Local pillar of the community dies in backcountry

Brett contributed countless hours to the trails here and mentored many. Illustrates how a simple sequence of crucial omissions can result in tragedy. His actions knowingly and likely saved his companion and cost him his life. A remarkable standup guy mourned by many here.
    http://www.themountainmail.com/free_...e08d1867b.html

Sad story. Just getting lost can have such tragic results.

So sad. So many questions...

Good reminder to carry extra layers beyond what you think you might use. I don't know what they had ; this was e experienced person. Also illustrates the usefulness of a sat locator, or radio and gps.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Man...what a bummer! whew...

I hope folks in that community rally around this young man Cole and kind of shepherd him through the next few years. This kind of thing will change somebody forever, let alone at a young age, I hope he's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    So sad. So many questions...

Good reminder to carry extra layers beyond what you think you might use. I don't know what they had ; this was e experienced person. Also illustrates the usefulness of a sat locator, or radio and gps.

Ditto!

Like to think my pack is good to go for overnight, but maybe not. Carry space blanket, saw, and sure way of starting fire.

Have read a candle will keep a snow cave warm?

Local pillar of the community dies in backcountry

RIP. Shit can go bad so fast, even for experienced people. Low visibility and unfamiliar terrain can mean you're lost really quick. It's happened to me.

Carry a Personal Locator Beacon as well as extra clothes and a space blanket or bivy sac.

For some reason I want to say that this isnt the first time someone has been lost around that hut in a storm. Can anyone remember a similar event in that area?

Edit: maybe this is it:

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_14077271
    Last edited by smitchell333; 01-22-2017 at 10:25 PM.

Everybody should carry a compass. As mentioned above, shit can go bad fast, and it would be cheap insurance for when other toys fail. I rode one day this year without my plb/gps, and got socked in so bad I couldn't tell direction. Was a couple miles from a highway, but compass could have saved me from the pure luck that eventually did.