an Ultra fits you, it's relatively easy to get these boots to fit you as well.