Check Out Our Shop
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 347
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Sölden
    Posts
    422
    Go test drive whatever. There is no this is better or lasts longer etc. You'll see F-150's with the 5.4 that have 300k, and you'll see Taco's with 300k on them..same with the Tundra, or Frontier, or Ranger, or Landcruiser etc. I've had both a mid-2000's Tacoma and a F-150. I liked the F-150 better because A. it got the same gas mileage B. It had more room in the interior by far, and the bed was bigger. C. It had more comfy features + factory BOSE system which was tits. D. Comparing same years it was a good $3-5k cheaper than the Tacoma's because it isn't as cool here in Colorado. But, it was bigger therefore harder to work on, and harder to park. YMMV

    Then I sold both, and bought a Subaru Forester which I fucking love.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,875
    Man that rack turned out super sweet.

    You need a trailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    15,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    Go test drive whatever. There is no this is better or lasts longer etc. You'll see F-150's with the 5.4 that have 300k, and you'll see Taco's with 300k on them..same with the Tundra, or Frontier, or Ranger, or Landcruiser etc. I've had both a mid-2000's Tacoma and a F-150. I liked the F-150 better because A. it got the same gas mileage B. It had more room in the interior by far, and the bed was bigger. C. It had more comfy features + factory BOSE system which was tits. D. Comparing same years it was a good $3-5k cheaper than the Tacoma's because it isn't as cool here in Colorado. But, it was bigger therefore harder to work on, and harder to park. YMMV

    Then I sold both, and bought a Subaru Forester which I fucking love.
    Curious what you sold the f150 and taco for? I don't see many fords make it past 200000k/120000miles with out a lot of parts getting replaced. Only thing worse is the ram. I see a lot of next to new ones with serious problems. For American gmc is the only one I'd consider. Good power train. That little six banger is a great little engine. Only problems we have with those is the odd plastic bit. Other contractor company had fords and suspension, trani, and diffs were a crap shoot and the diesels never started in the cold. Cummins and gm's diesel no probs. chevys also hold their value. I prefer the piece of mind of the yota

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,048
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Man that rack turned out super sweet.

    You need a trailer.
    The rack's great. Not getting a trailer anytime soon other than our little utility trailer - we have the rack.

    Next thing for family mobility is some sort of elevated bike carrier that fits the hitch.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,875
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    The rack's great. Not getting a trailer anytime soon other than our little utility trailer - we have the rack.

    Next thing for family mobility is some sort of elevated bike carrier that fits the hitch.
    I have opinions. Feel free to email discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    10,250
    The "opinions are like assholes" saying goes double for trucks. There's some great experience to pull from, but there's a lot of brand and other bias to weed through. Every single "what truck" thread ever posted in the world has somebody saying that, if you're gonna buy mid-size, you might as well go full-size.

    All I can say is, go drive them. Drive everything that interests you. Hell, I test drive cars when I have no intention of buying cause it's fun. It's a huge financial commitment, and to me, too important to rest on opinions and a quick look-over of a vehicle or two.

    I test drove about everything that could be considered a truck, including some SUVs, fully intending to get an F150. I ended up with a CCLB Tacoma. For me, the "might as well go full-size" didn't pan out. The Tacoma feels appreciably smaller than full-size counterparts, I prefer the way it drives, and ultimately, it just excels at different things. For my needs, the bed is plenty big, it tows more than enough, and has more than enough power. And, there's plenty of room in the back for my kids. Obviously, YMMV.

    As far as SUV vs Truck, for me, it was an easy decision. Despite liking the 4Runner the most out of the stuff I drove, it just didn't fit. I hate shit piled on the roof of my car and I don't want to rely on a trailer for hauling and I need to be able to tow a raft and/or a camper. With a topper, I have secure(ish) enclosed storage that I don't care about trashing. I have a place to keep bikes and skis, haul stuff, sleep, and to escape the prying eyes of my in-laws and their neighbors while I'm visiting them and want to burn one.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    18,091
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    why do rental companies do that? I had coworkers get stranded two falls ago with a rental 4x4 truck in eastern nevada with a blown tire (shitty tires). many years ago, we trashed a bunch of ford escapes doing a full winter of field work in the sac delta mud. we rented them enough we essential paid for the SUVs. We strongly encouraged them to change from the HT tire to AT tires, but to no avail. we only got stuck a few times.
    Most companies' rental contracts explicitly forbid off-road driving, so it's not something you're supposed to be doing anyways. It's kind of ridiculous, but I suppose it's understandable considering how some people flog rentals.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland by way of Bozeman
    Posts
    4,279
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    The "opinions are like assholes" saying goes double for trucks. There's some great experience to pull from, but there's a lot of brand and other bias to weed through. Every single "what truck" thread ever posted in the world has somebody saying that, if you're gonna buy mid-size, you might as well go full-size.

    All I can say is, go drive them. Drive everything that interests you. Hell, I test drive cars when I have no intention of buying cause it's fun. It's a huge financial commitment, and to me, too important to rest on opinions and a quick look-over of a vehicle or two.
    This is the best advice in this thread. "Might as well go full size" is the primary reason why we, as 'Mericans only have the Tacoma, really, as a mid size truck, and it's now pretty bloated at that.

    I'll add one thing to the test driving (which is excellent advice, BTW), test drive everything back to back, the same day.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sierra Foothills
    Posts
    688
    Except for the 60K miles part, a first gen Tundra (2000 - 2006) might be an option. I just bought one, and think it's a great truck. Basically bigger than a taco, and smaller than the new Tundra, and comes with a 4.7L V8.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland by way of Bozeman
    Posts
    4,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Except for the 60K miles part, a first gen Tundra (2000 - 2006) might be an option. I just bought one, and think it's a great truck. Basically bigger than a taco, and smaller than the new Tundra, and comes with a 4.7L V8.
    Indeed. Terrific trucks. That drivetrain will go forever. Mileage really shouldn't be an issue. A buyer should be more concerned about ancillary stuff, which, if the buyer is worth his or her salt, it should be fine.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    9,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Indeed. Terrific trucks. That drivetrain will go forever. Mileage really shouldn't be an issue. A buyer should be more concerned about ancillary stuff, which, if the buyer is worth his or her salt, it should be fine.
    Shooting from the hip here but the new Taco has to be pretty comparably sized to the old Tundra. I have coworkers with both and they look like the same sized truck.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland by way of Bozeman
    Posts
    4,279
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Shooting from the hip here but the new Taco has to be pretty comparably sized to the old Tundra. I have coworkers with both and they look like the same sized truck.
    You're likely correct. It's not like we're in an age where trucks are getting smaller.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    49,306

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland by way of Bozeman
    Posts
    4,279
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Needs a winch.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    A fucking Wrangler? Gimme a break.
    QFT. Had a 2007 2dr Wrangler that was riddled with electrical issues. Traded it in for an 2013 F150 crew cab with the "ecoboost". I get better milage in my truck, and even spent 5 months road tripping in it with Mrs. Spank (got a topper and built a sleeping platform). I'm at 90k now and haven't had any issues yet. Couldn't say the same with my Jeep which apparently the dealer ended up replacing the entire electrical system in order to sell it.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Posts
    11,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Except for the 60K miles part, a first gen Tundra (2000 - 2006) might be an option. I just bought one, and think it's a great truck. Basically bigger than a taco, and smaller than the new Tundra, and comes with a 4.7L V8.
    Had a 2001 Tundra that was awesome. Outside dimensions are similar to the new Tacos, but I think they are bigger inside. Those 4.7s are bomber, but there are a few maintenance things you want to make sure were done. Timing belts, etc. IMine got a small crack in the header that would make a ticking noise when the engine was cold, which is apparently a pretty common problem.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    35,630
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That thing is great, but whats up with those rear windows? Are they wire mesh for keeping chickens or insane asylum patients inside?
    I still call it The Jake.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland by way of Bozeman
    Posts
    4,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    Had a 2001 Tundra that was awesome. Outside dimensions are similar to the new Tacos, but I think they are bigger inside. Those 4.7s are bomber, but there are a few maintenance things you want to make sure were done. Timing belts, etc. IMine got a small crack in the header that would make a ticking noise when the engine was cold, which is apparently a pretty common problem.
    My Land Cruiser had the same. It had no affect on the performance or anything, for that matter. I just let it go.

    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    That thing is great, but whats up with those rear windows? Are they wire mesh for keeping chickens or insane asylum patients inside?
    It's where you put the dead hookers.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    35,630
    I bet they stack nicely in there.
    I still call it The Jake.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    49,306
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    That thing is great, but whats up with those rear windows? Are they wire mesh for keeping chickens or insane asylum patients inside?
    Here's more on it: http://bringatrailer.com/2008/09/03/...agon-projects/

    I kinda like the other one more. I wonder what became of them.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    35,630
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Here's more on it: http://bringatrailer.com/2008/09/03/...agon-projects/

    I kinda like the other one more. I wonder what became of them.
    Pretty cool! I see it mentions jailhouse truck as a possibility for the dark green one, so my looney bin transporter guess wasn't too far off after all. (maybe )

    Either way, much more character than a Tacoma.
    I still call it The Jake.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    33,581
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    looney bin transporter.
    If it still has the padding belongs in the sleeping in cars thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sierra Foothills
    Posts
    688
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Shooting from the hip here but the new Taco has to be pretty comparably sized to the old Tundra. I have coworkers with both and they look like the same sized truck.
    I don't disagree, but as stated earlier, I think the inside is slightly roomier. Also, mine has a split bench seat, which I really like. Lastly, not going to get a new taco for less than 25K.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    31,320
    I was looking at the thread titles and thinking my buddy pointed out that BC skiers all drive toyotas and the parking lot is spotless after a season while the sledders drive large american trucks and the p-lot is always full of garbage

    TGR is always about the same shit, toyota tacoma/highlander/ tundra , IPA, red wine yada yada

    So somewhere there must be a forum where they are talking about which big diesel, where to get flats of Budweiser cheap, the best garbage to thro around the p-lot
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    35,630
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    If it still has the padding belongs in the sleeping in cars thread?
    It might be worth a cross post.

    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I was looking at the thread titles and thinking my buddy pointed out that BC skiers all drive toyotas and the parking lot is spotless after a season while the sledders drive large american trucks and the p-lot is always full of garbage

    TGR is always about the same shit, toyota tacoma/highlander/ tundra , IPA, red wine yada yada

    So somewhere there must be a forum where they are talking about which big diesel, where to get flats of Budweiser cheap, the best garbage to thro around the p-lot
    I think you mean it's all about EuroSpecAudiRS6Avant6MTwithaBoxes and fine bourbons around here. If you're looking for the big diesel and garbage discussions I'd either PM Blurred or Greg from AZ.
    I still call it The Jake.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •