Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I'd be interested to hear from other bootfitters, but when I sold boots I never found any correlation between ROM and stiffness of boot. (I'm hypermobile and don't require a particularly stiff boot).
    I did find, however, that for people with limited ROM it was important to match the forward lean of the boot to their ROM. If the static forward lean angle of the boot put the person at the limit of their ROM, they would not be able to flex the boot.
    Or the heel lifts up when the boot flexes more than the ankle.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD aka Hawk Extended aka HawX

Question for those that have been in this boot already:

I just tried on a 26 and a 27 in my local shop. Shell fit on the 26 is just under 1 finger, 27 is about 1.5. Trying to decide between the two.

I'm in a 26 Zero G Pro, which length is fine though wouldn't want it any shorter and I've had some trouble with heel lift in that boot. The custom footbed from those is the same length as the 26 XTD footbed. But my toes are pretty crushed in the atomic pre baked obviously, both too narrow and too low. I have a fairly wide forefoot, slightly above average instep. I'm not sure if its too short though.

If I go 27, think I'll open myself up to some slop? Heel pocket seems tighter than the Zero g and I definitely need some space at my instep in the 26 atomic - was very hard to get my foot into it in the shop.

I'm primarily in the backcountry and regularly do 4K/5k days and bigger/longer tours throughout the winter and spring, so comfort on the up is important as is heel lock on the down.

I'm inclined to go 27 and hope the memory fit shell will keep me locked down, open to going intuition for the liner as well.

Edit: after rereading previous posts, my concern with the 26 is can I really get enough room in the forefoot and instep to make it work? The second shell over the second buckle was about .5-1cm spaced from its natural position wo a foot in there when I tried it on.
    Last edited by jrf; 10-09-2017 at 02:09 PM.

I was in a 26 ZeroG and a 27 Atomic Hawx. You will be able tp punch the Hawx for space at forefoot and in step

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I'm in a 26.5 in both boots. Punching for more width in the forefoot is easy, "punching" for more instep height less of a surety - you might do better to grind the bootboard (you can probably get 2-3mm without snapping it). The reason the Ultra XTD is hard to get into (not just for you) is the cuff circumference is much smaller than pretty much any boot on the market (wrap your fingers around the buckled boot and compare to the Zero G, for instance), plus the Grilamid is very rigid there (Zero G uses softer Quick Instep material in that spot). The instep itself (over the intermediate cuneiform) isn't all that low.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The Hawx XTD shell looks similar cosmetically to the Backland, but it's all new (intentionally longer, ISO 9523-spec soles so they are WTR and Kingpin compatible).

FWIW, the Backland BSL in a 26.5 is 288mm.

Greg - i Brainfarted- it is a 312mm HawX in my 27,5 size. Just writing the review and noticed my goof

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    If these do become available, that would be amazing:

-15 degree forward lean adjustable to 17 deg forward lean (walk mode blocks to allow the boot to be configured to a more upright 13 deg forward lean will be available for sale "soon")

Saw this over on ns...but great review man. Killed it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

Lee, the boot designer/product manager is Matt, not Max, Manser. Great review, though.

A couple more thoughts on the Hawx Ultra 130 XTD. For those who find the flex too abrupt or "not progressive" enough, try skiing it without the 50mm power strap (this also drops the weight by about 50 grams). This is sort of like skiing the Vulcan without the tongue, but with a more subtle effect on flex. If if's still not smooth enough for you, try loosening the upper two buckles a notch or so - how tight you have the buckles done makes a big difference in forward flex. And as Lee notes, make sure you have the cuff buckles all the way undone for the best cuff range of motion - I've been using the silver clip for just the lower and have the top completely undone.

As for the toe buckle, IMO it is longer than necessary and sticks up too high off the shell (you'll notice this as soon as you boot a few hundred feet in crust). You can solve the problem by clipping off the forward part of the cage and grinding it smooth, then dremeling divots where the buckle contacts the steel base so it lies lower.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hawxbuckle_001.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	318.9 KB 
ID:	214116
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hawxbuckles_002.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	281.7 KB 
ID:	214115
    Last edited by gregL; 10-18-2017 at 09:26 PM.

The evo article that Lee links to in his review was from last fall; in the meantime a few things have changed. GripWalk soles are now "officially" compatible with Sole.ID, "AAA" Tyrolia series bindings (AAAttack and AAAdrenaline), and Look/Rossi WTR Dual bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The evo article that Lee links to in his review was from last fall; in the meantime a few things have changed. GripWalk soles are now "officially" compatible with Sole.ID, "AAA" Tyrolia series bindings (AAAttack and AAAdrenaline), and Look/Rossi WTR Dual bindings.
    Thanks Greg. Honestly I can't keep up - the mix-match and standards are so mutable

What does "officially" mean? God the binding situation is such a shit show. So will it *probably* be ok with any binding then? Sorry I'm behind and don't want to read back all these pages...

I'm trying to stick Warden MNCs on everything I've got to avoid dealing with it.

WTR Boots - compatible with WTR Bindings (Salomon/Atomic/Look), MNC Bindings (Salomon/Atomic) and SoleID (Marker)

Grip Walk - compatible with Look WTR, Marker SoleID, Marker GripWalk demos, Tyrolia GW, Salomon/Atomic MNC.

Other 9523 - Marker SoleID, Salomon/Atomic MNC.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I'm trying to stick Warden MNCs on everything I've got to avoid dealing with it.
    That's exactly what I'm doing.

What does "officially" mean?
    It means the binding manufacturer/distributor will back up the retailer in the event of a law suit involving that combination of products.

Thanks Greg. Honestly I can't keep up - the mix-match and standards are so mutable
    Article has been updated, though as Lee says, the playing field in boot/binding compatibility changes constantly.

Here's my XTD review if anyone is interested in a counterpoint:

http://www.randosaigai.com/hawxultraxtdreview.html
    Last edited by gregL; 10-20-2017 at 09:04 AM.

I like this Greg. You just need a foot picture to complete it

The flex of the Vulcan/Mercury was definitely on the harsh side, and I ended up cutting a "V" in the tongues of these boots to soften the initial flex.

The XTD skis better for me, with a more predictable and progressive feel than the Vulcan through the flex pattern but with similar resistance when fully flexed. Skinning is not quite as good as the Vulcan or Mercury, primarily due to less rearward range of motion, but the action is smoother and under most normal touring conditions the slightly reduced rearward range won't be noticed. Plus the XTD is around 150 grams lighter.

Almost a carbon copy of yours, Lee, with slightly longer toes.

Attachment 201063

with the exception that you ^^ do not have foot rot like the lee man
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I just tried on a 27.5 120-flex I ordered from Moosejaw. The fit is surprisingly good, but a little short especially in walk mode I feel the toes hitting the front, which would become painful. The production liners seem quite burly, but I think I would prefer intuitions. I hate the furry material they put on it.

^Did you put in a footbed with some arch to it? I felt like that helped support my foot just enough to keep my toe off the front enough to make it work.

I agree that the fuzz seems off putting, but other than that the liner seems pretty sweet, so I am happy to give it a shot.

I just tried on a 27.5 120-flex I ordered from Moosejaw. The fit is surprisingly good, but a little short especially in walk mode I feel the toes hitting the front, which would become painful. The production liners seem quite burly, but I think I would prefer intuitions. I hate the furry material they put on it.
    I have the same issue with the toes. 26.5 fits perfect except my big toe is just barely touching the front. The 27.5 lets my heel slip and feels like it flexes differently. Fitter said we could punch the toe but I thought I saw somewhere on here that I would lose the ability to use them in alpine bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    ^Did you put in a footbed with some arch to it? I felt like that helped support my foot just enough to keep my toe off the front enough to make it work.

I agree that the fuzz seems off putting, but other than that the liner seems pretty sweet, so I am happy to give it a shot.
    Yeah I put my instaprints in it. I think it would probably be fine with a toe cap when molding and/or a small punch up front.

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic84 View Post
    I have the same issue with the toes. 26.5 fits perfect except my big toe is just barely touching the front. The 27.5 lets my heel slip and feels like it flexes differently. Fitter said we could punch the toe but I thought I saw somewhere on here that I would lose the ability to use them in alpine bindings.
    Assuming you have good ankle and heel hold and are using a decent footbed, most experienced skiers want to be "just barely touching the front" in a new boot. As for punching the toe, you can almost always add 5-6mm of toe length without interfering with the function of an "alpine" binding (though your should check for contact anywhere other than the sole). Remember that your choices for alpine bindings are limited by the non-replaceable WTR sole.