Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hey Huckers! What's your ski for dropping in the trees?

I have the whitedot redeemers which I love. But I'm finding here in the PNW that a lot of things I want to jump off of have lots of tightish trees which the redeemers don't thrive in. So I'm thinking about getting another ski that favors trees, pow, and landings.

What's been your favorite for dropping off cliffs with quick turns at the bottom?

a Parachute

badump!
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Billy Goats. The end.

wailer 112s

ProTest, the end, end.

So I have 183 Bent Chetlers, 185 JJs, and have owned 186 Billy goats(and currently own the skinny billy), and many other skis in the chargy/tree category.

I personally think the JJ or Bent Chetler is what you are after. Especially in the PNW where the snow tends to be a bit wet and heavy. The pin tail on the Goats doesn't release into a turn as quickly as the bents or JJs since they are both nearly symmetrical. As long as you mount the JJ or Bents far enough back, they will always deliver.

pontoon or pon2oon. not my favorite ski ever although they are fun. That being said, what you are describing is literally their specialty. Best pillow and tree ski ever especially in heavier pnw snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    So I have 183 Bent Chetlers, 185 JJs, and have owned 186 Billy goats(and currently own the skinny billy), and many other skis in the chargy/tree category.

I personally think the JJ or Bent Chetler is what you are after. Especially in the PNW where the snow tends to be a bit wet and heavy. The pin tail on the Goats doesn't release into a turn as quickly as the bents or JJs since they are both nearly symmetrical. As long as you mount the JJ or Bents far enough back, they will always deliver.
    Owned both, got rid of both because they werent what I was looking for in wet and heavy. YMMV
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post

Where do you have your Bents mounted?

Last edited by TahoeJ; 01-14-2017 at 07:12 AM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Billy Goats. The end.
    x 2. The end.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Praxis Concept is worth a look they pivot on a dime. I also never felt the JJs held up in cement. x2 Protests slay at this if you want a bigger pow ski.

i found the best tool for dropping Tahoe trees is a Stihl 064-066, 28" with full skip, muffler mod, stack air filter.
    oh, nevermind
    agreed BG's or fatty Praxis, hell- i thought Rossi SM's in a 207 worked pretty well.
    now back to shoveling. thanks for a break
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Lib tech pow is a pretty good combination of stompy but turny.

Definitely 4frnt renegade.
    If you buy anything else you've negated the original post. Assuming you were truly seeking the answer. You now have the answer and I expect you will follow through and act on my advice. Feel free to delete the thread or leave it standing up to you I guess but I don't want this to turn into some kind of debate about the shortcomings of other skis compared to your new renegades

Protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Owning both, the Billy Goat is way more forgiving if you land a little fore or aft of center than the Protest, and they're nearly as quick. Plus I find landing on a 128mm underfoot platform to be a little harsh. I vote BG.

My 2 cents? FWIW, I found the tail on the BG to be a bit soft when hucking, its definitely better than some skis though. That said, if you're landing in tight trees, a solid stomp will accelerate you pretty quickly, so maybe thats not what you want? I've found a super stiff reverse camber ski to stomp the best, but it'll definitely accelerate you (more than most). It really puts the pressure right under your feet, which feels pretty damn solid. A soft tip will tend to plow and slow you down so you can make your next move, but that can also mean going over the bars. A soft tail means more wheeling and backslapping. But that'll also slow you down. And a sunken pintail will really help you shut it down. For tight treed landings and hucks there's always compromises in the various kinds of skis that you could pick. I personally prefer dealing with the extra acceleration.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 01-14-2017 at 10:04 PM.

Protests are currently winning in the forum. Pretty big turn radius on those suckers though, same with the billy goats - not exactly what I normally look for in a ski I play to spend a lot of time in the trees with.

The Bent Chettler are a lot of ski for tight tree's in my opinion, although when I tried them out I went a bit long at 192, maybe the shorter length.

The JJ's are a ski I've looked at before but never got on. That has a shorter turning radius and is a bit softer. I've heard mixed things about the renegade. Hopefully I can demo a handful of these this winter.

I'm pretty partial to the Stihl farm boss line, although the MS 391 would be a pretty rad beast.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mufasa5446 View Post
    Protests are currently winning in the forum. Pretty big turn radius on those suckers though, same with the billy goats - not exactly what I normally look for in a ski I play to spend a lot of time in the trees with.
    They turn a lot quicker in soft snow than the radius would suggest. YMMV though, I don't like skis with tight turn radii

On the EC, Hart F17's.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Ignore the turn radius on the Protest. It's just there to make getting back to lifts in groomers tolerable. The running length on the side cut section is very short, it's really just under foot extending a touch in front and behind the binding. The rest of the ski is reverse taper. The ski is so lightening quick in trees it's stupid. They pivot on a dime, literally. You can go from hauling ballz to shutting it down to sane speeds with just a flick of the ankles.
    Go to the praxis site and look at the numbers as well as the pic, base side pic gives the best look at the shape. I can't rave enough about them. Sooooo much fun.

If you thought the 192 Bent was too much ski, you'll probably prefer something soft and turny, like a 185 JJ 2.0, 186 Automatic 117, Kartel 116, or Line Mordecai.

Or grab a Praxis ski like the Protest or GPO in a #3 flex.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

4FRNT Renegade. End of discussion.

Just when you think the discussion has ended, it continues.

I can see why you guys need so many skis: a ski for trees, a ski for cliffs, a ski for cliffs in trees, a ski for trees in cliffs...
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang