Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    I got 130 XTD’s because I have a fairly narrow fore foot, but always seem to need little toe relief punches, and a narrow ankle and calf. The Hawk was the only boot that fit that bill. They were excruciatingly tight out of the box despite correct shelf fit for length. After liner/shell bake they fit perfectly with no need for supplemental work.

The stock liner proved to be a bit flimsy and cold. I could feel the shell contours right through it, but the boot skied and toured very well. I ended up going to Intuition to get a better liner. The Pro Tour Medium Volumes that have been my go to in the past were too tight. The Low Volume was too loose, so I tried a MV Tour Wrap which has thinner foam and is kind of in between. I had to re heat the shell to get some more volume and It skis great and provides much more power/stiffness with a performance fit like a downhill boot. Unfortunately, I can’t get enough room in the toe box despite some additional punches to get touring comfort. So I have moved on to the Technica Zero G Tour Pro which is a few mm longer in the same shell size. Still working on that fit though with boot work for fore foot width. It’s quite narrow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by msparker23 View Post
    I currently use a pair of hawx ultra 110 but want a stiffer boot that can also tour. As I see it, I have three good options:

1) great deal on 2019-20 120 flex XTDs (better liner for downhill)
    2) great deal (although a little more than the 120) on 2019-20 130 flex XTDs and also take my current 110 liner with me for when I wont be going uphill
    3) wait for the 2020-21 version of the 130

What do folks think? I'm thinking option 2 may be the best given I already have a good downhill liner, then you have the best optionality.
    I was able to get the 20/21 version of the Atomic Hawx 130 XTD with the new Mimic Liner. It may be what you are looking for. I have put some days on it. It feels like an alpine boot liner and is real snug. It does not tour as well, in that it restricts the ROM a little more but I only feel it when I'm taking longer strides on mellow terrain. Since this will be my primary touring boot less a 50/50 boot I might get the touring liner as an aftermarket purchase in the fall for bigger touring days.

Just got some 19/20 XTD 130s for a great deal thanks to ptex1! Out of the box the midfoot and toes seem very tight, and okay instep height for me. I’m actually impressed by the liner, the padding is thin but well formed in the ankle and heel pocket. I thought I’d have to ditch it straight away but I’ll at least give it a fair shake.

I did a home shell bake (240 deg convection oven for 12 min) and that made a difference in forefoot width, especially in the outside/6th toe region, as well as a nice easing of the instep. Everything still feels snug but is now comfortable. I’m looking forward to getting these on a short tour this weekend, I’m hoping these can replace my Cochise.

Quote Originally Posted by YaBoyBlue View Post
    Just got some 19/20 XTD 130s for a great deal thanks to ptex1! Out of the box the midfoot and toes seem very tight, and okay instep height for me. I’m actually impressed by the liner, the padding is thin but well formed in the ankle and heel pocket. I thought I’d have to ditch it straight away but I’ll at least give it a fair shake.

I did a home shell bake (240 deg convection oven for 12 min) and that made a difference in forefoot width, especially in the outside/6th toe region, as well as a nice easing of the instep. Everything still feels snug but is now comfortable. I’m looking forward to getting these on a short tour this weekend, I’m hoping these can replace my Cochise.

Did you bake the liner too? I am debating it for a new pair

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    I was able to get the 20/21 version of the Atomic Hawx 130 XTD with the new Mimic Liner. It may be what you are looking for. I have put some days on it. It feels like an alpine boot liner and is real snug. It does not tour as well, in that it restricts the ROM a little more but I only feel it when I'm taking longer strides on mellow terrain. Since this will be my primary touring boot less a 50/50 boot I might get the touring liner as an aftermarket purchase in the fall for bigger touring days.
    I'm so back and forth on whether I'm stoked on the new mimic liner for next year, I have this years and absolutely love it in every way. As in, all I did was put my footbed as well as a foam shim under the liner and it's absolutely perfect. Where as I also had the alpine 130 ultra and hated that liner. I know the mimic is going to be different than the previous ultra 130 liner but I just don't really see the point, everyone I talked to with this years XTD loved the liner.

Quote Originally Posted by xconverge View Post
    Did you bake the liner too? I am debating it for a new pair
    I did not bake the liner, I might get the hot rice bag method going as I’m feeling a bit of a pinch over the instep still. I think I’ll ski them first, see if they pack in a bit first, then go from there.

I was back and forth as well. Now that I’ve been getting out a lot on the new boot, I would have been happier with the touring liner. I only think the New Mimic liner will benefit for those who need to really customize the liner for fit, or want a plush liner for a 50/50 boot. I’ll probably get the touring liner later.

I did not bake the liner, I might get the hot rice bag method going as I’m feeling a bit of a pinch over the instep still. I think I’ll ski them first, see if they pack in a bit first, then go from there.
    Update: toured some low angle lovin’ for a few days, with a fair bit of walking on approach and side hill traversing to get to the ski zone. Notes:

1. I felt the ramp angle, especially on the flatter sections. I kept on checking for snow buildup under my heels but no, I was walking “flat”. I might grind the boot board in the back 1/3 (heel) area to flatten this out a little, also to help instep clearance (see below).

2. The ramp angle was wedging my toes into the tight toebox, it wasn’t painful per se but noticeable especially after a few hours of walking.

3. I was feeling the instep pinch when walking, again it wasn’t in the painful range more mildly annoying. I think the shell was flexing out of the way somewhat so it didn’t build during the day but I don’t want to have this nagging question/distraction as I head out.

4. Great skiability in these boots, especially with the 19/20 lighter “touring” liner. I’m pretty impressed with the precision available in a boot this light, and the forward flex was supportive and moderately progressive. In ski mode I never felt my instep or toes so perhaps I need to remold my shells for a less “performance” fit (i.e. bigger top caps and instep padding) compared to walking fit issues. If I flatten the boot boards I’d definitely want to remold the instep area to keep the solid ankle hold.

