Check Out Our Shop
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Curious what you sold the f150 and taco for? I don't see many fords make it past 200000k/120000miles with out a lot of parts getting replaced. Only thing worse is the ram. I see a lot of next to new ones with serious problems. For American gmc is the only one I'd consider. Good power train. That little six banger is a great little engine. Only problems we have with those is the odd plastic bit. Other contractor company had fords and suspension, trani, and diffs were a crap shoot and the diesels never started in the cold. Cummins and gm's diesel no probs. chevys also hold their value. I prefer the piece of mind of the yota
    There is no peace of mind with anything. Like what? My buddies 2006' Tacoma w/ 67k on it with a completely rusted out frame and now they are buying back his truck TBD and he has had a rental car for the past two months because they aren't sure what to do wit hit yet (Colorado Springs). I sold that truck to him 3 years ago for $12,500 with 52k on it. He has ad to replace a/c compressor, power steering pump, and an instrument dash that went south. Now, the entire fucking frame. So, I don't even entertain this one brand is better than others BS excluding Lada. I sold my 2004' Ford F-150 FX-4 with 190k on it for $5k. I had $10k in it. This was in "good" condition, full ARE topper, full thule rack, I just did the 5.4 spark plugs + boots, new BFG KO2 A/T tires with 1k on them, complete 200k maintenance myself. I did a 2600 mile road trip in it from Colorado to Indiana to Jackson hole to Denver two weeks ago. I took a $5k hit because it blue books at $5k. It was fucking awesome and would've kept it but I drive too much to justify 15mpg and live downtown so parking was always a bitch.
    I have had
    Ford 7.3 diesel
    Ford F-150
    Chevy 6.5 diesel, Duramax diesel
    Dodge W250 Cummins, sold it with 330k on it
    Toyota Tacoma 2006 crew cab tsp
    Toyota Hilux x 2(lived in Europe for awhile)

The Ford F-150 was by far the least maintenance for the mileage. Like said, there is no GMC is shit, or Chevy sucks, it just depends on individual vehicle unless you buy a Ford Pinto
    Last edited by Tryingtostaywarm; 01-13-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    There is no peace of mind with anything. Like what? My buddies 2006' Tacoma w/ 67k on it with a completely rusted out frame and now they are buying back his truck TBD and he has had a rental car for the past two months because they aren't sure what to do wit hit yet (Colorado Springs). I sold that truck to him 3 years ago for $12,500 with 52k on it. He has ad to replace a/c compressor, power steering pump, and an instrument dash that went south. Now, the entire fucking frame. So, I don't even entertain this one brand is better than others BS excluding Lada. I sold my 2004' Ford F-150 FX-4 with 190k on it for $5k. I had $10k in it. This was in "good" condition, full ARE topper, full thule rack, I just did the 5.4 spark plugs + boots, new BFG KO2 A/T tires with 1k on them, complete 200k maintenance myself. I did a 2600 mile road trip in it from Colorado to Indiana to Jackson hole to Denver two weeks ago. I took a $5k hit because it blue books at $5k. It was fucking awesome and would've kept it but I drive too much to justify 15mpg and live downtown so parking was always a bitch.
    I have had
    Ford 7.3 diesel
    Ford F-150
    Chevy 6.5 diesel, Duramax diesel
    Dodge W250 Cummins, sold it with 330k on it
    Toyota Tacoma 2006 crew cab tsp
    Toyota Hilux x 2(lived in Europe for awhile)

The Ford F-150 was by far the least maintenance for the mileage. Like said, there is no GMC is shit, or Chevy sucks, it just depends on individual vehicle unless you buy a Ford Pinto
    Good comparison. You made it past 120k with the ford(point where I usually see a lot of maintenance), so that's good and they're ok to work on. Blue book does suck with those . That usually doesn't matter a lot to me. I run them into the ground. Yota has been cheap to run for me(I usually buy older than 6 yrs because yota). Older duramax needed some tweaks. Newer is good. Pre 09 cummins is solid. People like the 7.3. I guess I just see lots of ford problems and lots of yota with crazy big mileage. There's always duds. Just what I see. I work in highway maintenance so I see/use/abuse a lot of trucks. You've had some yotas and some miles on that cummins so I guess they've been relatively good.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Good comparison. You made it past 120k with the ford(point where I usually see a lot of maintenance), so that's good and they're ok to work on. Blue book does suck with those . That usually doesn't matter a lot to me. I run them into the ground. Yota has been cheap to run for me(I usually buy older than 6 yrs because yota). Older duramax needed some tweaks. Newer is good. Pre 09 cummins is solid. People like the 7.3. I guess I just see lots of ford problems and lots of yota with crazy big mileage. There's always duds. Just what I see. I work in highway maintenance so I see/use/abuse a lot of trucks. You've had some yotas and some miles on that cummins so I guess they've been relatively good.
    So, on all these trucks I had do some maintenance if you know what I mean. I don't think there is one vehicle out there that I've encountered that is going 100k with absolutely NOTHING. The Dodge W250 was falling apart around the motor, I replaced damn near everything and if I kept it I was going to have to rewire the entire truck because the wiring was falling apart. The 7.3 had about 195k on it, the 2006 Tacoma was a absolute dud. I would not hesitate to buy another Toyota product but just that truck came out of the factory wrong which is why I unloaded it to my friend for $4k below blue book value at the time(which he knew why). The F-150 had to have work done it but the only major thing was cam phasers. For a 200k vehicle, everything else run of the mill. Find a good deal, test drive it, and if you like it..buy it.

Ya I get teh beer goggles with new to me trucks so I kick the tires lots and go with what I know. My old 91 yota with purchase price used and all repairs was just over $1000/yr Canadian for the 13yrs I had it. I find it hard to look elsewhere. I wish the ridgeline had a standard size box. I hear a lot of good things on those and zero bad but then again not a lot of those out there . Talking to the tow truck guys(highwY vultures ) they where saying out of all the new vehicles they pick up off the highway most are Chrysler . Everyone has their bias so obviously take that w a grain o salt

ford ranger at 5 yrs 90,000kms is zero except for oil changes, replacing the rear brake pads and the sat radio going titsup on warranty

By comparison those 90 something Toys used to cost $$ for TB's, valve adjustments, front hub service, just about every one of the 3L V6's needed the head gasskettes replaced AND hopefully you got your s done on the exteneded warranty
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Bought mine when it was 10yrs old. Head gasket yes were done as soon as the warrantee became available way before I had it. I did some bearings, ball joints and brakes rad myself. 1000/yr included purchase price of $7900 Canadian. Talked to a lot of people with over 500k and some with much more. Sold mine at 300k. It's still going. If it didn't have as much rust as it had when I sold it I'd probably still have it. Rangers are popular around here too . I see people buy them then get another 5 yrs later. Cheap to get into those. I'm not into new. My current 08 tundra I picked up a couple yrs ago. Thing has some get up and go. 380hp compared to 145hp of the old v6 3.slow but it's also going to bump me up to 2g/yr range. Still chafed on that

Ive got a 2011 xterra pro4x I really like. bought a year ago with 85k, put on 10 this year. its got a gas lovin 4L engine, locking rear, rockford fostgate sound, tie downs and multiple storage compartments well placed. Made in tennessee. http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/...de-in-america/ the highway drive on brand new bfg allterrains is nice, pretty quiet, and I bought her with a set of studs for 16k. I only tow rafts and thats ez breezy over passes in montucky. time will tell the true value of this rig
    Last edited by rockcreek; 01-15-2017 at 01:53 PM.

How about a X5?

This is a great reply. Thanks! Ended up having to table the truck purchasing for a few weeks, but now have it narrowed down to doublcab long bed (maybe short for the right deal) tacoma.

Test drove a bunch of options today...and it was a good reminder to follow my gut instinct!

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    The "opinions are like assholes" saying goes double for trucks. There's some great experience to pull from, but there's a lot of brand and other bias to weed through. Every single "what truck" thread ever posted in the world has somebody saying that, if you're gonna buy mid-size, you might as well go full-size.

All I can say is, go drive them. Drive everything that interests you. Hell, I test drive cars when I have no intention of buying cause it's fun. It's a huge financial commitment, and to me, too important to rest on opinions and a quick look-over of a vehicle or two.

I test drove about everything that could be considered a truck, including some SUVs, fully intending to get an F150. I ended up with a CCLB Tacoma. For me, the "might as well go full-size" didn't pan out. The Tacoma feels appreciably smaller than full-size counterparts, I prefer the way it drives, and ultimately, it just excels at different things. For my needs, the bed is plenty big, it tows more than enough, and has more than enough power. And, there's plenty of room in the back for my kids. Obviously, YMMV.

As far as SUV vs Truck, for me, it was an easy decision. Despite liking the 4Runner the most out of the stuff I drove, it just didn't fit. I hate shit piled on the roof of my car and I don't want to rely on a trailer for hauling and I need to be able to tow a raft and/or a camper. With a topper, I have secure(ish) enclosed storage that I don't care about trashing. I have a place to keep bikes and skis, haul stuff, sleep, and to escape the prying eyes of my in-laws and their neighbors while I'm visiting them and want to burn one.

Bump just to say that I came across a 2010 Tundra with 69,000 miles for $21,000. Plus, they gave me as much for my trade in as I was (unsuccessfully) selling on private party.

TRD and lots of bells and whistles. For that price and that mileage I couldn't pass it up. And now I have enough left over for a nice camper...and a truck that can pull it!

Stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Bump just to say that I came across a 2010 Tundra with 69,000 miles for $21,000. Plus, they gave me as much for my trade in as I was (unsuccessfully) selling on private party.

TRD and lots of bells and whistles. For that price and that mileage I couldn't pass it up. And now I have enough left over for a nice camper...and a truck that can pull it!

Stoked!
    Wow, good deal, that's what I've been kinda looking for. You're stoked. Only problem is my old ass Tacoma just won't die.

Reviving this thread to ask: I'm currently debating between a crew cab Tacoma and a crew cab Chevy Colorado. Lots of Tacoma love out there; anybody have one of the new Colorados and like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    Reviving this thread to ask: I'm currently debating between a crew cab Tacoma and a crew cab Chevy Colorado. Lots of Tacoma love out there; anybody have one of the new Colorados and like it?
    Im in the same boat. Debating between V6 tacoma and diesel colorado / canyon.

sprinter van or a lesbaru
    watch out for snakes

4Runner/Tacoma alternatives?

I have a 2016 Colorado z71 V6 and highly recommend it. I have the extended (not crew) cab and it's fine for gear or a child under 5 but you are not getting 2 adults back there.

I have the 6'+ bed and recommend it if you really need a pickup truck. Get a spray liner.

The only other thing is the air damn below the front bumper. It apparently adds 1-2 mpg but lowers the clearance. If you don't care about mileage have the dealer remove it (it's apparently a pita to get off). I'm getting 21-22 mpg with the dam.

Can you get a kid's carseat in the back of the extended (not crew) cab?

Seems like the 6' bed is the answer; 5' looks tiny.

Sprinter sounds great aside from the fact that I'm stuck parallel parking for the foreseeable future. Subaru could work in a pinch, but I'd like to setup a sleeping platform.

I like the diesel Colorado on paper, but it's been hard to find one to test drive. I'm also on the fence about whether its worth the extra money. The other big factor seems to be resale value; the resale market on Tacomas out here (Denver) is nuts, and I'd be surprised if the Chevys hold their value the same way.

Buy the Tacoma.

It's been a long time since I had to slide a car seat in so I don't know the current set up for them baybeez.

I plan on driving my Colorado until it is essentially valueless so resale matters not to me. Keep in mind that the Taco is around $5k more than the 'rado so that effects re-sale as well.

The diesel 'rado is damn near impossible to find, so I gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Im in the same boat. Debating between V6 tacoma and diesel colorado / canyon.
    Do you tow?

I loved my V8 4R. But when it was time to replace it, the V6 just wouldn't cut it, pulling stuff in the mountains.

Don't do any towing at the moment, but might down the road. Going to try and get some test drives in in the next couple weeks.

What you really want is an 80 series land cruiser. If only you could find a good one for sale....
    sigless.

Escalade
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 629
Size:  112.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    What you really want is an 80 series land cruiser. If only you could find a good one for sale....
    Actually, I really want your LC80. However, the 2016 Trail Premium 4Runner sitting on 34x10.5R17 BFG's in the driveway has a monthly payment and the whole newer car thing going for it. Wish I could drive the LC.

In the spirit of this thread, I was torn between a pickup and the 4Runner I ended up with. I was looking at 1/2 ton trucks though, not something like a Taco. I occasionally ponder whether a truck would have made more sense for me, but without also investing in a shell, a truck would have been pretty useless to me. I also don't think I would have been quite as inclined to spend a week 4 wheeling in the San Juans this summer if I had an F-150 instead of a 4Runner.

I hardly ever have more than 1 passenger, so I completely removed the back seats from my 4Runner. The cargo space is pretty cavernous that way, and the rear seats weigh around 100 pounds. There are plenty of tie downs, but I would love to find a headache rack/cargo divider, such as what you see in cargo cans that I could install in my truck. Those side impact airbags complicate it substantially.

I think those newer 4runners are pretty close cargo wise to the 80s. I like the 4runners.

Oh, and the internet is worthless without pics... Post up.
    sigless.