Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

TR: A Tale of Twos

Locations: Hidden Peak, West Shore & Herlan Peak, East Shore, Lake Tahoe

Skiers: Enginerd, MLG, UCL & Mike

Photos: As noted

Synopsis: My life trajectory has really validated the theory that good things come in pairs. Ultimately, this TR is A Tale of Twos, so to speak. Two general themes, life and skiing. Two seasons, last year and this year. Two little boys, really struggling then triumphing. Two particular days. Two peaks on two shores of Tahoe. Two life arcs, pre- and post-parenthood. Two inversion layers, above and below the fog. It goes on and on, as does life…

This Tale begins on the West Shore of Tahoe, with a deep snowpack filled in from huge storms breaking over the Sierra Crest. Light filters through the trees, cutting through the fog layer leading up to the a second layer. Photo: MLG

Above the fog layer, looking out at the mystery below. Photo: MLG

For me, I had not yet began this day of skiing. While Enginerd, MLG and Mike explored Hidden Peak, my tale continued with two little boys who have entered my life. Photo: UCL

This season was just starting for me, as abruptly as it ended last February when Sarah was rushed into the hospital at 24 weeks. We knew it was much, much too early for that tale to begin, but two weeks later at 26 weeks the tale of Jack and Ben started. For the next 100+ days, their life started in the NICU. For me and Sarah, it was 124 days, over a third of 2016, spent in the hospital.

Day by day, these little guys powered on. While it continued to snow up in Tahoe in 2016, it was the furthest thing from my mind. I was overcome by the utter strength and resilience of two little boys that were born at only 2lb, 6oz and 2lb, 4oz (each dropping below 2lb at one point). Photos: UCL

Enginerd looks down at the possibilities on Hidden Peak, unsure what lays below the fog layer. Photo: Enginerd

This is much like last year, when Sarah and I tried to look through the fog with hope for the other end. Day by day, our Jack and Ben powered on, growing and fighting through infections and illness. Tiny little guys, enduring surgeries and countless procedures, while on oxygen for months. Sarah and I were witnessing the ultimate in power and determination. Photos: UCL

On Bliss Peak, Enginerd reaps the rewards of that similar determination of climbing up with power and strength. Photo: MLG

While the tale of Jack and Ben is really only beginning, when they finally got out of the hospital 100+ days later they were awesome. Zero complications, zero long term issues and all follow-up appointments showing extremely positive results. In looking back, at first I think Sarah and I are just lucky, as we are in the absolute best case scenario at this point. However, I realize it is not luck. It is Jack and Ben. Through their resilience and will, they are where they are. Sarah and I were just passengers, providing the love and support while they motored on with a vengeance!

So Enginerd, MLG and Mike continued on the West Shore, dipping into the fog inversion, the second layer of the day. Photos: MLG,

Two skis, cutting through the untracked snow. Photos: Enginerd

The first part of the story fades away, alpenglow painting the East Shore in the distance. Photo: Enginerd

Last edited by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer; 12-31-2020 at 08:56 AM.

TR: A Tale of Twos

This Tale continues on another day, on a different peak and on a different shore. The East Shore, shadowed away from the Sierra Crest, but offering good possibilities in deeper snowpack years. This day is my return to skiing, as the boys are doing great at home. Although Enginerd, MLG and Mike don’t realize, I am literally about to overflow with joy to strap on skins again, climb a peak and ski it.

My emotions are overwhelming a bit, as I feel guilt in leaving Jack at Ben at home. But I feel joy in being in the mountains and knowing that they are doing awesome and one day I will share this same experience with them. Knowing how awesome they crushed the NICU and how much they have grown, I know they will be strong. They will likely crush me on the skin track, in fact…

As we gear up, well beneath the fog layer, I get a text from Sarah wishing me a good day and telling me the boys say hi. I glance at my phone and a massive smile erupts on my face. I have to share it with Enginerd, MLG and Mike – a proud, fatherly moment as I get ready to skin. For me, the Tale starts again, skinning and skiing as a father, counting down the days to be able to share the mountains with my sons. Photo: Sarah

Similar to Hidden Peak, the lower portions of Herlan Peak are enshrouded in fog. We climb up and are greeted with unbelievable views. Photo: UCL

