Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    evdog > I usually buy a bunch of Sram or KMC quicklinks all at once when a new standard comes out. I find the KMC ones are easier to open up out on the trail. But I keep 1 or 2 extra in my pack so it's not that big a deal. One of my chains has 3 quicklinks on it!!

ghosthop > You've probably found, as we have, that most suspension just isn't designed for lighter riders. Most forks won't extend to full travel for mrs jm2e because of a combination of bad negative spring design and stiction. That's how she ended up switching from the HSC/LSC to the FIT4 for her fork. Despite Fox telling her it shouldn't make a difference, it's made a huge difference on all both of the Float 36s she's got. With the X2, she was blowing through travel super easily. Adding spacers wasn't really doing it, and it was farking up the ride. In the end, she went with dialed up HSC, fewer air spacers, less sag and it's working great. She's got a Monarch Plus on her other trail bike, and that used to be the one she prefered. Now she's got the X2 dialed in and wishes the Monarch Plus had more adjustability since she can't quite get it as good as the X2.

beaterdit > I would have no problem saying to a friend or stranger: "I have a $25 tube you can buy from me".
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

beaterdit > I would have no problem saying to a friend or stranger: "I have a $25 tube you can buy from me".
    Hahaha sure, but I don't sell tubes on the trail. Friends will get me back, strangers well, trail karma.

Come on new bike!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tracerc-Elite-red-side.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	680.9 KB 
ID:	203049
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Thanks, I'll have to give the KMC quicklinks a try. The 10sp SRAM links are not meant to be reusable, which is why they are so hard to open up. But I am too cheap not to reuse them. So I have the link tool in my truck. One of my bikes has 3 quicklinks on it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Hahaha sure, but I don't sell tubes on the trail. Friends will get me back, strangers well, trail karma.

Come on new bike!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tracerc-Elite-red-side.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	680.9 KB 
ID:	203049

Good luck.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/463858
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Holy shit hahaha! That's the one I have now, the old one. No issues here and regularly ridden to it's limits. Hopefully the new one won't break in half!

regularly ridden to it's limits.

Well.

Obviously not.

Just be careful man. We worry about you.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Best comment:
    "That's Intense..."
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Holy shit hahaha! That's the one I have now, the old one. No issues here and regularly ridden to it's limits. Hopefully the new one won't break in half!
    Let's be honest, the old bike wasn't the thing that was consistently getting broken.......

sick bike beaterdit! those look rad. i picked up a yeti 55 a few months ago (which is also rad) but the lust is strong for that new tracer. let us know how you like it. couple guys at my LBS have had good things to say about the other new releases from Intense.

Well.

Obviously not.

Just be careful man. We worry about you.
    Dude don't say "be careful"! It's bad luck, and lame. The phrase you're looking for is "Ride fast, take chances!" Also, *close* to it's limits I guess.

Back story on that frame snap is he had already cased that jump just like that a number of times. Don't know if he was trying to break the bike or what. In any case, Intense had him back up and running on a new frame in a week. No worries here.

Winter 2017 Random MTB Talk Thread

Speaking of snapping carbon.

LOLZ

Fuuuck....
    Last edited by beaterdit; 03-26-2017 at 06:48 PM.

That sux.

Shit, you have any big hits to the cranks previously?

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    Shit, you have any big hits to the cranks previously?
    For sure, they've taken a hell of a beating for the better part of three seasons. Still, prolly go with the SIXC for replacements. Or I'll just keep the SRAM Descendants that come on the bike if they're 170s. Coincidentally, in the last three days I've seen three other friends with busted or cracked Next SL cranks. Tis the season!

Looks like they're still under warranty so we'll see what Raceface has to say.

Damn, hope they treat you nicely in the warranty. I've got SixCs, no issues after a year, don't smash cranks a ton but have had a few hits and seem to have held up just fine.

Wow. Kind of glad to see that. I've been waffling on a set of those. Pretty much the only crank that makes a huge weight difference. Maybe not worth the $475 buy in though.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Haven't seen or heard of many failures of RF cranks, they do a lot to beef up the pedal insert to carbon connection. Sadly, I guess everything has a breaking point.

Speaking of snapping carbon.

LOLZ

Fuuuck....

I told you you can't have nice things.

Be careful.

For sure, they've taken a hell of a beating for the better part of three seasons.
    Haven't seen or heard of many failures of RF cranks, they do a lot to beef up the pedal insert to carbon connection. Sadly, I guess everything has a breaking point.
    Wasn't there a thread on here about people ripping out the metal inserts in carbon RF cranks? I thought I read that they changed the shape of the insert for better retention, no idea if and when though.

Yeah, I remember seeing the patent, they basically just made a lot of notches in the metal for carbon to bond to as much surface area as possible before curing. Not sure if these are the new or old design, hard to tell. I think they put that design in place when the old next sl (not the new g4) cranks came out.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Wasn't there a thread on here about people ripping out the metal inserts in carbon RF cranks? I thought I read that they changed the shape of the insert for better retention, no idea if and when though.
    Gunder definitely had some posts about breaking SRAM carbon cranks awhile back.

Sram carbon cranks are death traps.

I've seen a few (like 3 now) of those next SLs going. They usually looked pretty bashed to shit.

Sram though? Be careful.

Yeah, I remember seeing the patent, they basically just made a lot of notches in the metal for carbon to bond to as much surface area as possible before curing. Not sure if these are the new or old design, hard to tell. I think they put that design in place when the old next sl (not the new g4) cranks came out.
    Yeah these are the new inserts for sure, you can see it a kittle in the pic, it's got two offset rows of star shaped rings.

I told you you can't have nice things.

Be careful.

Goddamnit!!!

I can't find the old emojis

So my cranks were definitely beat to shit. RF says $240 crash replacement for new G4s. I'll take it. Prolly run them too honestly.