Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Straight off the shelf that's true, but the MTN Lab is super easy to punch for extra width in the toe box.
    I got something like 10mm extra width out of the Mtn Lab toe box. Crazy. And I bet it could have gone for more

How hard would it be to do the memory fit shell molding on my own? I have a programmable convection oven big enough for a pair of boots at work so I can easily do the heating part, then stand in an ice bath to cool them. I would wear a toe cap and pad my lateral foot for more forefoot width. I have heat molded liners before with no issues so this doesn't seem to hard.
    I would normally do this through a shop but I can actually buy these in my size online and no-one local can commit to if or when they will have my size in stock.

If you go for it, make sure you stand on a flat, level, hard surface. Dont overflex hoot boot. Id probably use an gel or clay ice pad over the water.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    How hard would it be to do the memory fit shell molding on my own?
    Easy. I go 8-9 minutes at 235 F. in a convection oven with liners out. Stand on a hard and flat surface while they cool, don't walk around or flex the boots continually, just stand there with a slight flex at the knees (unless you want to try to reduce forward lean, then stand with legs straight). Don't put the shells in water. Salomon/Atomic provide shops with freezable gel wraps, but personally I think you get better results if you just let them cool at room temp - it only takes 14-15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Easy. I go 8-9 minutes at 235 F. in a convection oven with liners out. Stand on a hard and flat surface while they cool, don't walk around or flex the boots continually, just stand there with a slight flex at the knees (unless you want to try to reduce forward lean, then stand with legs straight). Don't put the shells in water. Salomon/Atomic provide shops with freezable gel wraps, but personally I think you get better results if you just let them cool at room temp - it only takes 14-15 minutes.
    Perfect, thanks for the info. I am thinking mold the shells with pads on my feet for lateral width and toe caps, then go back and mold the liners in a second pass with just the toe caps.

Next time I want a hot gear item I guess i need to buy it in october not november.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1431.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	944.5 KB 
ID:	218336

Still like the boots, but no idea why this happened today? I got to the top of a short boot pack and part of my 3rd buckle from the bottom was gone. It appears that the upper portion of the bail is bent into the pin that passes through that remaining part, so I guess it snapped? I did have the buckle flicked open for the hike, which is how I have always done it but maybe I will need to loosen and re buckle to protect it in the future?
    4th day riding lifts, 8th day total.

On another note, with the stock liners, the boot is probably a touch softer than I want it to be, but feels fairly progressive to me. With my old Intuition Pro Tongues, they seem perhaps too stiff, without enough forgiveness and progression. I'm still working on dialing it in to find Mama bear.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    How hard would it be to do the memory fit shell molding on my own? I have a programmable convection oven big enough for a pair of boots at work so I can easily do the heating part, then stand in an ice bath to cool them. I would wear a toe cap and pad my lateral foot for more forefoot width. I have heat molded liners before with no issues so this doesn't seem to hard.
    I would normally do this through a shop but I can actually buy these in my size online and no-one local can commit to if or when they will have my size in stock.
    Do you have to buy them at the shop that molds them? Seems you should be able to get boot work done at any boot fitter, especially if they sell the model. Might get charged more than boots through them for molding but I'd say safer that diy and they take the hit if they fuck up.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

I wish i could be like SkiFishBum