Check Out Our Shop
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news

the SVX is essentially a lifted Disco stuffed with JLR’s supercharged, 518-hp 5.0-liter V-8 for additional roost-throwing mayhem.
    The 461-lb-ft monster engine, however, seems like excessive icing on a tasty cake; the real work went into the suspension. Land Rover’s Hydraulic Active Roll Control makes its Discovery debut on the SVX, offering increased wheel articulation. The company also claims that H-ARC improves body control both on and off road, increasing traction in the rough stuff and minimizing body roll on the highway. The lifted air suspension improves approach, departure, and breakover angles, making use of long-travel dampers and new knuckles.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    What you really want is an 80 series land cruiser. If only you could find a good one for sale....
    at this point aren't these things older than dirt?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yeah, just as reliable too.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Do you tow?

I loved my V8 4R. But when it was time to replace it, the V6 just wouldn't cut it, pulling stuff in the mountains.
    I plan on towing a camper (or hauling a truck camper) or snowmobile trailer. Currently own neither.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Yeah, just as reliable too.
    But does dirt wear out ?

Bumping this. Test driving a couple Tacomas this week. The local dealer has an '09 and a few '14s. How are the '09s in overall reliability and day to day use vs. the '14s? I'm willing to spend more on the '14 if it's worth it. Thanks.

My sense is that within those model years, mileage and maintenance is going to have more to do with reliability than model year.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Bumping this. Test driving a couple Tacomas this week. The local dealer has an '09 and a few '14s. How are the '09s in overall reliability and day to day use vs. the '14s? I'm willing to spend more on the '14 if it's worth it. Thanks.
    Love my 14
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Actually, I really want your LC80. However, the 2016 Trail Premium 4Runner sitting on 34x10.5R17 BFG's in the driveway has a monthly payment and the whole newer car thing going for it. Wish I could drive the LC.

In the spirit of this thread, I was torn between a pickup and the 4Runner I ended up with. I was looking at 1/2 ton trucks though, not something like a Taco. I occasionally ponder whether a truck would have made more sense for me, but without also investing in a shell, a truck would have been pretty useless to me. I also don't think I would have been quite as inclined to spend a week 4 wheeling in the San Juans this summer if I had an F-150 instead of a 4Runner.

I hardly ever have more than 1 passenger, so I completely removed the back seats from my 4Runner. The cargo space is pretty cavernous that way, and the rear seats weigh around 100 pounds. There are plenty of tie downs, but I would love to find a headache rack/cargo divider, such as what you see in cargo cans that I could install in my truck. Those side impact airbags complicate it substantially.
    Sweet truck congrats. Pictures please. I was looking at a low mileage black 2015 Trail at the local stealership last weekend on a Sunday. It was gone by Monday. They had it stickered more than a brand new one though. No idea what it might have sold for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    My sense is that within those model years, mileage and maintenance is going to have more to do with reliability than model year.
    this^^ a 09 is now 8 yrs old while a 14 is only 3 yrs old and you didnt mention the milage

I take exception to that " its a toyota " mantra ... IME shit still wears out on a Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I take exception to that " its a toyota " mantra ... IME shit still rusts out on a Toyota
    FIFY.
    One would have hoped that the steel quality would have improved with moving production from Japan to the Americas. Unfortunately we also lost the continuous improvement assembly line.

Toyota's looking at an aluminum body for the taco/4R.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Toyota's looking at an aluminum body for the taco/4R.
    Interesting. Do you remember where you read that by chance? It is the frames that rust though and they would still be steel but an alum 4R would be pretty cool.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 09-27-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Interesting. Do you remember where you read that by chance? It is the frames that rust though and they would still be steel but an alum 4R would be pretty cool.
    It's not published. I'm a supplier to the Aluminum industry and my biggest customers supply Ford. Toyota is qualifying them and negotiating contracts.

^Nice!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

2017 ford Expeditions are clearing out for the 18s

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    2017 ford Expeditions are clearing out for the 18s
    Or you could buy a 2012 and basically get the same rig.

2002 Taco

Bump. Looking at the Tacoma as a second car. SR or SR5 with Double Cab and 6' bed. Wasn't considering manual, but test drove one and it was surprisingly smooth. We own a 7 seater / mid-size SUV so long trips with gear are sorted.
    Never buy new cars but lately I can't find any used inventory. Some dealers listing 3 year old cars with 60,000 miles for more than new. Yes, the used cars are more tricked out than the SR5, but I don't care about the bells and whistles. Want heated seats which I can get (I think) after market and need decent awd. Want the bed for skis and bikes.
    Family of four. Tall. 6 and 8 year olds are growing. 6 year old will be a 3 in the NBA. I get that the backseat will be really tight really soon. I looked at the other small trucks and you can find a bit more room, but not enough to make it comfortable. We are aware of the Tundra. This thread claims the price is close. In my research it is not.
    1. Is this too much to ask of the truck given our family size? It will be frequently driven with only one kid, so the empty front passenger seat could move all the way forward. Plenty of legroom.
    2. I looked at Honda, Chevy, Ford. Eh. Am I missing something obvious?
    3. Should I just buy a station wagon and bike rack?
    We wouldn't mind the pickup for dump runs, house projects etc, but admit it is a bit of a vanity purchase. We do a lot of camping, and, by this thread's FS road standards, "off-roading" but I'm not planning on overlanding with this. Need it to handle rough, washed out roads and snow. Not much more. See this as a good purchase to hold some value. Wrong?

You can get a full sized half ton ram with eco diesel that would be better than the Tacoma. A crew cab Colorado/Canyon with baby duramax would be better too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Do you need a second vehicle, or is this strictly for truck stuff?

Are you planning on keeping it forever, or selling in a few years?

Toyotas cost a premium, but you get it back at resale, so if you're selling it reasonably soon, then you get that money back on the back end. If you're keeping it forever, then a half ton might be the ticket. Our '19 CrewMax Tundra had more leg room in the back than in the front even, and would definitely fit a 6'3 adult/teenager fairly comfortably. They are bigger than a Tundra, but feel smaller than the other half tons out there, IMO. Maybe 1 or 2 less MPG than the Tacoma

If you don't need a second car, you could certainly save a bunch of money just renting a trailer to drive to the dump, but life is short and everyone is going to die some day, so get the truck you want, and just say fuck it

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You can get a full sized half ton ram with eco diesel that would be better than the Tacoma. A crew cab Colorado/Canyon with baby duramax would be better too.
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Looking at the Colorado/Canyon now. Thanks. They discontinued the Eco Diesel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Do you need a second vehicle, or is this strictly for truck stuff?

Are you planning on keeping it forever, or selling in a few years?

Toyotas cost a premium, but you get it back at resale, so if you're selling it reasonably soon, then you get that money back on the back end. If you're keeping it forever, then a half ton might be the ticket. Our '19 CrewMax Tundra had more leg room in the back than in the front even, and would definitely fit a 6'3 adult/teenager fairly comfortably. They are bigger than a Tundra, but feel smaller than the other half tons out there, IMO. Maybe 1 or 2 less MPG than the Tacoma

If you don't need a second car, you could certainly save a bunch of money just renting a trailer to drive to the dump, but life is short and everyone is going to die some day, so get the truck you want, and just say fuck it
    We have a second car with $220K miles that the mechanic is saying is on its last legs. Electrical starting to go. Heat, AC and windows don't always work. Sometimes have to disconnect the battery for ten minutes to reset the electronics and stop the very loud "door is ajar" dinging even though the door is not ajar. Not the end of the world, but it's quickly turning into a Dad-only car. Preparing for the day it's not viable.
    As for resale, good point. I am planning on driving it into the ground so my resale value strategy is invalid. That switches the question to, Are Tacoma's worth the premium because they'll run longer than competition?
    CrewMax Tundras appear to be an extra $10K minimum over the Tacomas. More like $15K. Am I missing something? I am not saying they're not worth it. I am saying, we don't have the cash right now.
    Thanks for pointing out the Colorado/Canyon and the resale / forever debate. Really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    CrewMax Tundras appear to be an extra $10K minimum over the Tacomas. More like $15K. Am I missing something? I am not saying they're not worth it. I am saying, we don't have the cash right now.
    That sounds about right. I could see them coming down some now that the new Tundra update is in the wild, but who knows.

Before you pull the trigger on a 3rd gen tacoma, take it for a decent freeway/highway drive. They're pretty tin cany / tire & exhaust droney. Access cabs are worse than double.

And if you want the six speed manual, there's a known issue with the 3rd gear synco (that most dealers will deny). So drive it around a variety of slower roads with a lot of shifting from 2nd to 3rd. If it feels notchy or buzzy, that's only going to get worse.

As for resale, I just sold my 2019 access, long bed, manual for what I bought if for brand new, so there's that. (if this craziness lasts)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Before you pull the trigger on a 3rd gen tacoma, take it for a decent freeway/highway drive. They're pretty tin cany / tire & exhaust droney. Access cabs are worse than double.

And if you want the six speed manual, there's a known issue with the 3rd gear synco (that most dealers will deny). So drive it around a variety of slower roads with a lot of shifting from 2nd to 3rd. If it feels notchy or buzzy, that's only going to get worse.

As for resale, I just sold my 2019 access, long bed, manual for what I bought if for brand new, so there's that. (if this craziness lasts)
    Will keep an eye out for the manual transmission note. Not a lot of available stock, so unlikely to be an issue.
    It's conceivable, if the chip shortage persists, and there's no inventory on the lot, you could drive your new car for three years, sell it for ~cost, and purchase a new one and start over. Almost like a reverse lease. Salesman showed me the screen with all the vehicles in production and transit. They would not promise delivery dates to the week, but said they were not pissing off buyers by missing delivery by a month. If you had a beater or public transportation and patience, it's not a crazy way to reset your car stock. This presumes you live in a state where the dealers are keeping to the manufacturers' msrp. I know some aren't.
    Tl/dr: what's a used car worth? Whatever somebody's willing to pay for it. What's a new car worth? Whatever the manufacturer tells the dealer.