Least harmful base-cleaner/wax remover...latest and greatest ?

What are people using lately to clean old wax, grease and dirt from bases? Trying to avoid stuff like SWIX base cleaner and similar haz-mat stuff. Detergents work OK for grease and dirt...leaves wax behind... Things change every few years..so I'm always looking for new stuff...

.Beer still doesn't work well...whiskey too expensive.
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

I use this biodegradable stuff derived from orange peels, mostly for spring pollen black goo -- but only when necessary cuz solvents can dry out bases. Strong and effective so a lil' dab'll do ya. Swix also makes an orange peel solvent which AFAIK is the same stuff although more expensive.

^^^citrus solvent. Tons of bramds/options.

Least harmful base-cleaner/wax remover...latest and greatest ?

For old Kick wax, pitch, etc...
    Pedro's degreaser 13 is a great non volatile choice if its really bad.

For dirt and general grime ... Isopropyl alcohol or dawn-water solution.

But for glide wax ? ....sharp plexi scraper and multiple brushes. The more often you wax, the better they hold the wax. Don't use solvent unless it's really necessary. Very rarely.

KUU Base Cleaner Bio Citron- 8oz (227ml) Pump

This is my favorite to use for every waxing and light cleaning. This solvent cleans wax, dirt, klister, pine tar without drying out the base and the best part is that it dries fast with no haze. This stuff also works on removing pitch and tar from cars and trucks without hurting the clear coat. It's also recommended by Arc'Teryx for outwear spot removal.

Using a good topical cleaner is a quick way to get rid of stuff that affects the ability for the new wax to adhere to the old wax and bases.

For more aggressive, non-toxic base cleaner and wax remover, SVST's Agent Orange works.
    SVST Agent Orange Citrus Base Cleaner-6oz/177ml

100% biodegradable, this base cleaner dissolves wax with out leaving residue on the ski base surface. "AGENT ORANGE" is also 100% citrus extract, with emulsifiers added so it can be diluted with water for more economical use. You cannot buy a more efficient citrus base cleaner! 100% satisfaction guarantee. 8 oz/236ml w/sprayer. Packaging may vary.

DIRECTIONS!!
    AGENT ORANGE Citrus Base Cleaner dissolves wax, grease, and grime quickly and easily. For ski and snowboard bases, apply full strength-let cleaner soak for 1 minute and wipe with clean shop towel. For cleaning bicycle parts or shop tools and machinery, dilute 1:1 ratio.

Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Simple green.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Icy June sun cups do a good job of removing my wax.

Hot Scrape ftw.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Hot Scrape ftw.
    Yes, hot scrape unless it's serious spring pollen - then a citrus solvent like Citrasolve or Goo Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Simple green.
    I gota jug of that stuff, it's great on grease, great for cleaning bike chains in one of them rigs that go on the chain but does it remove wax and skin glue that has transfered to base?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I gota jug of that stuff, it's great on grease, great for cleaning bike chains in one of them rigs that go on the chain but does it remove wax and skin glue that has transfered to base?
    IMO its as good as the citrus cleaners but not as good as the nasty stuff. Most of the time my skin glue is skied off as is my wax when I'm getting jiggy with repairing the bases so I've never used it to remove a lot of gunk. In those cases I've used mineral oil (i.e., Johnsons baby oil) to remove skin glue, wax then follow up with either SG or the citrus depending on what I have at the moment.

Speaking of the moment, you can also lube up the lady in your life with the Johnsons later. You can't do that with Goo Gone or Goof off.

That SVST stuff is great stuff. Along with a hot scrape = clean enough to eat off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Hot Scrape ftw.
    What this guy says.

Iron on med/low over some fiberlene or a blue shop towel works pretty goof too. Less mess than the hot scrape.

does the base cleaner residue make a weak bond surface for new wax? do people wax without base cleaning of some sort?

obviously, it's condition dependent but i wax pretty much every time i ride if i do more than 10-15k vert at meadows/timberline which is always and i always use base cleaner mostly because of ever present volcanic dust getting ground into everything. i got the wax for hot scrape last year but my season ended before i got to use it. i try to use as little as possible of everything.

i can tell a huge difference and when other boarders are walking, i'm still gliding.

is this not reasonable waxing?

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    does the base cleaner residue make a weak bond surface for new wax? do people wax without base cleaning of some sort?

obviously, it's condition dependent but i wax pretty much every time i ride if i do more than 10-15k vert at meadows/timberline which is always and i always use base cleaner mostly because of ever present volcanic dust getting ground into everything. i got the wax for hot scrape last year but my season ended before i got to use it. i try to use as little as possible of everything.

i can tell a huge difference and when other boarders are walking, i'm still gliding.

is this not reasonable waxing?
    Mid-season, it's probably overkill, especially with this recent storm cycle. Early and especially late season - I'd wax every two or three days out. Two, if I'm schralpin' dirty snow or there's lots of visible dust on the snow.

what about road grime from the trip up and back? at 60mph that gets ground in, too, doesn't it?

if it's powder all day i just wipe everything down with a rag and maybe brush the base. if there's significant ice or dirt then the meter ticks.

if i could ride, i would probably be waxing less in the past month. enjoy it, dammit!

^^ If you use one of the water soluble cleaners an quick wipe with some water on a towel and drying should be enough. I've never had wax adherence problems after that.

I always hot scrape or use a commercial remover but I want to do a quick p-tex repair and I'm too impatient to order online and clearly a hot scrape defeats the purpose. Can I just spot clean the damaged area with mineral spirits and get a good p-tex repair?