Check Out Our Shop
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 347
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    15,766
    Stick with the taco. I like my tundra but it's a bit big and I could do without all the electronics and automatic. Electronics work fine but more to go wrong and it wears out batteries. If I could chose I'd keep the leather heated seats, go standard(saves brakes), no carpeting,roll up windows fuel/battery/heat/oil/speed gauge and a bunch of outlets with a big alternator . I'll pick my electronics and plug them in. Taco just hits all the marks. 4 door long box is a lot of truck.New Honda Ridgeline is probably an option if you're hauling under 5000lbs and don't mind a short box. 280hp. Both based on dependability. Last series of ridgelines sipped fuel, not sure on the new ones

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    5,867
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. Around me, where the Tahoe is the official minivan, they hold their value really well.

    I just did a quick cars.com search for Tahoes 50 miles around me for $25k and under. I got 75 results. Closest one to his price ceiling of $25k and desired mileage was a 65k mile example with one accident.

    Every other one in the price range clocked in around 95k-110k+ miles.
    Markets vary. In my area (southern CA) if you search for Tahoe/Yukon, under 60k mi, under $25k, you get a dozen results of vehicles in good condition. Mostly 08 09s around $22k. It is worth the OP searching.

    In this area to get a Landcruiser for under $25k you have to go up to 120k mi.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland by way of Bozeman
    Posts
    4,279
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

    In this area to get a Landcruiser for under $25k you have to go up to 120k mi.
    I've been casually watching the market because I still pine for the one I sold. I think that's going to be the case no matter your location. Not many were made, especially when stacked against T4R and Sequoia numbers and owners to keep them longer. Mileage really doesn't matter with these things. They are truly bullet proof.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    7,418
    I sold my 4Runner three years ago and bought a 2004 Chevy Tahoe with 120,000 miles for $8,500. Great car, no problems so far and it's up over 180,000. We tow our raft and a pop-up camper all over the place. Has a third row which is good for carpooling or whatever. I don't like the look of the newer models as much as the mid-2000s ones, but when I eventually need to replace this one I think I'll stick with a Tahoe. Super solid as a 4WD rig too.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in a suite of vigorous disturbances
    Posts
    2,282
    Thanks for all the replies.

    Im not concerned with needing a full size/tundra for my towing needs. It's a little camper and a littler raft trailer (14' boat on a 10' trailer). Our Highlander tows both of them. Maybe not with a lot of balls, but it hasn't been an issue. Thinking the bigger v6 in either the taco or 4R will be an improvement.

    I'd love a Landcruiser, but they are out of my budget.

    I had a double cab tundra right after my Tacoma, and always felt like I was driving a boat. Definitely have always missed that little truck (1998 4-banger).

    F150 is definitely on the list. Dare I consider an Explorer too?

    Will look at the Tahoe too.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. Around me, where the Tahoe is the official minivan, they hold their value really well.

    I just did a quick cars.com search for Tahoes 50 miles around me for $25k and under. I got 75 results. Closest one to his price ceiling of $25k and desired mileage was a 65k mile example with one accident.

    Every other one in the price range clocked in around 95k-110k+ miles.
    Ha, I bought a 4wd 07 Tahoe w 80k miles for $11,400 in June 2011. I've put 50k on it and have done tires, brakes and maybe $300 on front end work. Bulletproof. Could prob sell it for 10k after 5.5 years. I kinda hope gas goes back above $3.50 so I can pick up a newer landyacht on the cheap.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland by way of Bozeman
    Posts
    4,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post

    I'd love a Landcruiser, but they are out of my budget.

    F150 is definitely on the list. Dare I consider an Explorer too?

    Will look at the Tahoe too.
    RE: Land Cruiser; you'll need to look at higher miles, but again - not an issue.
    If you think the Tundra was a boat, I think you'll get the same with the F-150. Still, take it for a spin. Terrific engine, that EcoBoost.

    Check the tow ratings on the new Exploder. Neat rig, but a FWD-based, non-body-on-frame SUV, like those of old. You can get an EcoBoost in that, too, so that's a plus.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    35,623
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Markets vary. In my area (southern CA) if you search for Tahoe/Yukon, under 60k mi, under $25k, you get a dozen results of vehicles in good condition. Mostly 08 09s around $22k. It is worth the OP searching.

    In this area to get a Landcruiser for under $25k you have to go up to 120k mi.
    Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    Ha, I bought a 4wd 07 Tahoe w 80k miles for $11,400 in June 2011. I've put 50k on it and have done tires, brakes and maybe $300 on front end work. Bulletproof. Could prob sell it for 10k after 5.5 years. I kinda hope gas goes back above $3.50 so I can pick up a newer landyacht on the cheap.
    Yep, markets vary. Like I said, here in ATL people don't buy minivans. They buy Tahoes. Was helping a buddy of mine look for one and it took a long time to fit into not that much higher parameters than the OP's. I think southern car + space + relative high demand + pretty bulletproof = great resale value apparently.
    I still call it The Jake.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,256
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Yep, markets vary. Like I said, here in ATL people don't buy minivans. They buy Tahoes. Was helping a buddy of mine look for one and it took a long time to fit into not that much higher parameters than the OP's. I think southern car + space + relative high demand + pretty bulletproof = great resale value apparently.
    Why the hell wouldn't you buy a minivan in your neck of the woods? You sure as shit don't need the clearance or low range 4x4.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    4,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Why the hell wouldn't you buy a minivan in your neck of the woods? You sure as shit don't need the clearance or low range 4x4.
    minivans don't look cool with 22's

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    35,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Why the hell wouldn't you buy a minivan in your neck of the woods? You sure as shit don't need the clearance or low range 4x4.
    You tell me. People here hate minivans and once they have one kid it's a green light to get that first Tahoe. Then again lots of people own/tow boats, have mountain and beach houses outside town, and generally haul a bunch of shit, so who am I to judge.