Scouting out lines, deciding what to ski. The possibilities before us. Photos: MLG, Enginerd

I moved slowly this day, breathing in the crisp mountain air, thinking a lot about the past year. 2016 will go down as the single best year of my life, as I bore witness to a miracle. Watching extremely premature babies grow over the course of a year into strong, healthy little men crawling around and growing personalities was unbelievable. While Jack and Ben visited us 3+ months early, I view it as 3+ more months I get to spend with them and get to know them. Photo: Enginerd

Deep reflections on the year, but never too serious… Photo: Enginerd

Above the fog, the steep snow was less than inspiring on our first run, but any day in the mountains is a great day. Enginerd fooling around with the Glen Plake inspired jump turns. Photo: MLG

As we punch through the fog towards Sand Harbor, the snow quickly improves. Photos: MLG, Mike, UCL

On the skin back up for another aspects, views of the sky did not disappoint. Photo: Enginerd

Nor did the slopes. Photos: MLG, Enginerd

Thanks to modern technology, I was able to sit perched on a rock, looking out at the unbelievable fog layer and FaceTime with my boys. They were smiling, crawling around, mostly confused my Dad’s glasses. While I could only virtually show them the views, I know that one day their eyes will look out at the Lake, while perched on a similar rock up a mountain. Photos: Enginerd

Invigorated, this Tale continues on the second lap of the day. The best is saved for last. Photos: Enginerd

Daylight dips, and we continue on. Photos: Mike, Enginerd

The Tale of this second day ends similar to the Tale of the first day, glancing across the shore in the alpenglow. Photo: Enginerd

As the tale of my family continues, I am excited. Photo: UCL

Last edited by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer; 12-31-2020 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Hell of a TR. Bravo!
    Healthy family, quality friends & playing in snowy mountains in between. Doesn't get much better than that.

Great TR and post, thank you for sharing. Congrats on the kids, they look great and in good health. Before you know it they will be ripping big turns and waiting for you at the bottom for the "old man" to show up.

This was great! Thanks for sharing UCL!

Oh man. Brings tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing.

We've got some similar life arcs going. Same career (I think), spouses of the same name (phonetically, at least), same twintroduction to parenting. We had a pre-term labor scare, but luckily made it to near term. Can't imagine in the least what you've gone through. Good on you for powering through. And thanks for the ski pics. Feels pretty good to get back out there, I'm sure.

I am so happy for you and your family. Avoiding the pitfalls of a 24 week delivery is something going very few do. And come out the other side intact and w a living partner? Even more rare. Congrats!!!!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Nice work. And the wonders of modern medicine continue to amaze, don't they?

Every time I ride Flume during the summer I think how if there's decent coverage I really want to go skiing over there. Definitely looks good to go!

Wow.

Great to see that your sons are doing well.

And nice to see you back out there.

Lived more of that than I want to remember. pull out beds in children's hospital rooms are the suck.

though 17 years later mine are a [combined] 12 ft 300 lb eating machine....
    "Can't you see..."

Congrats buddy, amazing story. Hope to see you out there soon

Congratulations, nice job interweaving skiing and life into the TR, and welcome to fatherhood of twins. It's an elite club and beers everywhere are free for the first 5 years (well, they should be).

Cool TR.
    A friend of mine had triplet preemies that survived due to a synthetic pulmonary surfactant that was developed just before they were born. Their little fists fit through his wedding ring. Crazy, huh?

Congrats.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Oh man, I cried. So glad those little guys made it and are thriving! Going to count my blessings more with my triplets than I was able to carry to 36 weeks. Keep up the good work!

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Amazeballs

Congrats on the kids. Nicu life is challenging. Glad you all made it out.

Sweet photos.

So excellent! Thanks!

And congrats on the brood.

To the top.

This thread delivers the stoke. Both skiing and life. I congratulate you, the Mrs., and your sons on persevering through the struggle. No retreat, baby. No surrender.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Very Touching, thanks for sharing so much.

Congrats on a healthy family! May you have many years together!

Good shit man. Can't imagine what that journey of your boys must have been like for you both. MAD props.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

You guys look happy, well done.

I think I have something in my eye ...
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

wow, thanks for sharing. great writing with the two story arcs.. all the best to you and your lovely young family!
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Wow UCL!!!

Thanks for sharing your journey.