Good bye Surfing Mag...

Thanks for the memories.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/ma...4-2017_144865/

"After more than 50 years in publication,Surfing magazine’s final glossy chapter is coming to a close, ending the reign of a goliath in surf media and signaling the imminent and cold, “Print Is Dead,” future."

Not sure if I agree entirely that print is dead. Cool video in the link of all the covers over the years.

Print might be "dead" but video aint. Wondered over to their site and this is their latest video posted. If you can watch this on a big screen with some gig sound, you wont be disappointed. The ride that starts @ 2:45 is freakin' Gorgeous!

edit: I just watched again, Every Freakin' ride is Gorgeous!

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

Great vid, but sad news if it's true. Surfing magazines are about the only mags other than the Powder Photo Annual that I ever buy any more.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Thanks for the memories.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/ma...4-2017_144865/

"After more than 50 years in publication,Surfing magazine’s final glossy chapter is coming to a close, ending the reign of a goliath in surf media and signaling the imminent and cold, “Print Is Dead,” future."

Not sure if I agree entirely that print is dead. Cool video in the link of all the covers over the years.

Print might be "dead" but video aint. Wondered over to their site and this is their latest video posted. If you can watch this on a big screen with some gig sound, you wont be disappointed. The ride that starts @ 2:45 is freakin' Gorgeous!

edit: I just watched again, Every Freakin' ride is Gorgeous!
    That footage is insane. If I was better I think G-land would be a perfect wave for me. I'm not nearly good enough to handle the waves shown in the video but it sure looks fun.

It is a shame about Surfing. I would not go so far as to say print media is dead, but it is a tough business to survive in these days. You can go to Surfline and get photo features and stories in this day and age. Surfing gives that to you, but it is months after it happens. Did they even continue to report on the world tour? Why talk about John John's world title when it happened a month and a half ago. I think stuff like Surfer's Journal can survive, but for a magazine with the content that Surfing had, you can get those stories on the internet now. I think Surfer has gone quarterly, although I could be wrong. This is sad to see. I subscribed for a little while and I occasionally buy an issue at the supermarket. It is too bad I won't be able to do that anymore.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Sad to see it go. Not surprised though. Thinner and thinner over the years and the amount of adds just kept going up. Not a lot of content left in it.

Such a bummer. They were the pioneers before the internet, going places where few dared and providing some of the most amazing surf images. I guess they'll have to adapt to new forms of media. Hope to see them pivot and be successful elsewhere.