Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why Denver?

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    There is no MLB team in Denver, that's why the tickets are so cheap.
    Pretty great MLB stadium though.

They must've bailed pretty quickly after going to the World Series

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Pretty great MLB stadium though.
    True...that's how they justify charging $15 to park and $8 for a beer, if that's what you consider beer
    The Sheriff is near!

True...that's how they justify charging $15 to park and $8 for a beer, if that's what you consider beer
    Just don't drink the Coors and have a microbrew there.

I hear Denver is a great place to live. More people (from Seattle) should move there.

Maybe Amazon could relocate.

Moved here last year. It's pretty close to the mountains and has some decent colleges. The job market is also growing.

The major metro area I live in has damn near everything better except it doesn't get as much sun during winter and spring.

That said, if I didn't live here, I would likely be living in the greater Denver area as it is an awesome place from everything ive heard, seen, and experienced.

Come on, you should know better on the parking... there are tons of options for less than $15. My secret stash? The parking garage at 18th and Blake (next to the bum-riddled 7-11), just two blocks down from Coors Field: $8 if you get in after 5pm.

I left Denver last year, and returned to upstate NY (where I grew up). I miss Denver all the time, and honestly, most of the typical complaints can be avoided. I used to get to A Basin in 1:10-15 pretty much every weekend, because I left early enough..maybe did a pass lap on the way, or instead would go fish the Blue a couple hours in the morning before skiing.

A point that most people on here don't mention: the access to fishing in the Denver is top notch. I took it for granted that I could wake up, drive an hour, go catch a couple 20-inch rainbows sight-fishing in the Blue River, then go ski untracked East Wall lines at Abasin, then go back to Denver and put my shorts on by 3PM...and that's just in the winter I don't know a lot of places where you can do that.

So...I miss it...I think about moving back frequently, though my friends tell me it just keeps getting more and more crowded.

The Rooftop bar has a great selection of local craft brew, $6/beer before first pitch (cheaper than most bars) and $8 during the game.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

That rooftop ballpark bar is quite the scene. Lots of great ass.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I hear Denver is a great place to live. More people (from Seattle) should move there.

Maybe Amazon could relocate.
    It's too sunny for Seattlelites. I hear it's way better there.

Protip:

Park for free and take the lightrail.

Buy 8$ rockpile tickets (which sometimes even include a 10$ food and drink voucher, wtf????)

Use that voucher and stand at the party deck to watch the game and all the ass

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    Protip:

Park for free and take the lightrail.

Buy 8$ rockpile tickets (which sometimes even include a 10$ food and drink voucher, wtf????)

Use that voucher and stand at the party deck to watch the game and all the ass
    I've done it every which way.

When I lived in Denver I had free parking and season tickets. The team sucked so bad I didn't want to go and neither did my customers or anyone else so I couldn't give the tickets away and finally I said fuck it.

If you go you're paying MLB prices to support what is nothing more than a glorified AAA team. No thanks.

Denver's pretty cool otherwise though...I enjoyed my time there and still miss some things. Shitty baseball isn't one of them.
    The Sheriff is near!

Shitty baseball
    This is redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    This is redundant.
    True and I'm pretty sure we already have an MLB thread so I'll move on.
    The Sheriff is near!

I think they are entertaining games. 18-15 score games tend to keep your attention...for when you are not looking at nice ass of course.
    It's no ASU mind you, but it'll do pig, it'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    I think they are entertaining games. 18-15 score games tend to keep your attention...for when you are not looking at nice ass of course.
    It's no ASU mind you, but it'll do pig, it'll do.
    Ugh. In person, I'd much rather see 4-2 than 18-15. The 4 hour slug fest gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Ugh. In person, I'd much rather see 4-2 than 18-15. The 4 hour slug fest gets old.
    That's what the real games on tv are for.

This is redundant.
    This is redundant.
    This is redundant.
    This is redundant.
    This is redundant.
    This is redundant.

hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Your numbers don't correspond to my life. So lets try another anecdote and pretend its everyone's Denver reality.

Its 20min from my house in Denver proper to multiple trails in Golden. Maybe not at rush hour, but at most any other time before 5:00pm. In most big metros it would be the same amount of time and I wouldn't have anything approaching the quality of Apex.

I spent the last 3 years driving to-from loveland with about an 1hr average. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. 3 days in 3 years of over 1.5hrs.

Thats fucking Centennial, it has nothing to do with Denver.

Guess I didn't buy a house last year while making sig <$100k. Yes it is a small, simple place.. Yes I could've gotten more for my money elsewhere. I still have a nice home, a yard, a garage (which is just for skis and bikes), a neighborhood park and tons of adorable families around me.

You can revel in the outdoors without wanting to be "core". The outdoors is just one important part of my life.

I drive <4hrs a week on average. During ski season its more like 3 unless I'm going on a ski trip besides my local BC haunts and Loveland. During summer I like going to further out places for adventuring.

Go fuck yourself.

Irrelevant for a post on TGR i expect.

Denver isn't some magical panacea. Its compromises. I bike to work. I live a relatively un-lavish lifestyle except for my outdoors pursuits. I wake up early. I sleep in a van on weekends a lot.

Last weekend I skied a full day with my crew -- 1.25hr drive each way. It was my weekend to drive, but I won't have to drive the next 3. Then I rode my bike to the symphony on Saturday night, stopping at a brewery on the way. On Sunday I skied untouched knee deep BC laps with a buddy of mine. Didn't even wake up until 8am that day. Drive home was long at 1.5hrs. Yesterday I drank beer on my patio in 60-degree weather.

There are maybe 2 or 3 other metros in the US that I could've had such a weekend.
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    <snip> You recent transplants are killing the vibe.

What happened to the old tried and true "move-to-Colorado-then-tell-everyone-it-sucks" method?

I mean, it didn't work terribly well, but...

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Come on, you should know better on the parking... there are tons of options for less than $15. My secret stash? The parking garage at 18th and Blake (next to the bum-riddled 7-11), just two blocks down from Coors Field: $8 if you get in after 5pm.
    People still drive to downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    People still drive to downtown?
    Unfortunately, RTD fucked up light rail so bad that it's not coming anywhere near the north side of town for another 20 years. Westminster doesn't count.