Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Big Red Cats

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    We deal in rumours here. In this industry the only chance that a report of any consequence will be completed and circulated is if it's independently initiated by the guests, otherwise it'll just be damage control. In my informed and experienced opinion it's self evident that limits were pushed, and I'm as curious as anyone to know why.
    Interesting.... I get why the industry deals in damage control but I've also seen some pretty thorough investigations and reports from past events. The La Traviata avalanche in 2003, for example, had a very thorough investigation and report. Of course, the outcome of that was much more severe so maybe that's what drove it. I suppose that since there weren't any fatalities in this one, an investigation and report would probably be overlooked as the resources for studying such events are limited. Still, working from rumors without corroboration is dicey and potentially unwarranted.

As for limits being pushed, I would take your word on that; you would know better than me. I think you're likely right. But it also sounds as though some of the members of the group didn't follow instruction and skied outside the zone set by the guide. That's perhaps a part of pushing the limits, too. Skiing in general has the characteristic of pushing the limits so it's inherently dangerous in its own right, particularly when seeking the thrills related to mechanized skiing. Guys will be guys and want to push. It's the guides who need to manage that while still giving their guests the trip of a lifetime. But again, not being there and not knowing the specifics of what happened, I would be reluctant to spread the word via an internet public board. That's my point.

Further follow-up from one of the guests. Doesn't dig into the decision making pre-avalanche however.

http://www.rosslandnews.com/news/413...ml?mobile=true
    Life is simple. Go Explore.