Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Congress moves to give away national lands

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-federal-lease

Congress moves to give away national lands, discounting billions in revenue

Though recreation on public lands creates $646bn in economic stimulus and 6.1m jobs, Republicans are setting in motion a giveaway of Americans’ birthright

In the midst of highly publicized steps to dismantle insurance coverage for 32 million people and defund women’s healthcare facilities, Republican lawmakers have quietly laid the foundation to give away Americans’ birthright: 640m acres of national land. In a single line of changes to the rules for the House of Representatives, Republicans have overwritten the value of federal lands, easing the path to disposing of federal property even if doing so loses money for the government and provides no demonstrable compensation to American citizens.

At stake are areas managed by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), National Forests and Federal Wildlife Refuges, which contribute to an estimated $646bn each year in economic stimulus from recreation on public lands and 6.1m jobs. Transferring these lands to the states, critics fear, could decimate those numbers by eliminating mixed-use requirements, limiting public access and turning over large portions for energy or property development.
    Scary.

I'd like our public lands to stay public, whether in my state or not. Historically, land transfers to states have not haven't done so well on that front. I wonder what the implications to ski areas on federal land would be if transfers happen on a large scale.

Utah legislators would sell off their own mothers and put a strip mall on them if they could. Bad news there.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Utah legislators would sell off their own mothers and put a strip mall on them if they could. Bad news there.
    The BLM office in St. George has opened bidding for oil and gas in Virgin on the boundary of Zion NP. This state is beautiful but fucked up in soooo many ways.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Montana guys:
    What's the story with Zinke? I know he is opposed to fed--->state transfers in MT, right? How strong do you think his conviction on the issue is?

Trump's kids as hunters I believe have said they're opposed to it. As did Trump himself during the campaign once or twice, though it was never a major issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Wait until the states have to start paying to fight fires on previously-Federal land or try to find the funds for thinning.

What's the ostensible argument for the upside?

Reduce federal costs when it's really exposing an opportunity for the very wealthy to relive the railroad land allocations of the 1800s at the expense of the populus?

Fuckknuckles.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Upside is easy. Sell land at cut rate prices to your oil and gas and developer buddies who donate to your campaign, or run an LLC that you own a piece of. At least that is how they like to do it here in UT.

Ostensible argument to the public: We'll make it so the feds can't tell you what to do with your land. You'll be able to drive your RAZR anywhere you want! Freedom!

And the dumb asses here eat that shit up.
    sigless.

Upside is easy. Sell land at cut rate prices to your oil and gas and developer buddies who donate to your campaign, or run an LLC that you own a piece of. At least that is how they like to do it here in UT.

Ostensible argument to the public: We'll make it so the feds can't tell you what to do with your land. You'll be able to drive your RAZR anywhere you want! Freedom!

Yep. The lardos with RAZRs crowd is getting punked hard on this. But they're not really paying attention.

upside
    Brill's rich clientele can just buy that heli zone for their own use
    off your knees Louie

Nailed it.

Is there any way to convince these nitwits that it's not all about the money? So sickening.

This is my biggest fear of this administration. They are going to attempt to sell off the land to billionaire friends in billion dollar plots, giving the oligarchy giant enclaves for themselves.

If you guys want to get involved, please join backcountry hunters and anglers. I'm in western Washington and am trying to help things over here. Pm me if you want more details. We are all public land owners. Let's keep it that way.

I've written my senators and representative on this issue multiple times. I suggest you all do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Wait until the states have to start paying to fight fires on previously-Federal land or try to find the funds for thinning.
    This is precisely one of the primary problems. The next logical step in their shortsightedness is that they then start to sell off said parcels to the highest bidder. in order to generate revenue. The new landowner then locks the gates and puts up no trespassing signs and proceeds to do whatever pleases them. This has already happened in Idaho, and it will continue to happen.
    It blows my mind as to the stupidity of the lemmings who think that federal lands transfer is a good thing. The irony here is that in many cases it is the ATV and Sled crowd who are voting for these idiots and agree with their insane policies who will lose just as much as those of us that want to go do some back-country skiing or snow shoeing. They aren't just shooting themselves in the foot, they're performing double amputations of their legs!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    It will provide dicks like the Koch Bros the ability to buy lands with mineral exploitation, timber, water rights value and to then bribe the cocksuckers in congress so they can do reality television shows to get reelected and keep assfucking us all without the lube.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It will provide dicks like he Koch Bros to buy lands with mineral exploitation, timber, water rights value and bribe the cocksuckers in congress so they can do reality television shows to get reelected and keep assfucking us all without the lube.
    I know a few people that have guided them on fishing trip and they were by far the worst tippers. The rich gotta stay rich somehow I guess.

it just keeps getting worse...

At least the general RAZR ridin' public will be MUCH MORE educated under DeVos

Not to mention our children will be protected from grizzlies while in school!

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Montana guys:
    What's the story with Zinke? I know he is opposed to fed--->state transfers in MT, right? How strong do you think his conviction on the issue is?

Trump's kids as hunters I believe have said they're opposed to it. As did Trump himself during the campaign once or twice, though it was never a major issue.
    Watch what he does not what he says. He says he's for public lands. His vote on the recent House rule change shows otherwise.

Bottom line, expect Zinke to move the transfer process along.

Can someone enlighten me as to the "single line of changes to the rules for the House of Representatives" that paves the way for such a selloff. I skimmed that 43 page bill but nothing jumped out at me.

Something tells me the Wild Lands lobby (Sierra Club, Nature Conservancy, et al) will make the path to such a selloff very difficult, not to mention time-consuming.

Sort of ironic that a Republican administration (Teddy Roosevelt) was responsible for placing the now-USFS lands into trust for the public...

and if you go to the *new* white house web site you will not fine any mention of "climate change". Go ahead... run a search... it's gone.

Which just proves climate change doesn't exist.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    and if you go to the *new* white house web site you will not fine any mention of "climate change". Go ahead... run a search... it's gone.
    Same with lgbt rights. Gone. I guess they don't exist either. this is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Which just proves climate change doesn't exist.
    So Rick Perry Is going to have to change his "mind" again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........