Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Zipfit can take up excess volume in the spaces where the omfit goes (usually hits just behind the styloid process), especially in the ankle region, but definitely not in the neoprene forefoot. It's pretty obvious where the omfit region is if you look at a photo of them on the zipfit website—it's the leather part. Additionally, the tongue is rather thick, which can keep your heel back nicely if you have excess volume in the instep.
    Any drawbacks?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    You missed the backcountry section (Mtn Lab, Hawk XTD, ZeroG, Maestrale RS, Vulcan etc).
    Yeah, I don't need one of those boots. I'm happy with a side country boot and a light and fast boot. Most of the winter I'm in and around the resorts. My deadicated BC days in the spring and summer and generally 8-16 hour days. If I could only have two boots, or did more dedicated winter touring I might get one of those.
    Last edited by XavierD; 03-15-2017 at 06:29 PM.

So I have a stupid high instep. I have Lange xt boots with an instep pinch and wrap liners that work. I also have dalbellos that work. Everything else crushes my foot and leaves too much wiggle at the heel.

The hawx ultra felt tight with stock footbed in the shop, like it would work after some shell mods. The hawx prime felt way less roomy up top, but with my custom foot beds.

What say you? How high is the instep?

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    So I have a stupid high instep. I have Lange xt boots with an instep pinch and wrap liners that work. I also have dalbellos that work. Everything else crushes my foot and leaves too much wiggle at the heel.

The hawx ultra felt tight with stock footbed in the shop, like it would work after some shell mods. The hawx prime felt way less roomy up top, but with my custom foot beds.

What say you? How high is the instep?
    Middle of the road

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Any drawbacks?
    -heavy
    -tour like shit
    -expensive

Personally I wouldn't consider them in a backcountry boot, but that's me.

^^Came here to post exactly that.

The up-front expense is palatable because the $/day is on par (or better) than Intuitions given how much longer they last. But I still wouldn't consider touring in them. If you must have one boot for everything, it might be reasonable to run the zipfit inbounds and a lighter foam liner for touring.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    This thing skis like a brick. It's stiff, and if that is all you care for in a touring boot rock on.
    Xavier

What do you weigh and what boots and flex do you normally ski?

As a lightweight who is not getting any younger I am curious if "brick stiff" is not just synonymous with "too stiff and maybe I should try the 110 or 120 next season".

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Xavier

What do you weigh and what boots and flex do you normally ski?

As a lightweight who is not getting any younger I am curious if "brick stiff" is not just synonymous with "too stiff and maybe I should try the 110 or 120 next season".
    I'm aproximatly 200lb.

Lange RS 130 - Power Wraps with one pin pulled - tecnica Mach1 spoiler and sole plates.
    Lange XT 130 free tour - Pro Tongue liner with 'expert' booster strap and tecnica Cochise spoiler
    Tecnica Cochise 120 (16/17) - dalbello Lupo wrap liner and drive plates or pro tour liner with modified booster strap.
    Dynafit TLT 6 w/ pro tour liners, WC booster strap (modified like dynafit cinch straps), Vulcan tongues, Krypton ankle buckle, and added Vulcan toe buckle for increase shell stiffness.

Admittedly, the dynafit skis like shit even with all those mods.

I have spent more time in the Lange XT this winter than anything else. With modifications it skis like a Lange RX '125' somewhere between the 120 and 130. I like the softer 'bump compience' initial flex of this boot for skiing through uneven snow, especially crud. The RS 130 skis stiffer than the Atomic Hawx Ultra or XTD but has a more progressive flex. If that makes sense.

^^ thanks, very helpful for context of your impressions earlier

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO_20170323_134852.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	757.0 KB 
ID:	203090
    several days I found that in La Cluzaz Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO_20170323_135006.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	784.3 KB 
ID:	203091
    sidas custom sole Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO_20170323_135019.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	982.6 KB 
ID:	203092
    sidas high slim Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO_20170323_135035.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	786.0 KB 
ID:	203093
    and the shell size 27.5 without strap, buckle 1 and bootboard (my custom sole is very thick and I need space
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHOTO_20170323_135303.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	863.9 KB 
ID:	203094
    the flex is definitely not a progressive Krypton or lupo 130 2018
    but for 2kg7 it's rather a nice freerando ski boot
    something between a vulcan or a Lab (more a lab)

How do you like the Sidas High Slim? I was interested in one because they are low volume, light, and have a touring cutout, but then I heard the foam is super soft.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

it's true it's not like an intuition gold foam, but for a AT use it's rather a good compromise

this high slim is for me a little bit harder than the orifinal atomic
    if you keep the atomic for AT and you want and second liner more freeride or downhill oriented perhaps look the intuition...

