Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    $50K just seems absurd for a small tow camper. Life is going to suck towing anything that big on trails where the armor is actually going to come into play. In reality, if its taken off road, it's just going to be dirt and gravel roads. In that case, get an R-Pod for $15K, put a lift on it for a couple hundred, and use the other $35K for hookers and blow and hotel rooms.

I agree with CoreShot. With the AWD Transit on the horizon, it's hard to imagine the added money and potential headaches of the Sprinter being worth it.
    Small Airstreams are 85k.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Been contemplating one of the '20 awd transit vans as a replacement for my aging excursion. It'll be interesting to see if they are available to just walk in and buy or if it'll be like the 4x4 sprinters that dealers don't get enough of and command a premium.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

re: espar

I've had experience with so many espar units driving fleet trucks and buses.
    They're finicky at best, horseshit at worst....and some of the malfunctions seem sketchy, like this winter when we had one throwing fire and sparks out the tailpipe, then we had another different one filling the cab with fumes, then we had another coolant-heater version espar disable a vehicle out on the highway by cracking and spewing all the coolant. A lot of times they won't start, or they randomly stop and you don't know they stopped until you notice it's super cold. Fucking espars...

It may be a different deal if you own one....operating it carefully and being meticulous about maintenance, I'm not sure about that.

Yeah my research landed on Webasto heater directly connected to diesel main tank. 4 yrs and a lot of cold nights later, it’s been solid. I did get it tuned for high altitude use. Which means it’s running lean at sea level....
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Sprinter has limited service stations and sometimes failures.
    Having owned one nearly 200 miles from the nearest dealership, I learned that this was not nearly as big a deal as I would have previously thought. For one, Freightliner dealers will work on them. Secondly, many diesel shops now specialize in them too. It ended up being easy peasy and reasonably priced to have my Sprinter serviced thanks to that second point. Many are even certified to help out with warranty work if need be, although mine was too solid to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Ford transit is bland, but 2020 they have factory awd. Wonder if that pops this van bubble.
    If it's AWD versus proper 4WD with Hi/Lo range gearing like the Sprinter, then I don't think Mercedes has too much to worry about with their market. 4Lo + studded snows proved quite helpful in more than one mountain job site situation, so I was very thankful to have that. Crazy good ground clearance too. I would have liked a 4WD Transit, but they didn't offer anything of the sort out of the factory. If they go just standard AWD, I'm not sure they'll put a dent in MB's glamper van business. If they do legit 4WD, though? Yeah, it'll be a huge hit for sure and MB better try and one-up them.

I find it really hard to believe there is any situation a van that size would need 4 low.
    Live Free or Die

I think it would be worth it's weight in gold for descending steep Forest Circus roads, particularly if the thing is loaded up.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I find it really hard to believe there is any situation a van that size would need 4 low.
    "Need" vs "helpful" are two different things. I said it proved 'helpful.' Sure, I probably COULD have made it out of the slushy mud puddle of a construction site in 2WD even. But before even bothering spinning my tires to begin with, I just popped it in 4Lo, and let it crawl out of there with zero drama. VERY nice when you're surrounded by other contractors trucks and vans parked really close to each other. I doubt they would have appreciated me slinging mud all over their vehicles and possibly side-swiping them. Mud was probably about half a foot deep. Spring thaw. Proper 4 wheel drive is very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I think it would be worth it's weight in gold for descending steep Forest Circus roads, particularly if the thing is loaded up.
    That too.

I understand that the aftermarket 4WD swaps on Transits use F150 part, which I think are 4WD, not AWD. Why wouldn’t Ford just use an F150 setup for the ‘20 Transit?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Here's a link to another forum that shows some of the new Transit and it's AWD system. It looks pretty cool and yes, does seem to be an AWD (vs 4WD) system. I would imagine for driving in the snow and on the forest and gravel roads these vehicles are likely to see, it will be fine. I don't plan on trying to go rock crawling in a 20' van.

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/...m-transit.html

Too bad that VW cunted up their business with their asshattery.

4wd VW Transporter with Seikel mods...would tap.

Absolutely love the van. Driven with the 4motions (with and without the e-difflock) for 500k and apart from 3 blown bulbs & one battery, zero faults.
    Ok, they are not rock crawlers and lack 4low and are smaller than the XXL Sprinters, but still. Option for pop-up roof, California interior..

Couple of years ago, in northern Norway, with my old 4M panel van crossed paths with a swiss couple & their exped Tatra. Ok, they were having some chilled Riesling from the fridge (and had a moped at the back of their truck) but we both burned some meat in the evening and drove back south from the Polar circle.

For them it cost a bit over 1000€ and for me 85€.

Edit : Not my van.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    "Need" vs "helpful" are two different things. I said it proved 'helpful.' Sure, I probably COULD have made it out of the slushy mud puddle of a construction site in 2WD even. But before even bothering spinning my tires to begin with, I just popped it in 4Lo, and let it crawl out of there with zero drama. VERY nice when you're surrounded by other contractors trucks and vans parked really close to each other. I doubt they would have appreciated me slinging mud all over their vehicles and possibly side-swiping them. Mud was probably about half a foot deep. Spring thaw. Proper 4 wheel drive is very nice indeed.
    This situation was not aided by 4 low. Traction is traction, you didn't need low gearing to get out of a mudhole.

I'll also add there is no way a van, shaped the way it is and all its limitations, is getting onto any road that is rough enough where 1st gear would be to speedy for the terrain, even downhill.

I get you own one, and it is perfectly fine you like it, but arguing about how the transit being AWD is a detriment is just not true.

I would like to know how you were able to get your hands on one. Every trustfunder in Jackson wants one but all I hear is they are unobtanium.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Mercedes with halogen headlamps is a big disappointment if you’ve ever had the Xenon. Never buy a modern Benz without the upgraded headlamps. Jmo.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Word. 99 E320 has the Xenons, badass.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

This situation was not aided by 4 low. Traction is traction, you didn't need low gearing to get out of a mudhole.

I'll also add there is no way a van, shaped the way it is and all its limitations, is getting onto any road that is rough enough where 1st gear would be to speedy for the terrain, even downhill.
    While we could argue all day about the usefulness of 4 Lo, I will at least totally concede that since like 90% of Sprinters I've encountered in the wild have been in Whole Foods parking lots and NOT on a backwoods trailhead, an AWD system on the Transit will likely totally suffice more the enough for the vast majority of the trustfunders who will inevitably own them.

I get you own one, and it is perfectly fine you like it, but arguing about how the transit being AWD is a detriment is just not true.

I would like to know how you were able to get your hands on one. Every trustfunder in Jackson wants one but all I hear is they are unobtanium.
    I actually don't have mine anymore. Sold it over a year ago as I no longer needed it for work. How'd I get it, though? Had an order in on one, but thankfully scored on a deal that fell through for someone else so nabbed that. Helped that I was actively working with an awesome salesman who was keeping his eye out for me, and already had like $10K plopped down on mine. You won't get one if you're a looky-loo.

As I’ve posted on the Transitusa forum, it’s great that there will be options. Some of us (like me) consciously went down the path of a moderately lifted, true 4WD Quadvan Transit with TrueTracs F/R and upsized tires (with diff ratios changed to compensate). This path makes sense if you go with short wheelbase (130”) and low or med roof...the clearance is adequate (11”), weight is moderate (6500 lb if I don’t have ‘everything’ in there, 6900 lbs with full load of amenities / 25 gal water / etc) and height is 8 1/2 ft. I take this on all the backroads I’d take an F150 on. And as with every truck I’ve owned, I rarely use the 4WD Lo but it’s nice to have eg going up/down a steep road near a utility line (in CA or NV high desert mtns these roads can be very steep but relatively road-like...not rock crawling).

Meanwhile the AWD Transit will have less clearance, smaller tires, and will meet most people’s needs especially those going down the Long and Tall van route that I avoided.

I’m not a #vanlife instagrammer so No I don’t have videos of some of the somewhat gnarly backroads I’ve gotten thru...just think of what you’d take an FX4 F150 on if you had some experience. Beyond Subaru capability but well below modified Jeep capability.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1C1BA30E-368B-4751-BCF7-A4B0AF9A78F7.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	578.3 KB 
ID:	276154

Exactly.
    Most don’t need 4x4
    Awd gets you to the ski hill and back.

How many range rovers have been rock crawling?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    re: espar

I've had experience with so many espar units driving fleet trucks and buses.
    They're finicky at best, horseshit at worst....and some of the malfunctions seem sketchy, like this winter when we had one throwing fire and sparks out the tailpipe, then we had another different one filling the cab with fumes, then we had another coolant-heater version espar disable a vehicle out on the highway by cracking and spewing all the coolant. A lot of times they won't start, or they randomly stop and you don't know they stopped until you notice it's super cold. Fucking espars...

It may be a different deal if you own one....operating it carefully and being meticulous about maintenance, I'm not sure about that.
    We went with espar for hyrdonic heating because it's a factory option and covered by warranty. Our living space heater is a webasto airtop diesel model. And I love it. Single best thing in our build.

OK I gave in & posted vid clip of my 4x4 #vanlife: https://www.instagram.com/forgeoverl...d=e6p7iuv30ycj

Back working at the van upfitter. Lots of work to be done here.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer