Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Surfing

Historically, crowds (tourism) follow surfers in search of waves. Wave pools are currently becoming more prevelant. Will they eventually wind up replacing far off surf destinations? I am thinking yes to an extent.

1) planning a surf trip far in advance is always challenging because conditions vary from week to week (as any surfer knows).

Keep a low profile and be leary of theft, common sense
    Last edited by m433e1; 07-05-2017 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    Only good surfing in CR is around high tide. Two hours before and an hour after. Low tide is pretty much unsurfable any where I've ever been. It it is surfable, it is shallow and super sketchy. Look at a tide chart and plan your trip around it so you are not stuck having to surf at 5:30 am.
    Pretty sure this isn't true and way too big of a generalization. Lived down there for 6 months many moons ago ('97 to be exact, with 2 week visit to Nica and CR in '05). Totally depends on the wave. Plenty of waves break at low tide. Only place I didn't make it to was Pavones.

My hang up with CR is A: its crowded now, B: Lots of the waves people talk about are variable beach breaks (Mal Pais, Nosara, Playa Grande, Witches, etc.) I have those here in SoCal, albeit with colder water. They can turn on and be great, but most of the time they are shifty beach breaks that are fun, but not epic.

When I'm traveling to surf, I'm looking for either reef or point breaks. I want a longer, better quality wave with fewer people than I have at home. That is pretty tough to find in CR at this point. Not impossible, but way more difficult than it used to be. Had Playa Langosta with 4 people out (including my dad and wife) for 4 days with 6-10' faces. Now there is a 3 story Melia hotel on the beach so you get to surf with 30 of your best friends from Texas. Ollie's was 6 boats of approx 6 to 8 guys on each boat, all competing for a tiny take off spot. If I went back I think it would only be for Pavones or maybe Negra and the surrounding breaks.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Yup. Sounds right to me. I was there about 18 years ago and had a blast. Shifty beach breaks and all. I imagine it is much more crowded these days.

I'd go back for a family trip, but not a dedicated surf trip.

There are much better places to go if it is just about the surf. I agree the goal would be quality reefs or points with small crowds. That is what I have at home but requires a 4/3 and boots. And I need to leave town for no crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Pretty sure this isn't true and way too big of a generalization. Lived down there for 6 months many moons ago ('97 to be exact, with 2 week visit to Nica and CR in '05). Totally depends on the wave. Plenty of waves break at low tide. Only place I didn't make it to was Pavones.

My hang up with CR is A: its crowded now, B: Lots of the waves people talk about are variable beach breaks (Mal Pais, Nosara, Playa Grande, Witches, etc.) I have those here in SoCal, albeit with colder water. They can turn on and be great, but most of the time they are shifty beach breaks that are fun, but not epic.

When I'm traveling to surf, I'm looking for either reef or point breaks. I want a longer, better quality wave with fewer people than I have at home. That is pretty tough to find in CR at this point. Not impossible, but way more difficult than it used to be. Had Playa Langosta with 4 people out (including my dad and wife) for 4 days with 6-10' faces. Now there is a 3 story Melia hotel on the beach so you get to surf with 30 of your best friends from Texas. Ollie's was 6 boats of approx 6 to 8 guys on each boat, all competing for a tiny take off spot. If I went back I think it would only be for Pavones or maybe Negra and the surrounding breaks.
    n'
    I went 12 years ago, and we did not get much in the way of crowds, other than one evening when the beach break in Jaco turned on. We surfed mostly Playa Hermosa and Esterillos, and neither place was crowded. We wanted to get the rivermouth left point Boca Barranca, which we didn't, but we were told that place gets very crowded, which is understandable given how great it is. I don't know if things have changed, but I would be surprised if you can't find relatively uncrowded peaks and Playa Hermosa on an ordinary week day.

The reason to go to Costa Rica is consistency. During the summer the Jaco area is just about always at least shoulder high, at least for Playa Hermosa. It is usually bigger. It is extremely rare for that area to be flat, so if you book a summer trip you are almost guaranteed waves.

That being said, I agree with you guys, it is rarely epic. Costa Rica is consistent, but so is Orange County in the summer. I can understand the sentiment that if you travel you want to get something you can't get at home. I think for Florida surfers, who see very little summer swell, it definitely makes sense, but I can see why someone from OC or La Jolla or Santa Cruz might not be interested. And like you guys said, the places that ARE epic get very crowded. I would still consider doing Costa Rica again, but I agree with everything you are saying. It is like traveling for skiing, there are not many places I am willing to go because I ski Mammoth 3 weekends a month and that is a great mountain. Part of it is also that I pay 400 a month for my ski lease, if I lived 45 minutes from Mammoth and did not need to do that I would travel more, but the only place in Colorado I actually would take a trip to is Silverton.

I loved going to Costa Rica. I might go back. It is easy and consistent, but it is far from my dream trip. If Pavones was consistent that might be different. Where I would really like to go is El Cardon in Mexico, but I have heard horrible things about them chasing locals out of the water and I won't support that. It looks like a beautiful left point though, my dream wave.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    n'
    I went 12 years ago, and we did not get much in the way of crowds, other than one evening when the beach break in Jaco turned on. We surfed mostly Playa Hermosa and Esterillos, and neither place was crowded. We wanted to get the rivermouth left point Boca Barranca, which we didn't, but we were told that place gets very crowded, which is understandable given how great it is. I don't know if things have changed, but I would be surprised if you can't find relatively uncrowded peaks and Playa Hermosa on an ordinary week day.

The reason to go to Costa Rica is consistency. During the summer the Jaco area is just about always at least shoulder high, at least for Playa Hermosa. It is usually bigger. It is extremely rare for that area to be flat, so if you book a summer trip you are almost guaranteed waves.

That being said, I agree with you guys, it is rarely epic. Costa Rica is consistent, but so is Orange County in the summer. I can understand the sentiment that if you travel you want to get something you can't get at home. I think for Florida surfers, who see very little summer swell, it definitely makes sense, but I can see why someone from OC or La Jolla or Santa Cruz might not be interested. And like you guys said, the places that ARE epic get very crowded. I would still consider doing Costa Rica again, but I agree with everything you are saying. It is like traveling for skiing, there are not many places I am willing to go because I ski Mammoth 3 weekends a month and that is a great mountain. Part of it is also that I pay 400 a month for my ski lease, if I lived 45 minutes from Mammoth and did not need to do that I would travel more, but the only place in Colorado I actually would take a trip to is Silverton.

I loved going to Costa Rica. I might go back. It is easy and consistent, but it is far from my dream trip. If Pavones was consistent that might be different. Where I would really like to go is El Cardon in Mexico, but I have heard horrible things about them chasing locals out of the water and I won't support that. It looks like a beautiful left point though, my dream wave.
    My comments on the crowds are how things changed between '97 and '05. In '97 we had everything to ourselves, not so much in '05...

Playa Hermosa is prolly one of the most consistent waves I have ever seen. With no swell its shoulder high. Careful when it gets bigger. A kid that went to my College died there as it gets pretty heavy with some swell...

Agree with ur post, including the Cardon bit. Really want to go there, but doesn't seem legit. Apparently June had the highest number of murders in the last 20 years in all of Mexico!?!?! Cabo murders are up something crazy like 600% since March. We cancelled our trip to Guerrero, that had become my favorite trip of the year, after going the last 5 years. Too much bad chit going down in Mexico for this dad of 3 these days. So F'n corrupt (no news flash there), much less value of human life, and cartels fighting for regions post Chapo capture just made it a no fly zone for us this year... Sad

So, anyone got a place within a couple hours of LAX for some warm water, tasty waves, where my probabilities of getting shot are a little lower?
    He who has the most fun wins!

My comments on the crowds are how things changed between '97 and '05. In '97 we had everything to ourselves, not so much in '05...
    I would have loved to see it back then. One of my buddies from college actually went down there for a month during the summer of '97. I would really have loved to surf Pavones back in the day. It has all been discovered now.

Playa Hermosa is prolly one of the most consistent waves I have ever seen. With no swell its shoulder high. Careful when it gets bigger. A kid that went to my College died there as it gets pretty heavy with some swell...
    Even at a foot or two overhead Playa Hermosa is punchy. I actually broke a board there. It has some real power.

