Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Taking the goggles off and putting sun glasses on is the SOP on longer skins and hikes. But I have forgotten my sunglasses on bluebird days and I was forced to wear my goggles on the hikes. Wearing goggles on the hikes works fine if I remember to bring my hat. My hat breathes well enough to prevent fogging. So if I wear my hat/goggle combo on the hikes I'm fine. But when I forgot my hat and glasses I resorted to wearing my goggle/helmet combo which doesn't work well on hikes and as a result I get to deal with my goggles fogging. You may ask why did I not take the helmet off? Well I did but it was frickin cold and my ears felt like they were going to freeze and fall off.

When I deal with my goggles fogging it is usually my fault due to poor planning. It's typically a non issue. And, if I'm being honest, I'm a gear whore so when a friend of a friend tried to sell me a pair of these Abom's I was curious enough to research them and ask if anyone here has any experience with them.
    You need a packing check list, not expensive hi-tech defroster goggles.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Ha. The battery tech in the 70's wasn't all that great. But the film has been around forever. Used in luxury autos.

I had the turbo fans. Bad connector, shortages. Noisy. More of a pain, marginal results. Same batteries as in the 70's
    Could not wear them hiking. I usually carry sunglasses for the up.

Thanks for the offer on the diy version. I think I'll pass on this project. I was actually researching ideas to make my own when I found the aboms. I don't think I could do better.

You can get fans for paint ball masks, or heated visors for snowmobiling. Might be a good place to search for parts. My idea was more of a fighter pilot style face mask for my helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ale_capone View Post
    Ha. The battery tech in the 70's wasn't all that great. But the film has been around forever. Used in luxury autos.

I had the turbo fans. Bad connector, shortages. Noisy. More of a pain, marginal results. Same batteries as in the 70's
    Could not wear them hiking. I usually carry sunglasses for the up.

Thanks for the offer on the diy version. I think I'll pass on this project. I was actually researching ideas to make my own when I found the aboms. I don't think I could do better.

You can get fans for paint ball masks, or heated visors for snowmobiling. Might be a good place to search for parts. My idea was more of a fighter pilot style face mask for my helmet.

Sent ya a pm. My diy project isn't for goggles it's an pre existing project specifically for normal sunglasses for uphilling that eliminates fogging completely. I'd say it has a money back guarantee against fogging but it ain't on the market.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by AweShuksan View Post
    New goggle heating tech?

Not really new (unless 40 years old qualifies it as "new"). Smith goggles had a thin, electrically conductive film to heat the lens via battery back in the 1970's. You can see it in this 1977 issue of Ski Magazine:

https://books.google.com/books?id=3U...page&q&f=false

See page 106.

I'm a face sweater too and the Smith Turbofan never worked very well for me. It would fog twice as fast as my other goggles and the fan would only clear them if the fogging conditions were only marginal. Plus the noise was like having a drone inside your goggles! I gave them away to an unsuspecting "friend".
    Well damn...should been a bit more foresightful when i was 4 years old...don't think skiing mags were in rotation for bedtime reading at the time.

But thanks for the education on the historical timeline.
    Master of mediocrity.

These do sound interesting. The problem with turbo fans is: if the batteries or any other part of the fan mechanism eat it (and it is pretty fragile), you are thoroughly fooked. At least these seem like they'd behave more like normal goggles when not in active-defog mode.

But when I saw the price I threw up a little in my mount. Fuck that!

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Well damn...should been a bit more foresightful when i was 4 years old...don't think skiing mags were in rotation for bedtime reading at the time.

But thanks for the education on the historical timeline.
    That's OK, it looks like even ABOM wasn't aware they are not the first. They claim:

"Abominable Labs is proud to introduce F-BOM: the first snow goggle with active anti-fog technology."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...fog-t/comments

Bumping this thread because it's approaching two years since these have been discussed on the forums as far as I can tell. Anyone else have any insights into the goggles? Reviews are still limited online.

For those of you who have blown off the goggle fogging problem (and this company) others have expressed problems with and have interest in... this is tech talk and it is a a real problem if you are a heavy sweater. You may not get it, but it doesn't mean that a high priced, techy solution doesn't have a place for some people.

I digress... anyone used these with success or failure since Jan 2018?
    -deej
    I'm against picketing... but I don't know how to show it...

Bump again... I am very exothermic, and fog goggles instantly.. I see mixed reviews on the Smith fan goggles which have since been discontinued... Anything else out there? and coatings? Wipes? anything people have positive experiences with?>

I've used them a bit over the past two years. They have two modes. One runs for around 30 seconds and the second runs continuously. Mode one will defog your goggles but I have found that the biggest benefit to this goggle is running mode two during a freezing fog or sleet that sticks to the goggle's lens. Mode two prevents crap sticking to the lens. Hope this helps.

I was looking at their display the other day at a ski shop, and am bumping this thread for the days of COVID masks.

Anyone else using these this season?

Bumping as well. I just housed a pair of new smith's. Had to resort to wiping the inside nultiple times with cvs lens wipes after fog to ice glaze episodes. Scratched the inside to holy hell.

Need new goggles. Must survive tram/heli/shweaty balls. Might start a new thread as searching hasn't exactly come through as a success.

I apparently don't believe in full sentences at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I’ve been using them since March 2021 as my primary goggles. I got them because I fog up every pair of goggles I’ve ever used if I’m wearing a buff or mask for Covid (I’m aware there are other possible solutions to this issue, none worked for me possibly because of my giant head).

The Abom goggles do work quite well. My only complaint is that the battery usually quits around 2:30 or 3 with fairly heavy use. They are especially good for heli and trams with big environment shifts so I think they could be the right solution for you.

If the new one this year has a bigger battery I’d recommend it. The chargers they ship with (usb plug + standard micro or mini usb cord) have to be the shittiest examples of those standard things I’ve ever seen and broke after 2 trips.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    I’ve been using them since March 2021 as my primary goggles. I got them because I fog up every pair of goggles I’ve ever used if I’m wearing a buff or mask for Covid (I’m aware there are other possible solutions to this issue, none worked for me possibly because of my giant head).

The Abom goggles do work quite well. My only complaint is that the battery usually quits around 2:30 or 3 with fairly heavy use. They are especially good for heli and trams with big environment shifts so I think they could be the right solution for you.

If the new one this year has a bigger battery I’d recommend it. The chargers they ship with (usb plug + standard micro or mini usb cord) have to be the shittiest examples of those standard things I’ve ever seen and broke after 2 trips.
    Thank you. The aboms look like a good solution.

Unfortunately , they are sold out everywhere.

https://abom.com/collections/heet-pr...ts/heet-goggle

Abom appears to have them in stock, at least for now. ??
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    https://abom.com/collections/heet-pr...ts/heet-goggle

Abom appears to have them in stock, at least for now. ??
    Damn. Missed this. They r gone.