Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    overspending on trinkets that don't necessarily make you a better skier.
    It's usually an inverse relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    overspending on trinkets that don't necessarily make you a better skier.
    This is TGR, it's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I love carbon fiber shit, my question is, why would they have painted these black instead of leaving the bare carbon fiber?? Half the point of CF is that it looks so cool!
    I was staring at mine today on the chair, and they seem to be painted on cheesy aluminum to sorta look like carbon fiber. Does that count?

Helio Fixed Length Carbon Ski Pole

I have carbon famboo poles. They can hold brandy or vodka martinis and can be used to fire blowdarts when I'm being chased by KGB.

Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    I hate to break it to all of you carbon fiber lovers but that pretty carbon weave you see on most carbon fiber products is just a face sheet. Almost all carbon fiber products are that dull gray until its covered with that cosmetic carbon weave face sheet because that's what people expect/want their carbon fiber to look like.
    I had an expensive "carbon fiber" skid plate on my KTM 300 a few years back. After a season, it was smashed to shit, and it's true core was revealed. Fiberglass, with a carbon skin. I went to plastic skids plate's and never regretted it. Lighter, more resilient, and slipperyer

Most ski town thrift stores have a $5 barrel of ski poles. Old good Scotts, Lekis, Lifelinks, Smiths whatever you want in colors that will certainly be "in style" in the next couple of years in they are not this season.

While those of you who spent $40 on your poles mock those who are willing to spend $300, I'll be sitting quietly a couple bar stools down snickering slightly while sipping my moderately priced bourbon neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Most ski town thrift stores have a $5 barrel of ski poles. Old good Scotts, Lekis, Lifelinks, Smiths whatever you want in colors that will certainly be "in style" in the next couple of years in they are not this season.

While those of you who spent $40 on your poles mock those who are willing to spend $300, I'll be sitting quietly a couple bar stools down sipping my moderately priced bourbon neat slightly snickering.
    I got my current poles at Goodwill. They're old rental poles. Funny thing is, they're Series 4, same as WC and Team poles. $5.

While those of you who spent $40 on your poles mock those who are willing to spend $300, I'll be sitting quietly a couple bar stools down snickering slightly while sipping my moderately priced bourbon neat.
    ALWAYS neat.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I got my current poles at Goodwill. They're old rental poles. Funny thing is, they're Series 4, same as WC and Team poles. $5.
    My current poles for lift-served are trashed: Mismatched baskets from the parts bin at the local hill; ice-tips long gone; unexplained bends and kinks so the tips are not even close to aligned with the shafts; only about 70% of the paint still adheres to the scratched-up aluminum; a big chunk of one grip is just gone. They're fuggly. But I don't give a shit, they do their job, and no sane person would want to steal them.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    How do you die instantly from stabbing yourself in the femoral artery?? If you rupture that artery, you die from bleeding out, which takes a couple minutes
    Maybe he was really tall?

And I'll be home sipping the same bourbon for one fifth the price because I didn't pay some bar's markup on that whiskey.

Me, I like the simple approach:

While those of you who spend $5 on your poles mock those who are willing to spend $40, I'll be getting drunk on hand sanitizer in the bathroom of a greyhound bus station.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    While those of you who spend $5 on your poles mock those who are willing to spend $40, I'll be getting drunk on hand sanitizer in the bathroom of a greyhound bus station.
    Made me laugh

Years ago, my wife bought cheap carbon poles. She loved the graphics on them. Second day using them in the backcountry we found out why they were so cheap. After skinning to the ridge, one of the poles sort of just unraveled when she tried to release her binding. The other pole wasn't far from coming apart. We were a couple miles from the car with a few little uphill sections to get back. She was none too happy not having those poles on the return. She demanded we go straight back to the ski shop. I felt really bad for the poor clerk when she let loose her anger & frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    And I'll be home sipping the same bourbon for one fifth the price because I didn't pay some bar's markup on that whiskey.
    I'm shocked that you don't have any bartender friends.

On a quasi-semi-related note, there was a big article in the paper today about craft-distilled American single malt whiskies, basically American single-malt "Scotch", kinda - and I didn't know that was even a thing. Has anybody reading this tried any of them?

I'm shocked that you don't have any bartender friends.
    I'm not an alcoholic. At that level.

Hutash gave me a really nice bottle of Scotch. Yum & Thanks!
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    On a quasi-semi-related note, there was a big article in the paper today about craft-distilled American single malt whiskies, basically American single-malt "Scotch", kinda - and I didn't know that was even a thing. Has anybody reading this tried any of them?
    I haven't but have noticed a big uptick in the number of micro-distilleries popping up in the last couple years. There's a highly regarded distiller in Seattle that does single malts called Westland I'd like to check out some time.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That deserves a ranting Willie Simpsons segment. Maybe a whole episode. Work in Moe's, easily, and Mayor Quinby as an "investor".

My old BD Carbon adjustable poles flick lock won't hold anymore and I was looking for something like this. Not at $300 though. I guess I should feel shame if I buy them on sale? My inbounds poles are bamboo this year so I have that going for me. I would think that BD would warranty something that pricey for years to come. To put it into context that is less than the price of any new golf driver nowadays. Will either make you better at your sport ? probably not . Just toys
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I'm not an alcoholic. At that level.
    Functional is the word you are looking for.

You mean waking up in your own bed with your undamaged car parked well?

You mean waking up in your own bed with your undamaged car parked well?
    Some days. Being able to find my pants in the morning in less than 5 minutes other days.