5. Transitions are nice with the sliders on the upper buckles and I am also fairly impressed with the wispy looking power strap, I thought that was an instant take off item as well. ROM is more then I need, I’m never really in that big of a rush but I like efficiency.

Has anybody swapped out their liners with something lighter to save weight? I got the new version and I think the Mimic liner is more beef than I need. I'm looking at the Palau Power LT and the Intuition Pro Tour, any reviews or other recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Has anybody swapped out their liners with something lighter to save weight? I got the new version and I think the Mimic liner is more beef than I need. I'm looking at the Palau Power LT and the Intuition Pro Tour, any reviews or other recommendations?
    My stock liner (18/19 XTD 120) is very thin in the forefoot. I can't fit a Pro Tour as they put too much pressure on the top of my forefoot. Even with the boot board removed. Even when I cut the velcro connector off. I want to try some Tour Wraps, but don't want to pay $$ is they aren't workable.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I don't know the Mimic; its weight or its construction. But lots of people have used Intuition ProTours, TourWraps and other liners in the XTD with success.

I have tour wraps in mine and they fit well and work great. You do lose a little rom but not anything significant. I think if I was doing a tour with a long flat approach I’d stick in the stock liners but otherwise I’m happy with the tour wraps.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    My stock liner (18/19 XTD 120) is very thin in the forefoot. I can't fit a Pro Tour as they put too much pressure on the top of my forefoot. Even with the boot board removed. Even when I cut the velcro connector off. I want to try some Tour Wraps, but don't want to pay $$ is they aren't workable.
    I experienced the same with Pro Tour liners, it killed all the space above my toes. I have a Tour Wrap liner on the way, I hope they fit better. I have not molded the Pro Tours yet, anyone know if that would help or is it just too much?

I’ll report back about the tour wraps.

I experienced the same with Pro Tour liners, it killed all the space above my toes. I have a Tour Wrap liner on the way, I hope they fit better. I have not molded the Pro Tours yet, anyone know if that would help or is it just too much?

Everything I tried to make the Pro Tours work helped, just not enough. I should add that mine are a very snug fit as I use them as my resort boot and heavier touring boot.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

I had a tour wrap in there last year. For reasons that are not the tour wraps fault it didnt work for me. I actually have some 28.5 Tour wraps with very light use for sale if anyone is interested.

Also, shameless plug - I have some brand new XTD Prime 130s in 27/27.5 for sale on GS for those looking for a little more volume in the forefoot and instep. Cutting a little bit of a deal from retail ($600 split shipping).

I'm struggling with my left liner right now on my 19/20 boots. Right above the instep/along the right seam of the tongue is really irritating my foot/shin. Took them in to do some adjustments and the fitter essentially said I need different liners and recommended the Pro Tours. A little frustrating to throw down all that moolah on a boot just to need to throw down even more to get it truly functional :/

I personaly accept the fact when I am buying a ski boot I am just buying a ski boot shell, most of us who hang out here are using aftermarket liners so you ain't gona get much sympathy here

The only time I didnt need to change liners is when I bought new boots that dalbello spec'ed with Intuition powerwraps

I would be asking buddy bootfitter if he is guaranteeing that liner will work ?

I have a high instep/ skinny ankle/ wide forefoot, IME intuition liners with a tongue don't work for me but wrap liners always work and i have 4 pair in various boots
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yeah, I guess that's the lesson to learn as I dive deeper into ski gear life. Going to chat w/ them again today to see what my options are.

So far after a few months with the boots, walking uphill has been overall a really enjoyable experience. Decent downhill skiing has been hard to come by (since I got them right when covid hit) to properly judge their performance there, maybe this weekend. Getting out of them is a nightmare.

If anyone’s looking for a lighter liner option, I have some 26 Pro Tour LVs that I would part with, plus an extra set of thick tongues. The Pro Tour LVs didn’t cause instep problems in my 26.5 shells (fine even with Superfeet blue insole), but it got a bit tight with the thick tongues, so I mostly stuck with the stock tour tongues.

Willing to part with them because I decided to get the Mimic liner—I’ve learned that my feet and shins need more padding (for instance, the Zero G Tour Pro stock liner is a no go for me).

You prefer the Mimic liner to the Pro Tour?

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    While I haven’t skinned or skied with the Mimic liner yet, all the pain I normally feel in my shins while simply flexing the boot at indoors temps goes away with the Mimic liner.

Pretty sure this is a personal issue, but flexing most of the stiff AT boots on the market that come with minimal liners (like the Zero G Tour Pro or Hawx XTD130 with Pro Tour LV) causes serious pain for me. The Mimic liner does away with that, at the cost of >200g and clearly reduced ROM on long strides. But for me, I think I need the heavier, squishier liner.

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    I’ve skied the pro tour in other boots and have only tested the mimic liner around the house. IMO the Pro Tour has better ROM and is lighter, the Mimic feels a little stiffer flexing so it may ski a bit better and is heavier.

When I got pro tours for my XTDs, putting them on unmolded felt horrific. Like I was convinced I'd fucked up big time. Then I molded them and they're perfect. Based on my experience, they should feel completely unreasonable before molding otherwise they will pack out so much with molding that you'll be swimming in them.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    When I got pro tours for my XTDs, putting them on unmolded felt horrific. Like I was convinced I'd fucked up big time. Then I molded them and they're perfect. Based on my experience, they should feel completely unreasonable before molding otherwise they will pack out so much with molding that you'll be swimming in them.
    This is the exact beta I was needing, thanks!

I had your exact reaction, “there’s no fucking way these will work...”