Quote Originally Posted by buenonda View Post
    it's true it's not like an intuition gold foam, but for a AT use it's rather a good compromise

this high slim is for me a little bit harder than the orifinal atomic
    if you keep the atomic for AT and you want and second liner more freeride or downhill oriented perhaps look the intuition...
    How do you find the heel retention compared to the labs?

for what I remember it's a little bit better wich meam if you want a vulcan or a dobberman you need to add blu foam with wing shape

Thanks Buenonda - how much do you weigh?

too much!
    ��
    96kg

I posted this pic

and someone asked me "Which one of the two would you pay for if it would be your only pair of ski boots?"

My answer

US MSRP for Dynafit Vulcan is USD 999. For ATOMIC SKIING Hawk Ultra XTD is USD 799

At 75kg I am not big-boned and am also skiing centred and moving the skis under me and not driving the tips or really engaging the cuffs hard. This is overall thoughts about the boots uphill and downhill after now about 200+ days on Vulcan and 20+ days on Atomic. I tried the Vulcans and Atomic both with Intuition Liners (ProTours) to take out one variable.

I would get the ATOMIC SKIING Hawk Ultra XTD if using my own money and getting just one boot. This is the first time in four years I've said that about any boot other than the Dynafit Vulcan

Reasons:

- I SUSPECT the Atomic sole will last longer. My Dynafit soles were getting pretty done after 100 days of skiing which is one year for me. I've seen others who've used the Vulcans on sleds and rock scrambling and after 100 days the soles are to the point that the fittings are getting abraded.

- The downhill and touring performance are so close that they're a virtual tie. I would prefer the Vulcan because it tours better and I would pick a boot that tours better but this preference is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. And I did a 2240m vert tour in the Atomic and it worked great.

- The Vulcan's pricepoint at $ 200 more is too great a difference for the small differential in performance.

Now if you were to ask me to pick between Atomic and Mercury I would have a tough choice. For me, that would be a virtual tie since the Mercury and Atomic Hawk Ultra XTD is evenly priced.

EDIT - assumptions about the Atomic's durability should be stated. I am assuming that the liners are equal ie that I would replace both boot's liners with Intuitions. I am assuming that the Atomic would last at least 100 days

someone :-)

You should get those beast toepieces exchanged for some new ones with a 'toe box adjust lever'

in europe
    xtd 130 680 euros
    vulcan 750 euros
    so the price is definitely NOT what make the big difference

the 2017 vulcan carbon has a pebax shell
    wich mean roughly you CAN'T heat it to adapt to your foot... and thanks federico there were made in grilamid before...
    this is definitely a good point for memory fit
    Last edited by buenonda; 03-25-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Just put these on my order for next fall. Is there any difference in fit compared to the alpine hawx ultra?

Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD aka Hawk Extended aka HawX

Probably too early for anyone to opine on cos i'm guessing no samples floating around yet but as a lightweight i'm curious about the flex of the XTD 110 and 120 versions.
    If the 130 is stiff or brick stiff as some have described will the softer ones be smoother or will they resist to a point and then fold??

Hawx vs Lupo Carbon ti

Quote Originally Posted by buenonda View Post
    in europe
    xtd 130 680 euros
    vulcan 750 euros
    so the price is definitely NOT what make the big difference

the 2017 vulcan carbon has a pebax shell
    wich mean roughly you CAN'T heat it to adapt to your foot... and thanks federico there were made in grilamid before...
    this is definitely a good point for memory fit
    Can anyone comment of the Lupo Carbon ti vs the hawx?
    Life is all about ass...either you are covering it,
    kicking it, hauling it, kissing it, or trying to get it.

Lee, what's the bsl? (sorry if I missed it) Think my green machine Vulcs can manage one more year to allow for some first-production-year shakedown of the Hawx, although they're looking pretty well thought-out!