Agree with ur post, including the Cardon bit. Really want to go there, but doesn't seem legit. Apparently June had the highest number of murders in the last 20 years in all of Mexico!?!?! Cabo murders are up something crazy like 600% since March. We cancelled our trip to Guerrero, that had become my favorite trip of the year, after going the last 5 years. Too much bad chit going down in Mexico for this dad of 3 these days. So F'n corrupt (no news flash there), much less value of human life, and cartels fighting for regions post Chapo capture just made it a no fly zone for us this year... Sad

So, anyone got a place within a couple hours of LAX for some warm water, tasty waves, where my probabilities of getting shot are a little lower?
    Things have gotten pretty scary. I found some places on mainland Mexico I want to check out, but I am scared to go now. It is a shame.

http://www.presentmomentretreat.com/...activities.htm
    http://www.costaazul.com/

Those are two places I have wanted to check out. I think I might pass right now.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Jajaja

Headed down to CR second half of this month. Friend can only make it down for part of the time, so I'll be on my own for a bit. As such, looking at https://witchsrocksurfcamp.com/. Anyone know anything about them?

Other suggestions/recommendations for all categories appreciated as well! Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    Headed down to CR second half of this month. Friend can only make it down for part of the time, so I'll be on my own for a bit. As such, looking at https://witchsrocksurfcamp.com/. Anyone know anything about them?

Other suggestions/recommendations for all categories appreciated as well! Thanks!

Ended up having a really great time with WRSC in Tamarindo. Went to 5 different breaks in 8 days of surfing; 2 by boat and 3 by van. Conditions were excellent on all but 2 days. Recommend for anyone looking for a camp experience. Definitely helps if you can book your trip when high tide is in the early AM hours as most breaks work best then. Instruction was terrific too.

Thanks for the post, Stalefish. I'm starting to look at CR for some Oct-Dec surf adventures. I might PM you later.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Thanks for the post, Stalefish. I'm starting to look at CR for some Oct-Dec surf adventures. I might PM you later.
    I didn't go anywhere but Tamarindo area, but feel free to HMU.

Depending in what you’re looking for Santa Teresa is a great spot as well. I’ve been both places so happy to help if I can as well

Sweet - appreciate it stalefish and supermoon. I haven't done a bunch of research yet, but starting to look, so here's where I'm at...

Beginner surfer (10-15 days so far), reasonably athletic, looking for a good surf spot for Oct-Dec timeframe. Would like to have a place that has reasonable internet (I'll be taking a few classes remotely) and a decent nightlife would be fun (but not required). Doesn't have to be the cheapest but would prefer not too expensive.

In CR it sounds like Tamardino (kinda a shit show), Playa Negra, or Nosara could be decent but any other suggestions? Assume traveling to CR during COVID was fine, stalefish? I'm also looking at other spots around the globe - Mexico, Canary Islands, Sri Lanka, Philipines... - but don't want to drift this thread too significantly. Frankly, this might merit its own thread but figured I'd capitalize on the opportunity to ask y'all.

Sweet - appreciate it stalefish and supermoon. I haven't done a bunch of research yet, but starting to look, so here's where I'm at...

Beginner surfer (10-15 days so far), reasonably athletic, looking for a good surf spot for Oct-Dec timeframe. Would like to have a place that has reasonable internet (I'll be taking a few classes remotely) and a decent nightlife would be fun (but not required). Doesn't have to be the cheapest but would prefer not too expensive.

In CR it sounds like Tamardino (kinda a shit show), Playa Negra, or Nosara could be decent but any other suggestions? Assume traveling to CR during COVID was fine, stalefish? I'm also looking at other spots around the globe - Mexico, Canary Islands, Sri Lanka, Philipines... - but don't want to drift this thread too significantly. Frankly, this might merit its own thread but figured I'd capitalize on the opportunity to ask y'all.
    Yeah, when I was in Tamarindo everything was very subdued compared to normal according to the locals...all the restaurants were forced to shut down at 9pm when I was there. Could be different in a few months...Covid was a non-issue when I was there. Although I did have to get travel insurance to enter CR which was about 11 dollars a day. Also had to get a negative test to come back to 'murica which was about 80 dollars. However I just read that CR is waiving the travel insurance requirement soon.

I had a good time in CR, but prices were basically US costs with the exception of cheaper alcohol. A decent dinner was basically 20 USD. Mexico is basically 1/2 price from my experiences.

Tamarindo is definitely a good option to look at. Has a great beach break that just pumps non-stop. I was there in late fall and it was perfect. By the end of the week I was surfing better than I ever had or ever have since.

Lots more nightlife than anywhere else on that side of the country. Prices are close to US, but the beer is cheap. I've also heard good things about the surf school just north of there. Might be work a look.

Nosara is a cool little town, but I’ve heard it’s been blown up by the yuppie yoga crowd since I’ve been. Also, as a beginner surfer, the swell was a little big at that beach for me, but that was in late April. We ended up heading down to Samara to surf in the more protected bay.

We rented a car and drove from Tamarindo down to Samara over the course of about 10 days. Tamarindo definitely the busiest/most nightlife of any others beach in that stretch.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Surf is quite a bit smaller in winter. Santa Teresa’s can thump tho. Nosara is typically chest high ish in winter. Less rain. Cheaper than Tamarindo. Most places are. But it is no longer the inexpensive paradise of two decades ago. We lived on $15 per day for food, beer and lodging (mix of camping and hotels). Dominical is worth a look as well. Rea pretty down that way.

Bump. Looks like I'm running point on a week long surf trip/bachelor party to CR first week of November (assuming Delta doesn't crater everything). Bachelor and crew are pretty low key but I feel like it's mandatory to get out at least a few nights. Majority of attendees are landlocked kooks but all athletic and stoked to surf. Sounds like Tamarindo is the place for this type of event? If it were up to me surf would be priority #1, but given the mix of low level talent (all intermediate or below) I think the best plan is to locate near the action to allow for options beyond surfing if some of the crew isn't feeling it.

I think you’re on the right track. Tamarindo has IMO one of the better beginner breaks as well as the most nightlife options. I’m not good enough to know but I think there are a couple of point breaks nearby as well for more advanced surfers in the group

Thanks for the input starfish, supermen, ZZZ, and ottime. I’m going to post a broader input to get additional inputs from the mags.

Its a nice country for make surf, good option

Anyone have recent car rental experience in CR? Going again soon and need to make sense of the insurance. I've rented before in LatAm but trying to balance having the right insurance without getting fleeced is a real conundrum to work through! Looking to pick something up at the Liberia airport. Thanks in advance for tips and or recommendations!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Rent from a costa rica company like Adobe or through Toyota - https://toyotarent.com/index.php. Have had good experiences with both. Book direct through their sites vs. via an online travel agencies. Prices for companies like Hertz, Avis etc. will look good online, but will be 2x when you get there from all of the hidden fees. Most companies due pickup at the Liberia airport or will have a driver/shuttle for you to get to their lot nearby - will be there in late December and renting through Toyota.

High(er) clearance vehicle may come in handy if you plan to go between small towns on the coast.

There is mandatory liability insurance all companies in CR will charge you, but you can decline collision insurance if you have CDW coverage through the credit card you book with. You will need to bring a letter from your cc company for proof of coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRider View Post
    Rent from a costa rica company like Adobe or through Toyota - https://toyotarent.com/index.php. Have had good experiences with both. Book direct through their sites vs. via an online travel agencies. Prices for companies like Hertz, Avis etc. will look good online, but will be 2x when you get there from all of the hidden fees. Most companies due pickup at the Liberia airport or will have a driver/shuttle for you to get to their lot nearby - will be there in late December and renting through Toyota.

High(er) clearance vehicle may come in handy if you plan to go between small towns on the coast.

There is mandatory liability insurance all companies in CR will charge you, but you can decline collision insurance if you have CDW coverage through the credit card you book with. You will need to bring a letter from your cc company for proof of coverage.
    Thanks for this info. Checked out https://toyotarent.com/index.php but it seems like they don't have any availability for my dates.

Buddy ended up booking us a Toyota Rush (Rav 4) for 3 weeks at $1000 a week over the holidays. Glad we had the rig because we got to travel all over the Nicoya Peninsula and surfed every single day for 2 weeks straight.

Had a couple of dream sessions in Santa Teresa. One morning at Playa Carmen was perfect head high conditions with literally no wind or people. Nosara was fun, but the smallest waves of the trip. My nickname for Nosara is Jungle Aspen. Had a couple pumping days at Playa Grande (pictured) and even made it to Witch's Rock. Waves weren't the classic tubes, but we were still psyched. Unfortunately, high tide was in the afternoon when we were in that neck of the woods. Will have to go back. Epic trip all around with great waves for the holidays.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk