Feeler - Pieps DSP with NO SOUND

I recently replaced my Pieps DSP (the older version which predates the Sport / Pro generation) because the sound function stopped working at the start of the season. I fished it out of the storage box and dropped it (in its holster). It turned on fine but didn't beep and won't make a sound in search mode. I took it to BD and they won't warranty it since I've already exchanged it once (for an E error).
    There is no external damage, the beacon transmits and receives fine, it's just mute. I toured with it early season and took it out constantly to make sure it wasn't doing anything weird, tested it multiple time during 2 outing, and it picks up other beacons / is visible to other beacons every time.

I guess it would be a decent buy for anyone who needs a backup, a practice beacon, something for the dog, or who knows someone who could get it through warranty.
    Not sure what to do price-wise so I'll ask the collective. Is $100 shipped ridiculous? Comes with the holster.

Edit: just in case, it's this model:

Name:  Pieps_DSP_large.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  29.9 KB

Bump for actual pics.
    Some interest but nothing concrete. I should mention that I didn't exactly push the matter with BD and they're notoriously good with getting those things warrantied (they exchanged this one once for an E04 error even though I hadn't bought it from them and had no proof of purchase and couldn't even tell the year it was from).

Name:  Pieps_01.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  218.6 KB

Name:  Pieps_02.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  165.4 KB

Name:  Pieps_03.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  196.3 KB

Name:  Pieps_04.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  370.4 KB

PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I guess it would be a decent buy for anyone who needs a backup, a practice beacon, something for the dog, or who knows someone who could get it through warranty.
    457KHz beacons NEVER go on dogs!

This beacon is not safe to use for anything but practice searches. There could be other impending or undiscovered issues and the lack of sound both slows down the search and makes a searcher have to be face down to beacon at all times so they won't be looking at the debris for surface clues.

Comes with the holster.
    I'd tell you NOT to include the holster in order to discourage backcountry use.
    This is a practice target only.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    This beacon is not safe to use for anything but practice searches. There could be other impending or undiscovered issues and the lack of sound both slows down the search and makes a searcher have to be face down to beacon at all times so they won't be looking at the debris for surface clues.
    Agreed. I hope it's pretty obvious that this beacon is not to be used as a primary device for avalanche safety. I only suggested a bunch of other possible uses, my preference being target practice, but I'm not about to tell people what to do. If anyone's feeling good about using a semi-functional beacon to get dug out of a slide, they're certainly beyond the reach of a reasonable suggestion.

457KHz beacons NEVER go on dogs!
    Agreed, it's not something I personally recommend or agree with (I never skied with my dog when she was alive and generally don't like being around dogs in the BC). I know a number of people who use a regular beacon on their canine, the rationale being that the dog isn't going to be using the search mode on its own. I'm not sure how these people plan on dealing with a multiple burial scenario involving their partner and dog. I'm not sure they've thought about it...

I'd tell you NOT to include the holster in order to discourage backcountry use.
    This is a practice target only.
    Fair point. The Pieps holster is kinda nice though and people recycle them. Guess I could sell it separately.

If anyone's feeling good about using a semi-functional beacon to get dug out of a slide, they're certainly beyond the reach of a reasonable suggestion.
    Buyers who don't know better... and really their unsuspecting partners who are the ones who would be searched for...

I'm not sure how these people plan on dealing with a multiple burial scenario involving their partner and dog.
    That is the biggest problem... when you dig up a dog... and then a dead owner.

Poor OP. I would have specified exactly what was suggested - target use only. It's pretty clear what he thinks of the beacon.

Of course, there's nothing to stop the purchaser from doing as he pleases, irrespective of assessments/recommendations.

This brings up a whole 'nuther question - best left for the slide zone. How does your risk mgt. line up with your partner's? We usually only think of this in terms of decision making and such - not do much about safety gear (except for trailhead beacon check).

I have a buddy who's a cheap sunnuvabitch. The inner cable on his probe is loose and he has to watch for dropped parts (ferrule). Needless to say, I only ski with him inbounds.

I've watched this knucklehead spend 2-3 minutes assembling it.

The good news (for me), is that I know this about him.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Poor OP. I would have specified exactly what was suggested - target use only. It's pretty clear what he thinks of the beacon.
    Of course, there's nothing to stop the purchaser from doing as he pleases, irrespective of assessments/recommendations.
    In hindsight I should have been more clear about the fact that I don't consider this a functional beacon for the purpose of touring in avalanche terrain. If I did I'd have kept it for a few more years (I am pretty cheap too). I'm selling it because I have an old Tracker for target practice and I didn't want to spend too much time trying to work something out with BD.

Somebody bought it a few hours ago and we've exchanged PMs about the above. He knows what he's getting and plans on trying to get it warrantied. If offered to buy it back for him if it doesn't work out. If it comes back my way I'll donate it to the UAC or anyone who's willing to pay shipping and use it for practice.

You are a good man sir! I was thinking along the same lines. A donor target beacon for an avy class.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

That is the biggest problem... when you dig up a dog... and then a dead owner.
    There are people that don't see that as a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    There are people that don't see that as a problem.
    The dog does

donate it to the UAC or anyone who's willing to pay shipping and use it for practice.
    If you do decide to donate, I volunteer with a 501(c)3 non-profit that provides free avalanche awareness classes. We would be able to use it as a target beacon for demonstration purposes. Your donation would be tax deductible.