Thread: zag ubach xl

zag ubach xl

Any body know anything about the ZAG ubac xl? or ZAG skis in general
    it doesnt realli matter as long you as you remember to wake up and go skiing

I know a little about Zag in general.

They were (one of?) the first company to add tip rocker to a cambered ski with the 'big 94/84' skis back in about 2002. They started in Les Arc or Bourg St Morice area but now have a shop/headquarters in Argentiere just up the road from Chamonix.

Nice skis, never skied any myself but had friends ski the Ubac and the slap with good reviews.

They're built in the Nobile Poland factory who have a decent reputation (they make Faction, Down, Black Crows, White Dot and other indie brands' skis). I considered the Ubac XL as my bigger touring ski at one point but went for something heavier in the end. A 200lbs judo black belt ski buddy of mine who likes the occasional barroom brawl skied the 188 with Dynafits for a while in Chamonix and told me they were "better than expected in hard/cruddy snow given its weight, but I would only feel comfortable skiing it fast in soft snow" when I asked him about them over summer. Hand flex is medium-firm. Sounds like a decent compromise ski if that's what you're looking for. Compare the Zero G 108 specs, price and reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    who likes the occasional barroom brawl .

What a great night that was.

Bump for any more info or reviews on the UBAC XL?

My inbounds DD is older 191 billygoats. 6'3" 220 ski fast and jump things. A 188 length touring daily driver for the Wasatch with 108 underfoot and a med stiff flex under 4 lbs a ski sounds good on paper. Im super budget focused and found a good price on a pair. Plan would be binding freedom inserts for dynafit vert st on these and my Voile Drifters for the deep days (which have been my touring DD for years).

https://youtu.be/nWnYINe15JI
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Not sure if Im freerando thought. Do I have to wear spandex? #dealbreaker
    Bunny Don't Surf

Zag still exists?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Afaik
    Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    They're built in the Nobile Poland factory who have a decent reputation (they make Faction, Down, Black Crows, White Dot and other indie brands' skis). I considered the Ubac XL as my bigger touring ski at one point but went for something heavier in the end. A 200lbs judo black belt ski buddy of mine who likes the occasional barroom brawl skied the 188 with Dynafits for a while in Chamonix and told me they were "better than expected in hard/cruddy snow given its weight, but I would only feel comfortable skiing it fast in soft snow" when I asked him about them over summer. Hand flex is medium-firm. Sounds like a decent compromise ski if that's what you're looking for. Compare the Zero G 108 specs, price and reviews.
    We used to build our skis at Nobile. Not the last two seasons, though.

Carry on.

Sent from my SM-G900F using TGR Forums mobile app
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Taked to a guy selling a few pair out of his online Connecticut golf business. They are a touring ski, so, flappy at speed and in no way bomber.

I almost picked up the Zag Z One, but opted for the Head Venturi 95s, which skiers at SkiPass liked a lot more.

Check out the reviews here:

http://www.skipass.com/guide-matos/ski/2017/zag/

The drop down Zag button lists the reviews by year.
    Last edited by charles martel; 10-01-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Oh man the reviews on that site, after teh googlez translates to Murican! are stellar

Super skis, rather light for their width and therefore practical uphill. On descent, the rocker is appreciable but could be more pronounced to pass more freely everywhere. The sound on hard snow is quite surprising but not disturbing. 
    The maintenance of the skis requires a certain mastery: it is necessary to balance well its supports to guarantee the stability of the spatulas in speed and snow traffolee. Beware of thighs that tend to heat quickly, sometimes it is necessary to press to stabilize and to have fun. In short, my feminine thighs have somewhat accused of fatigue to give good skiing but the best way to know remains to test!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Oh man the reviews on that site, after teh googlez translates to Murican! are stellar

Super skis, rather light for their width and therefore practical uphill. On descent, the rocker is appreciable but could be more pronounced to pass more freely everywhere. The sound on hard snow is quite surprising but not disturbing. 
    The maintenance of the skis requires a certain mastery: it is necessary to balance well its supports to guarantee the stability of the spatulas in speed and snow traffolee. Beware of thighs that tend to heat quickly, sometimes it is necessary to press to stabilize and to have fun. In short, my feminine thighs have somewhat accused of fatigue to give good skiing but the best way to know remains to test!
    Did you pick this review because you, too, have feminine thighs?

Ive always considered them svelte ... let me shave my legs and get back to you
    Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Ive always considered them svelte ... let me shave my legs and get back to you
    You got me all pumped up and then leave me hanging.................

Not feminine. Too muscly and too many veins. But i ended up much more aerodynamic and have taken up road biking as a result
    Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by charles martel View Post
    Taked to a guy selling a few pair out of his online Connecticut golf business. They are a touring ski, so, flappy at speed and in no way bomber.

I almost picked up the Zag Z One, but opted for the Head Venturi 95s, which skiers at SkiPass liked a lot more.

Check out the reviews here:

http://www.skipass.com/guide-matos/ski/2017/zag/

The drop down Zag button lists the reviews by year.
    I've tried H112 in 195 or 193 around 5 years ago and it was most demanding skis I can remember. The only ski I can compare is El Dictator. Other skis had tech bindings installed and I was on alpine boots.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app