Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Awesome to see 22k already raised in a matter of hours with an original goal of 7k. I hope that can just go to his family and Squaw should pick up the tab for any funeral related expenses.
    Squaw should match the collection. And pay family expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Squaw should match the collection. And pay family expenses.
    It's at 111k and counting so I seriously doubt it. Awesome support.

For the trollers out there that work in this industry...are you guys using MDI w/ time fuse or using nonel? Vibes to the family.

A separate thread about Avie control would be more appropriate
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Right on. Hopefully a report comes out with details.

+++ vibes and heart felt condolences to Joe's friends, family and co-workers.

Hey, would be nice to edit the title of this thread. it is inaccurate and reads a bit insensitive.

Condolences to family and friends. I feel for his partner and baby.

I had a Squaw pass last year for the first time (new to California). One look at it and you can see that it's serious business to patrol and keep safe. I was so sorry to hear about this. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

I'm not skiing Squaw this year, but I'll thank patrollers wherever I see them. I'm sure all of them in Tahoe are feeling this. Sobering after all the exuberance over the great snow this month.

Did squaw contribute to the fund?

It would be horrible if they didn't, for an employee that died while working.

RIP Joe

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

I would assume that his wife and child would be elgible for a workman's compensation death benefit--I believe professional (but not volunteer) patrollers are covered, and of course KSL pays the premiums. The amount would be at least 250K I believe. Maybe someone knows more about this than I do (actually Google). It's very sad to realize that a patroller is worth more dead than alive. Has to be one of the the most underpaid jobs in America.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I would assume that his wife and child would be elgible for a workman's compensation death benefit--I believe professional (but not volunteer) patrollers are covered, and of course KSL pays the premiums. The amount would be at least 250K I believe. Maybe someone knows more about this than I do (actually Google). It's very sad to realize that a patroller is worth more dead than alive. Has to be one of the the most underpaid jobs in America.
    Well, of course they get workmen s comp, I was asking if squaw saw fit to contribute to his fund.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

If they gave anything to his family I doubt it went through the fund.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    If they gave anything to his family I doubt it went through the fund.
    There were supposedly some large donations outside of the fund, regardless of Squaw. Say what you will about social media, the Go Fund Me trend for this sort of thing is pretty great.

Such a tragedy. Vibes to the Tahoe community and family.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!