Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Suncloud View Post
    no disrespect, but i hate the fucking Eagles.
    Get your own fucking cab!

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    The early 70's was far from a goofy era
    I don't give a crap what you think is cool or not really, and of course there was a ton of great music in the '70,s but to pretend it wasn't goofy? Bellbottoms? Afros? Paisley? Platform shoes? Sonny and Cher? The Osmonds? The Partridge Family? Come on man. It was plenty goofy.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I don't give a crap what you think is cool or not really, and of course there was a ton of great music in the '70,s but to pretend it wasn't goofy? Bellbottoms? Afros? Paisley? Platform shoes? Sonny and Cher? The Osmonds? The Partridge Family? Come on man. It was plenty goofy.
    Point taken. I meant the good music of the Era was far from goofy. The 70s as a culture was pretty damn goofy.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

That's all I was saying. Plenty of amazing music came out of that time no doubt.

my wife's friend's uncle plays guitar on this one

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    he's jaded cuz he lost his 'pet rock'
    Hey man! I loved that little guy, and it led me to a career of taking care of pets, so it wasn't all bad.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Nitty Gritty Dirt Band....just love the name. Also like this song:

Didja know that Jackson Browne was a member of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band? There's some trivia for you!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    My favorite 8 track was Can't Buy a Thrill - Steely Dan, followed closely by Countdown to Ecstasy. I really, really liked Bodhisattva. I played that song over and over and over. Skunk Baxter was/is an incredible lead. Loved those albums.
    As much as you can play a song over and over again on an eight track.........

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Point taken. I meant the good music of the Era was far from goofy. The 70s as a culture was pretty damn goofy.
    As GQ is tweeting the "JNCOS are back!"

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Hotel California
    Joe Walsh made such a huge difference when he joined the band. He didn't compose that song, but made it so much better. Watched them perform it a few years ago when they were on tour again, and they did it perfectly, exactly the same as the album, although they added a trumpet intro, which I think Joe played.

Since I couldn't get a good link on my earlier post, and it is now buried, here is one of the greatest songs to come out of the early 70s

The original

Later live version

...and probably my favorite, an acoustic version

edit: It's worth listening to all three versions

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Is that by Weird Al?
    LMAO
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

This fits...I think.https://youtu.be/zLgeTtYwQ7o
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

^^^the world needs more talkbox. no really.

As i said above, I am rock, and roll to the bone.
    I make no apologies to loving my Bee Gee's, or ABBA.
    Its not so much the music for me, it is the memories of what that music brings back.
    If you had any idea of what I did at the drive in, or at my girlfriends house, or in my 78 Jeep Renegade, to Saturday Night Fever, or ABBA.
    It would be seared into your brain like Pavlov's dog.
    As soon as I hear Staying Alive, my pre VCR brain plugs in, and I get to relive some of the best moments ever.
    Fleetwood Mac Rumours was also very very good to me..
    I can picture exactly what I was doing to each, and every song on those albums.

Abba? Seriously?

“I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

1973 Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

In summer 1974 I was working in a sawmill in Haines AK. Met some guys, one of whom grew up there, who were artists for the Indian Arts Center. One weekend we took a pickup, gas generator, 100' of extension cord, turntable, 100W Amp, and the Arts Center's main speakers to a campsite where we could see the Rainbow Glacier, which was advancing to the sound.

Set up camp and stereo, dropped acid, played DSOTM, and watched the glacier advance. It did actually calve a small piece off into the ocean, which was pretty fucking spectacular on acid.

About four hours into this extravaganza a tour bus showed up...

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Didja know that Jackson Browne was a member of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band? There's some trivia for you!
    I was not aware... However, I see he was in the band for a full three months. Of course, I really never knew who was in the band so, there's that. Good trivia, though. I'll keep that in the back of my bar-trivia mind.

As much as you can play a song over and over again on an eight track.........
    I had a pretty good system for knowing when to switch from any of the other tracks to the beginning of the song so, surprisingly, was pretty good at getting it to repeat relatively quickly. But yeah, not like any of today's technology. I did manage to wear out a couple of copies of that 8 track. I still have that song on my Top Choices list on my ipod.

Getting into the later '70s here, but how 'bout this classic?

To me the early 70s was Neil Young - all of his albums up to that point; Rolling Stones - their all time best albums, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street; Joe Walsh - the James Gang Rides Again, and whatever album had Mama Says and Turn to Stone on it; Humble Pie - Smokin; Lou Reed - Rock and Roll Animal; Derek & the Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (the best album of all time IMO); Allman Brothers Band - Live at Fillmore East, Eat a Peach, Brothers and Sisters; David Crosby- If I Could Only Remember My Name; Fleetwood Mac - Kiln House (Station Man).

I'm probably forgetting something else important, but that was mostly it for me.
    Last edited by billyk; 01-19-2017 at 06:45 AM.

Doobie Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    This fits...I think.https://youtu.be/zLgeTtYwQ7o
    I could never see the love for Frampton, unless of course you were a high school girl with wet pantues. If so, my apologies.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Abba? Seriously?

]
    Masturbation can cause a strong emotional response.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    1973 Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

In summer 1974 I was working in a sawmill in Haines AK. Met some guys, one of whom grew up there, who were artists for the Indian Arts Center. One weekend we took a pickup, gas generator, 100' of extension cord, turntable, 100W Amp, and the Arts Center's main speakers to a campsite where we could see the Rainbow Glacier, which was advancing to the sound.

Set up camp and stereo, dropped acid, played DSOTM, and watched the glacier advance. It did actually calve a small piece off into the ocean, which was pretty fucking spectacular on acid.

About four hours into this extravaganza a tour bus showed up...
    Finally, someone who gets it. That is what defined the era. One if tge greatest albums and songs of the decade if not forever, and I was never a big Floyd fan.

iscariot