    That said, although we have an older LX470 our largest daily driver is my wifes XC70 which, while plenty big, is routinely dwarfed by the sea of RR's, LC's, Suburbans and Tahoes in town.

    Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    minivans don't look cool with 22's
    Wrong part of ATL. That's about 20 mins south of the city. Conditions vary.
    I still call it The Jake.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    31,314
    the entire purpose of the SUV is to distance oneself from the whole mini-van culture eh?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    35,623
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the entire purpose of the SUV is to distance oneself from the whole mini-van culture eh?
    As much as possible.

    I've described the Honda Odyssey effect in another thread - don't remember which, but trust me, they are dire. Imagine former cornfield cum subdivisions and a newfound sense of smugness towards other parents who chose to live life in the city.
    I still call it The Jake.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    805
    I'm always loading up shit in the Tahoe that won't fit in a wrangler/car. I would have preferred the new Tahoe have gone with independent rear suspension so fold flat seats would have happened. Don't love their design back there.

    Plus, if I'm gonna get in a wreck, I'll take the Tahoe all day.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,256
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    As much as possible.

    I've described the Honda Odyssey effect in another thread - don't remember which, but trust me, they are dire. Imagine former cornfield cum subdivisions and a newfound sense of smugness towards other parents who chose to live life in the city.
    Cum subdivisions?

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    35,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Cum subdivisions?
    Latin.

    I think the word of the day etymology is affecting me.
    I still call it The Jake.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,256
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Latin.
    I guess those hispanics gotta spank it, too.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,948
    I switched from a Tacoma to a Jeep Wrangler 2 Door and bought a little utility trailer. Does everything a taco would do, is way more fun, your family will love it, and I'm getting 2mpg better than a taco to boot.

    Get a 4 door with your family and a dog. Utility trailer for like a g. You'll come out 5-10k ahead of the taco price wise if buying new.

    Highway cruising is not its forte, but since we are talking about Colorado won't you be in traffic until the trailhead anyways? Plus not daily driver makes a Jeep even better.
    Live Free or Die

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,750
    A fucking Wrangler? Gimme a break.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    35,623
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    A fucking Wrangler? Gimme a break.
    Seriously. Buy the 911.
    I still call it The Jake.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in a suite of vigorous disturbances
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post

    Highway cruising is not its forte, but since we are talking about Colorado won't you be in traffic until the trailhead anyways? Plus not daily driver makes a Jeep even better.
    Haha. Durango ain't Denver or I-70. We don't have highways. Nor do we have traffic.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    18,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    I had a double cab tundra right after my Tacoma, and always felt like I was driving a boat.
    Well, yeah. You're going to have to accept that lots of space for kids, furkids and toys is going to come at the expense of nimbleness and off-road capability. I drove a couple thousand miles in rented crew cab/long bed 2016 F150s last year for work and thought they drove pretty well. They won't win any turn radius contests, but I didn't hate driving them. That included about 50 offroad miles getting to some old mines in the Mojave, but I drove those very gingerly since the rental companies put huge rims and low-pro tires on them.

    On further consideration, I would at least try and drive a crew/longbed Tacoma. That may come as close as you'll get to the best of both worlds. Though, your mileage and price points may be hard to hit.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    4,633
    +1

    FWIW, my impression of the Tundra was that it drove more like a boat than the new domestics. Older model Tundra handles much better. Both Ram 1500 and F150 have relatively quick, balanced handling. Unless size is a priority, there just doesn't seem to be any value in choosing midsize over fullsize.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I drove a couple thousand miles in rented crew cab/long bed 2016 F150s last year for work and thought they drove pretty well. They won't win any turn radius contests, but I didn't hate driving them. That included about 50 offroad miles getting to some old mines in the Mojave, but I drove those very gingerly since the rental companies put huge rims and low-pro tires on them.
    why do rental companies do that? I had coworkers get stranded two falls ago with a rental 4x4 truck in eastern nevada with a blown tire (shitty tires). many years ago, we trashed a bunch of ford escapes doing a full winter of field work in the sac delta mud. we rented them enough we essential paid for the SUVs. We strongly encouraged them to change from the HT tire to AT tires, but to no avail. we only got stuck a few times.

    OP, have you sat in a 4 door taco, tundra, F150, etc.? when i was figuring out my shit two years ago, i checked out the used frontier and tacos (budget $15k or less) and decided that there was no way my kids would be able to sit for extended periods in the back seat (e.g. road trips), especially when they become near adult height. i have three kids, but i thought it'd be a tough fit for extended sitting for even two growing kids, too. the dog would always be in the bed. i've heard similar complaints for the tundra with the suicide doors.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,048
    Shameless: Land crusher packed for a family trip. I made a little platform for the dog. We also keep a long and skinny Thule box on the rack. The roof is kinda a shit show

    With boat (I usually use 4lo to access the little food paddling lake near me because it's a steep, creepy, and slow road.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •