Chamonix rental gear?

Anyone have a recommendation for renting gear in Cham? Looking primarily for beacons, and when I looked on one website at 'demo' level skis, I'm wondering if I should just rent skis instead of paying $200+ in baggage fees for my shit boards. Euro shop websites are unsurprisingly sparse on details.

I've always brought my own gear, but this trip we're only skiing three days, and prices look reasonable enough to consider renting...
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

Was there this weekend and we rented - gear was fine, I disliked mine, but it was quality gear, just not my type of ski - the wife loved hers. Cost for 2 pairs, plus poles (no boots) was about 60EUR a day (if I remember right). It would have been cheaper to bring my own skis (we can fit two pairs in one ski bag), but hauling skis on public transport during rush hour in London is a pain. Beacons might be different, not sure why you wouldn't just throw them in your bag - though they would need more snow before it's worth renting anything for the off piste, it's boney out there right now - but the piste was skiing well (and we - well our the guide - managed to find some pretty good snow off the grand montet).

Thanks for the post. What shop did you rent from?
    Two of us have beacons, although one is older and would rather rent a newer more reliable unit if possible. My wife does not have a beacon--hence renting.
    Wife is nervous about backcountry skiing with the guide and skiing powder (although it sounds like that could be a non-issue)--did your guide take you on some gnarly stuff, or was it pretty mellow? Was it hike for turns, or was it more sidecountry from the Grand Montets tram?

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
    Thanks for the post. What shop did you rent from?
    Two of us have beacons, although one is older and would rather rent a newer more reliable unit if possible. My wife does not have a beacon--hence renting.
    Wife is nervous about backcountry skiing with the guide and skiing powder (although it sounds like that could be a non-issue)--did your guide take you on some gnarly stuff, or was it pretty mellow? Was it hike for turns, or was it more sidecountry from the Grand Montets tram?
    If any of your guides are IFMGA, they will be the best guide you'll encounter in your life(from my experience of multiple people in Europe). They'll make you do ability runs etc. to see where you are at, a good guide is not going to take you up stuff you don't know/feel comfortable on. If you tell the guide you don't want to do one ounce of hiking, then don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    If any of your guides are IFMGA,
    If anyone is advertising themselves as a mountain guide in Chamonix and isn't IFMGA certified I believe they're breaking French law aren't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    If anyone is advertising themselves as a mountain guide in Chamonix and isn't IFMGA certified I believe they're breaking French law aren't they?
    Yes, but they can have aspirant guides work under them who are not IFMGA/UIAGM(same same). Sort of like an internship. Of course, in any uber touristy area there are people wanting to take advantage of others. There was a fake IFMGA running around Austria for a bit a few years back..but still guiding(he didn't finish the entire course) but wore the pin.

Can't remember the ski shop - something like Snell, but there's tons of them.

The guide was good, no touring required (my wife's not into touring) - but an option if you want it. Some cool skiing, took my wife to her limit - but in a way that she felt safe and happy to do it. More slack country than really backcountry, but there were some big slots we have to avoid and a route that wasn't intuitive, definitely worth the money if you want off-piste. He found the best snow that there was (as far as I know anyway) and even those runs that have punchy Styrofoam snow that the skis were getting hung up on, you could tell that with some snow it would be incredible.

Concept pro shop under the midi
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Awesome info, thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    Concept pro shop under the midi
    This is exactly what I was looking for--lots of info on their website. Thank you.

Geo, can you PM me please? I sent you an PM and an email and haven't heard back.

http://www.technique-extreme.com/

You have to go for the name alone. Kinda the oppose end of the spectrum from Snell. Sort of a combination t-shirt shop, rental shop, mountaineering shop. In very French fashion, they'll rent you a rope and everything else needed to kill yourself. More affordable than most.

I think this is where some Safety Bob is supposed to tell you that your American concepts of backcountry, sidecountry, offpiste, resorts etc. do not apply. I've seen slides bury groomers at mulitple european locations.

Have fun, be safe, take pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    http://www.technique-extreme.com/I think this is where some Safety Bob is supposed to tell you that your American concepts of backcountry, sidecountry, offpiste, resorts etc. do not apply. I've seen slides bury groomers at mulitple european locations.
    This is why I love Europe. Go to Sankt Anton(or any other big resort) on a pow day..you'll see people riding out slides on "inbound" terrain all morning long on some ridiculous terrain. I miss it badly. Also..no one sues resorts there because, for the most part, everyone takes responsibility for their own actions. I was skiing in Andermatt two winters back quite a bit, we took the route behind mid-station Gemsstock to duck in those chutes. My friend released a 50m x 600m long avy that dusted the main groomer, no one hurt, we told a patroller and all he asked was if someone was hurt, we said no, then he just ski'd away. Be safe over there, it is not the same at all compared to the States.