Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    They both fit fine - a little snug in the toes, but fine. what would you pick? I don't have any previous ski tour experience.

P.S. Also, my performance size is 24.5. But I ski fine in dalbello krypton in 25.0. Should I downsize to 24.5 (both boots needs some work to push the toes) or go with 25.5 (fine from box, but 2 fingers from shell to heel)

Quote Originally Posted by Sashka View Post
    They both fit fine - a little snug in the toes, but fine. what would you pick? I don't have any previous ski tour experience.

P.S. Also, my performance size is 24.5. But I ski fine in dalbello krypton in 25.0. Should I downsize to 24.5 (both boots needs some work to push the toes) or go with 25.5 (fine from box, but 2 fingers from shell to heel)
    If you are replacing the Kryptons and skiing everything in the new boots (possibly touring a bit as well) then the Hawx Ultra XTD.

If you are keeping the Kryptons as a resort boot and touring only in the new boots, the MTN Explore.

Whose fingers? Mine are 15mm thick; a 30mm shell fit for a smallish foot is pretty sloppy.

Sorry, but I don't have time these days to read through 13 pages of TGR (ah, those were the days), so... 120 vs 130 flex - who has tried both either in the shop or on the hill? Does a stock 120 feel significantly softer than a stock 130? I have only managed to try the 130 locally. Would prefer the stiffer flex of the 130 but feel like the snugger liner of the 120 will work for my foot better.
    Last edited by LC; 12-04-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Anyone coming from a Krypton to an XTD 130 as a one boot quiver will be drastically disappointed by how terribly the XTD skis when compared to a KR2.

One boot quivers are dumb. It’s like a one ski quiver - sucks at everything.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Anyone coming from a Krypton to an XTD 130 as a one boot quiver will be drastically disappointed by how terribly the XTD skis when compared to a KR2.

Fine be that way I'll just keep skiing my alpine boots
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Yes, but unlike skis 3-4 boots is probably about the most you need for all kinds of objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    If you are replacing the Kryptons and skiing everything in the new boots (possibly touring a bit as well) then the Hawx Ultra XTD.

If you are keeping the Kryptons as a resort boot and touring only in the new boots, the MTN Explore.

Whose fingers? Mine are 15mm thick; a 30mm shell fit for a smallish foot is pretty sloppy.
    I want to buy a touring boot only. And keep my krypton for resort use.

P.S. My fingers. Actually 20mm.

Also what would you pick hawx ultra xtd 120 vs Salomon MTN explore?
    Why those two boots? What about the Scarpa Maestrale RS2 and Dynafit Vulcan?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Aaaaaah yeah

Guys, what do you think about hawx ultra xtd 100 + intuition luxury or pro tour liner? Is it worth it?

Also what would you pick hawx ultra xtd 120 vs Salomon MTN explore?

I've been skiing the last two days in the 100 flex version with a Sidas liner and so far I'm very happy with them. Only downside for me is that the 100 flex version doesn't have the user serviceable cuff pivot and the lower buckles are riveted (not bolted).

100 flex version doesn't come with the spoiler in the box (although I'm skiing with someone who is using the 120 flex version, and he says that there was no spoiler in the box of his boots either).
    Last edited by Oceanic; 12-04-2017 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Said I was skiing with a 'Sidas Loner'

Anyone know when atomic will be shipping out more 28.5s? they are sold out everywhere in the US as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    What about the Scarpa Maestrale RS2 and Dynafit Vulcan?
    1. My last is 98.
    2. I can't try them before buy
    3. THere aren't good prices for them in europe - I can buy salomon mnt explore new in box for <300$ and slightly more for atomics. waaaaay more for Vulcans, for example

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Anyone know when atomic will be shipping out more 28.5s? they are sold out everywhere in the US as far as I can tell.
    28's look to be done. We don't generally sell boots online but pretty sure our shop still has a 28.5 130, too hot of a boot for a deal but PM if you want me to look into it for you.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

P.S. My fingers. Actually 20mm.
    20mm for a touring boot is fine.

1. My last is 98.
    2. I can't try them before buy
    3. THere aren't good prices for them in europe - I can buy salomon mnt explore new in box for <300$ and slightly more for atomics. waaaaay more for Vulcans, for example
    They are both excellent boots.

MTN Explore = better range of motion, wider heel, easier to put on/take off, simple walk mode mechanism and minimal fiddling during transition
    Hawx Ultra XTD = Snugger fit through the ankle and heel, more powerful "alpine" feel, WTR compatible if you are switching between alpine skis and touring skis (I have the 130, not the 120)

MTN Explore = wider heel
    Hawx Ultra XTD = Snugger fit through the ankle and heel
    This is why my previous post said "buy the one that fits better." IMO the fit is pretty dramatically different in the ankle of these two boots and that's probably the most important area of the boot to fit well.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    This is why my previous post said "buy the one that fits better." IMO the fit is pretty dramatically different in the ankle of these two boots and that's probably the most important area of the boot to fit well.
    Id also say the MTN has less room in the pinky/sixth toe area, so if you have a square set of toes on your feet the XTD is a better fit. The MTN also has a noticeably lower instep, and that was the real deal breaker for me.

XTD: low volume heel/ankle, "roomy"/square toe box, medium/high instep

MTN: wider heel/ankle, low instep, "sloped" toe box (long towards the big toe, tight/short towards the pinky toe)

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    Id also say the MTN has less room in the pinky/sixth toe area, so if you have a square set of toes on your feet the XTD is a better fit.
    Straight off the shelf that's true, but the MTN Lab is super easy to punch for extra width in the toe box.

Straight off the shelf that's true, but the MTN Lab is super easy to punch for extra width in the toe box.
    Well it's more the shape. The xtd has a nearly symmetrical toe box. The Mtn had a angled "asymmetrical" shape. Basically the two different shapes feet come in.

Is the Hawx XTD compatible with 2014 Marker Squire binders? A sales person recently told me they weren't but they couldn't give me a good reason other than "manufacturer specs say it's not compatible".

Does any shops in the Seattle area these in stock to try on?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Is the Hawx XTD compatible with 2014 Marker Squire binders? A sales person recently told me they weren't but they couldn't give me a good reason other than "manufacturer specs say it's not compatible".
    The WTR sole on the XTD probably is too tall to fit in the toe of an older Marker Squire (which doesn't have adjustable toe height). Most importantly from the shop's perspective, Marker does not certify the Squire to work with WTR soles, which means that if they mount the for you, and then they don't release properly and you get hurt and sue the shop, Marker won't defend the shop like they would if they had followed Marker's specs. Most shops aren't willing to take that risk and won't mount or test anything that's not officially supported by the binding manufacturer.

Thanks for the response, that's helpful. My Squires have the adjustable AFD height, would that allow for compensating for the thicker sole of the Hawx?

I generally do my own mounting and adjustments, just don't want to invest in a pair of boots that flat out won't work with my quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by bsavery View Post
    Does any shops in the Seattle area these in stock to try on?
    Evo has them. You might call ahead to make sure they have your size.

I got something like 10mm extra width out of the Mtn Lab toe box. Crazy. And I bet it could have gone for more