Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20
    Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    So a CAST boot mod would enable someone to use that if this is true.

Interesting. Truly a quiver-of-one binding, if it has the durability.
    I will be most fascinated to see if the rumors I've heard are true. That said I'm very happy with the tecton and now that I'm going to be switching to a one quiver boot I don't really have a need for the Salomon wonder weapon. Any year before this year I would have replaced all my bindings
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I will be most fascinated to see if the rumors I've heard are true. That said I'm very happy with the tecton and now that I'm going to be switching to a one quiver boot I don't really have a need for the Salomon wonder weapon. Any year before this year I would have replaced all my bindings
    I'd be shocked if this binding really was a quiver of one though. I don't see how, given that it is likely made of plastic, it will stand up to abuse and ski as well as a CAST-FKS setup.

The plastic part is what worries me most.

Yeah, just because it'll fit alpine boots doesn't mean I'll want to ski it in the resort...

Innovation is good though

Huh?
    I don’t see all the plastic STH’s and Wardens exploding every time they get skied inbounds with an alpine boot.
    Will wait till I see it but seems Salomon makes more than a few “plastic” alpine bindings that many of us are happy to ski on regularly.

I've heard that the new Salomon/Atomic binding will weigh approx 900gr. Too heavy for pure touring, but hopefully beefy enough to make it a good travel/quiver of one binding.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Huh?
    I don’t see all the plastic STH’s and Wardens exploding every time they get skied inbounds with an alpine boot.
    Will wait till I see it but seems Salomon makes more than a few “plastic” alpine bindings that many of us are happy to ski on regularly.
    I don't think the plastic STH's and Wardens have the same # of small moving pieces that are likely on the new binding and could be points of failure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	880836_1600w_1600h.jpeg 
Views:	222 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	217517

I'm no engineer, I'm just speculating here FWIW but it seems to me that the heel clamping part of the binding is plastic as are the toe wings. I haven't skied a binding with plastic there in years. The last time I did it was the Atomic 412s (which ironically had a recall due to parts breaking)

I don't think the plastic STH's and Wardens have the same # of small moving pieces that are likely on the new binding and could be points of failure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	880836_1600w_1600h.jpeg 
Views:	222 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	217517

I'm no engineer, I'm just speculating here FWIW but it seems to me that the heel clamping part of the binding is plastic as are the toe wings. I haven't skied a binding with plastic there in years. The last time I did it was the Atomic 412s (which ironically had a recall due to parts breaking)
    TOE:
    A little hard to tell what is going on there... I assume there are pins on the wings that are accessible for tech boots when the lip folds forward. Definitely see the adjustable sliding AFD.

HEEL:
    Definitely a cup heel (not backland/tlt compatible).
    I'm assuming mode shifting will be like the Tecton.
    I'm not seeing heel elevation.

As far as non-metal cup heels in the AT world, Fritchi made them for years with great results, and that is seen in the Tecton now. Naxos were troubled, but that is history (I broke plenty of those). Fritchis and Naxos have utilized plastic toe wings with good effect.

I've sheared metal Dynafit heel pins.

That binding has a ton of material. I'm not seeing how it is going to approach Tecton weight or improve on Tecton elasticity/performance. I predict vs a Tecton it allow you ski your alpine boot for lift served at the cost of weight, elevators, and cost.

/talking out of my rear

Looks like a flip-up heel elevator in front of the brake pedal.

Lots of unfounded premature speculation based on a picture of unknown provenance I reckon. But that's the way we do things around here.

For my part I hope that early December announcement (or planned leak) is accurate. Might inform, clarify or just confuse decision whether to jump on the tecton kingpin train or not.

Toe looks like ntn type system. I don’t see how that works for current boots , in walk mode

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Those always suck

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    I figured that was for locking the brakes up

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Lots of unfounded premature speculation based on a picture of unknown provenance I reckon. But that's the way we do things around here.

For my part I hope that early December announcement (or planned leak) is accurate. Might inform, clarify or just confuse decision whether to jump on the tecton kingpin train or not.
    I think it's going to be geared towards a different crowd than the Kingpin will in the end.

I think we're going to see the touring segment of the industry split into three groups within the next year and a half or so:

1. Traditional pin (Dynafit, G3, etc.) meant for longer approaches and lighter weights.
    2. Charging tech bindings (Kingpin, Vipec, Beast, etc.) which are again meant for longer approaches but have more consequential lines/airs
    3. Do-It-All bindings (CAST, this new binding, Tecton, etc.) that was formerly for frame bindings.

Segment 2 may die out as it gets cannibalized by 1 and 3 but I do think there is a small market there. I imagine people doing multi-day more intense routes will want a more stable binding.

But that's just my thought.

I think it's going to be geared towards a different crowd than the Kingpin will in the end.

I think we're going to see the touring segment of the industry split into three groups within the next year and a half or so:

1. Traditional pin (Dynafit, G3, etc.) meant for longer approaches and lighter weights. Vipec belongs here based on weight.
    2. Charging tech bindings (Kingpin, Vipec, Beast, etc.) which are again meant for longer approaches but have more consequential lines/airs
    3. Do-It-All bindings (CAST, this new binding, Tecton, etc.) that was formerly for frame bindings.

Segment 2 may die out as it gets cannibalized by 1 and 3 but I do think there is a small market there. I imagine people doing multi-day more intense routes will want a more stable binding.

But that's just my thought.
    I generally agree with your conclusion. Here are my tweaks to your thought:

1. Superlight bindings - Salomon, Dynafit, Plum, Hagan, Atomic, Ski Trab everyone has something here

2. General purpose touring bindings: BD Vipec vs everyone (G3 Ion 10/12, Plum Wepa/Guide, and Dynafit Turn, Rotation, and Radical 2)
    The Vipec wins in 2/3 categories (price, weight, performance) vs each binding (and matches whatever it doesn't beat). I don't think those bindings will continue to sell competitively. The Vipec may hold out as a tour focused general purpose binding that lets riders rock their TLT/Backland on the same skis they use their XTD/Mercury on. Or the Tecton kills off the Vipec and everything else in this class as you predicted.

3. Only-Binding-You-Need: The Tecton would probably have meant the death of Kingpin if it weren't killed-by-lawsuit. I think the Plum Yak M still can compete here. The Beast died at the hands of the Kingpin. TR2 was DOA. But there is a lot of marketspace above the Tecton where the Salomon can exploit with this new binding for those with boot quivers. CAST remains the specialty go-to for gnar. Frame bindings continue to exist for those who want to tour in non-tech boots without using CAST.

Taken from IG. Looks like a Full Tilt proto with tech fittings? I know it's been discussed for a while now but here it is.

Quote Originally Posted by AyoBeng View Post
    Taken from IG. Looks like a Full Tilt proto with tech fittings? I know it's been discussed for a while now but here it is.
    ^ they have been out for a while... I was asked not to post a pic, but I’ve seen em skied hard.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdX5-Xvh...salomonfreeski

Switch with what looks like a Ghost w/ tech fittings?

Shouldn't these be in the 18/19 thread?
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Shouldn't these be in the 18/19 thread?
    I think people (me included) are too lazy to start a new thread every year.

IDK if a mod checks this thread at all, but they could just rename it the official gear rumor thread

I think people (me included) are too lazy to start a new thread every year.

IDK if a mod checks this thread at all, but they could just rename it the official gear rumor thread
    I think there was one started but like you, too lazy to look. And quite frankly...have you ever seen a forum software that had a good search feature?

Found it.... https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ghlight=rumors Maybe the mods can move the applicable posts to the 18/19 thread.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Some eyes you have.
    bumps are for poor people

The old Ghost Max models were all able to take Salomon tech/WTR soles.

Gear rumors 17/18

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    ^ they have been out for a while... I was asked not to post a pic, but I’ve seen em skied hard.
    Which shell are they? Assuming they’re a variation on an existing set of molds, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Which shell are they? Assuming they’re a variation on an existing set of molds, that is.
    Did some digging and answered my own question. Looks like they're on the newer Evolution shell from the Descendant, which is a bummer in my mind. I still love the fit of the original Raichle shells.