Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Bit of thread drift here. Anyone with thoughts/experience on Panama? Looks like they have some good breaks. Not an advanced surfer by any means and looking at potential family trips sometime down the road. CR sounds great but definitely on the radar of everyone I talk to, and expensive

Only been to Panama once, and got some great waves some of the days. Why I recall is that access was a lot tougher than most of CR.

I don't have any firsthand experience with Panama. I have heard some good things though.

I wish I could give more info. The people I know that have gone have had a good time, but I really don't recall any specifics.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I feel like Panama has fewer breaks in total than CR, but likely could be fun.

I think Sayulita would be a good place to learn and a cool spot generally, even if known. I did a month in Costa Rica last spring and even as someone who surfed for years in New England and has surfed plenty in California, I was shocked at how powerful the surf was. On average it was just stronger, punchier, and scarier than what I expected. My girlfriend, who was learning last year, had little luck aside from the inside break at Pan Dulce, which was actually my favorite wave of the trip.

Places that are known for gentle point breaks IMO would be your best bet. Much of the beach breaks will be powerful and just kind of dump you, so when you research those, make sure they sound like they are REALLY for beginners b/c my scale certainly changed after going down there.

One place we didn't check out but thought to was Nicoya Peninsula facing the Golfo (Montezuma, etc.). Facing away from the main ocean so likely a little smaller.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    I feel like Panama has fewer breaks in total than CR, but likely could be fun.

I think Sayulita would be a good place to learn and a cool spot generally, even if known. I did a month in Costa Rica last spring and even as someone who surfed for years in New England and has surfed plenty in California, I was shocked at how powerful the surf was. On average it was just stronger, punchier, and scarier than what I expected. My girlfriend, who was learning last year, had little luck aside from the inside break at Pan Dulce, which was actually my favorite wave of the trip.

Places that are known for gentle point breaks IMO would be your best bet. Much of the beach breaks will be powerful and just kind of dump you, so when you research those, make sure they sound like they are REALLY for beginners b/c my scale certainly changed after going down there.

One place we didn't check out but thought to was Nicoya Peninsula facing the Golfo (Montezuma, etc.). Facing away from the main ocean so likely a little smaller.
    Out of curiosity, were you there in the summer months? Surf is way more powerful then in average. When I was down in CR over the holidays it was mostly beginner paradise.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Whatever you do in costa rica just stay away from pavones... theres nothing to see or do there.

I went to Izmir - Turkey for surfing. There is a place that has perfect wind for surfing you can go there as an usual surfing destination

Quote Originally Posted by dogancorie View Post
    Is it a safe surf destination?
    turkey is more safe than the USA

thank you guys for sharing

Costa rica or morocco in june/july?

Hy surf fam
    i’ve got some time off before starting my next thing in august. Earliest i’ll be able to escape from my current gig is june 1. Trying to decide if i should do a france/morocco link up or zen out in costa rica for a few weeks or two. I know its out of season for surf in CR, but what about morocco/south of france?

much obliged in advance,
    maba

You have it opposite. Summer is in season for Costa Rica and out of season for France and Morocco.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums