Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Chromapop - everyday and storm

Anyone using these? I need new goggles but cannot find real world feedback, or even anything on the crappy smith site that would tell me how these things perform.

In full sun, I tend to rock the glasses, so not sure the sun lens is for me.

So looking for low light viz lens (chromapop storm) and the chromapop everyday that would work for overcast days where the sun might come out.

How good is the low light? Not trying to see a gnats ass, but snow texture in a storm is nice. RC36 has been my standard. Have had sensor mirror, which are better than RC36 in very flat, but too bright if the sun comes out.
    . . .

Similar to the sensor mirror not much better or worse THey are my daily use lens in the CND rockies.

I've compared the Storm to Blue Sensor mirror on a storm day and the Everyday to Ignitor on a clear day where light was very flat in the shadows. Neither Chromopop was any better or any worse than the non-Chromopop. When I cut myself the Everyday made my blood look pink. the Storm has less VLT than the Blue Sensor but that didn't seem to matter. I wouldn't pay extra for Chromopop. My son has skied the Sun--felt it was too dark for December below tree line. He switched to Ignitor and was happier.

Chromapop - everyday and storm

For a storm lens, the yellow sensor is THE lens.
    I looked through the chromopop at my local shop outside with snow on the ground. I looked at both lenses you are on a sunny day and a snowy low vis day. I brought my red sol-x, blue sensor and my yellow sensor. I was very underwhelmed at the chromopop lens. The Yellow sensor was way better than the storm in contrast on snow and vlt. The every day was no better than my sol-x in sun or overcast. Glad I didn't impulse buy the chromopop and grabbed the yellow sensor this summer to compliment my other two.

Some consensus that chroma storm is similar to (blue) sensor mirror in flat light?

But what about VLT:
    Chroma Storm 50%
    Blue Sensor 60%
    Yellow Sensor 65%

Is the Chroma Storm more comfortable if the sun comes out?
    And if it has similar snow texture to the Blue Sensor that could be a win for me.
    I tend not to use my Blue Sensor - any sun is wayy too bright.

Interesting that they made 3 chroma lenses, and the lightest is only 50% VLT?
    Particularly when they are the easy change lenses.

Why would there not be a full on storm/fog chromapop with a VLT up to 60 or 65%?
    . . .

This season I came from oakley airbrake and a variety of those lenses including prism. Not stoked on io frame but am with lenses.
    I feel like I can use the storm or the sun chromapop lens pre bell to post bell and not have sacrificed alot.
    I don't feel like my eyes are fried at the end of a day using the storm in the sun and I don't feel strained at the end using the sun in a storm.
    I put it down to good uv filter and chromapop providing good contrast.

Which lense sheds snow best on white room days?
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Some consensus that chroma storm is similar to (blue) sensor mirror in flat light?

But what about VLT:
    Chroma Storm 50%
    Blue Sensor 60%
    Yellow Sensor 65%

Is the Chroma Storm more comfortable if the sun comes out?
    And if it has similar snow texture to the Blue Sensor that could be a win for me.
    I tend not to use my Blue Sensor - any sun is wayy too bright.

Interesting that they made 3 chroma lenses, and the lightest is only 50% VLT?
    Particularly when they are the easy change lenses.

Why would there not be a full on storm/fog chromapop with a VLT up to 60 or 65%?
    I assume that there's something about the chromopop process that won't allow better VLT than 50%. Just a guess.
    It does seem like the Storm would be a good lens for mixed conditions, although I'm happy with Ignitor for those days.

I have the Chromapop Storm and Chromapop Everyday. The Storm is not as good as a good yellow IMO. I have a buddy with the yellow, and his yellows have more definition in low light than the Storm does.

And yesterday (Bluebird) I had to swap to my everyday lens mid-run because it was simply too bright.

The storm cromapop is definitely better than the blue sensor mirror in low light and is significantly better when the sun is visible. Yellow sensor mirror beats all of them in whiteout conditions.

For me, the everyday chromapop is the winner. I use ignitor mirror most days, and the everyday chromapop has much better contrast in a wide range of conditions. I haven't used the everyday on a bluebird day yet. My real feeling is the chromapop series is better than the past offerings by a noticeable margin but the original line was very good too.

Quick update to say the chromapop everyday works fine in bluebird conditions. Might need a darker lens if skiing south facing slopes on cloudless days, but I doubt it

That's about right

I agree with that. Yesterday I skied a north facing slope in January bluebird conditions with Chromapop Sun. Excellent clarity in the sun but dropping into a shaded gully the Chromapop Sun was too dark. I think "need" is too strong a word but if you are in full sun all day the Chromapop Sun is good to have.
    IMO, the conditions for the Chromapop lenses would be:

Chromapop Sun: Late season/spring bluebird days, or a zero shade south facing slope
    Chromapop Everyday: Early-mid season bluebird to partly cloudy days, or non-south facing slopes where you pop between sun/shade
    Chromapop Storm: Mostly cloudy to greybird days
    Sensor Yellow: Very dark/whiteout days with zero chance of sun popping through

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    In full sun, I tend to rock the glasses,
    how rawj of you

Quote Originally Posted by m4fff1 View Post
    I agree with that. Yesterday I skied a north facing slope in January bluebird conditions with Chromapop Sun. Excellent clarity in the sun but dropping into a shaded gully the Chromapop Sun was too dark. I think "need" is too strong a word but if you are in full sun all day the Chromapop Sun is good to have.
    IMO, the conditions for the Chromapop lenses would be:

Chromapop Sun: Late season/spring bluebird days, or a zero shade south facing slope
    Chromapop Everyday: Early-mid season bluebird to partly cloudy days, or non-south facing slopes where you pop between sun/shade
    Chromapop Storm: Mostly cloudy to greybird days
    Sensor Yellow: Very dark/whiteout days with zero chance of sun popping through
    Not everyone on this forum is in the Northern Hemisphere you know.

Im a firm believer in the Yellow sensor in low light. I really like my chromapop sunglasses and I am excited to see the expanded chromapop line for next year, specifically the storm yellow with vlt 65%. Plus I am a complete Smith lens slut, 8 new chromapop lenses for next year

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Not everyone on this forum is in the Northern Hemisphere you know.
    Well, you know you're upside down. Do the math.

Well, ended up with a pair of these. Very nice lenses.

Chroma Storm is my everyday lens. Not quite as high def as the old sensor mirror, but no pain or squint when the sun comes out. wayy better than the RC36 that had been my go to lens.

No experience on the Chroma everyday yet. Honestly, its a PIA to change the lenses out, and its so much easier to just swap to sunglasses if its that bright, I wonder if I will ever use them.
    . . .

smith will have a complete new full range of chromapop next year, really confuse but lenses from 9 to 65% vlt, I'm using an everyday and storm and honestly can't tell the difference from blue sensor, the everyday is definitely not as dark as my blackout and green sol but that't expected!

Where are all these people needing all those Chroma Pop Sun series? Where is it sunny all the time and people are skiing solar aspects but not in the trees?

Storm Yellow flash does look nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Where are all these people needing all those Chroma Pop Sun series? Where is it sunny all the time and people are skiing solar aspects but not in the trees?
    I have the Chromapop sun lens and it works surprisingly well in low light conditions.

I recently A-B tested the chromapop storm against the Oakley prizm hi-pink on a very stormy low vis day. No comparison for me, the Oakley lense was far superior in low and flat light to my eyes. Another day I did the same with the chromapop everyday vs the prizm jade. I found the jade to be much better in both lowlight/shadows in trees and bright light in the alpine. I felt the jade provided more contrast and clarity in all conditions. It pains me as I am a huge Smith fan boy, but in my opinion Oakley's prizm lenses are better than the current chromapop offerings. I was so impressed I scooped a pair of flight deck XMs and sold my I/Os to a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

Storm Yellow flash does look nice.
    Mammoth. SoCal. Hood. Park skier market. Hell, park skiers in CO. But yeah, point taken generally.

I concur that the Storm Yellow is the most attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quick update to report chromapop storm suffers the same blue rainbows and sun bursts as the blue sensor when wet. Yellow sensor is the clear storm day winner

Anyone with any info on the storm yellow flash vs yellow sensor? The storm flash has a rose base tint as opposed to yellow for the sensor. I was thinking the yellow would be the best for flat light but the smith guy says the chromapop will be better.

I have used the traditional Smith lenses for several seasons, after converting from Oakley and seeing the light. :-)
    The ones I had was the Blue Sensor, Photochromic (my favorite), Ignitor, Red Sol-X and Green Sol-X.
    Last season, I got all the three ChromaPop lenses.
    Now, that was a new experience! Long story short; I love ChromaPop. They are better than the old range in every way. They are far better than my Oakley Prizm (rose and black iridium) goggles.
    The big thing with ChromaPop, besides the fact that they really work and provide better colours and less eye strain, is that they are extremely versatile. They seem to render old VLT wisdom useless. You can use the Storm lenses in the sun, and you can use the sun lenses in overcast, shady slopes. They still work, much better than any other lens I have ever tried. And that is quite a lot in more than 40 years of skiing!

Now, last years ChromaPop Storm (now the Storm Rose Flash) was maybe not as good as the Blue Sensor in extreme flat light. Maybe, I am not sure. They are different. The Blue Sensor is lighter, but does not provide the same natural colour. They do not light up ice in the same way as the ChromaPops. Blue sensor might have a small edge in the worst flat light conditions, but overall they are inferior to the ChromaPop counterpart. I just don't use the Blue Sensor any more. Never.

This season, being a lens geek and a newly convinced ChromaPop addict, I got a bunch of the new ChromaPops. I got the Yellow Storm, the Everyday Green, the Everyday Violet (for my wife, it is really PINK :-D) the Photochromic and the Platinum sun. Together with the three from last year, and a bunch of friends with similar lenses, we started trying them out.

Now, the Everyday Green, which five of my friends also got, is a different thing than the others. I don't know what Smith did here, but it is strange. The moment you put it on, it paints your world completely, bright pink. Then, after a minute or two, it all looks natural. They obviously play with your brain, is it just to make a statement about the technology? The other ChromaPops don't do this, they represent more natural colours immediately. Anyway, the Everyday Green is a great lens, extremely versatile as last years Everyday (red). It handles both overcast, shades and sun in a way I have never experienced before. I still like the red slightly better, but that is a matter of taste.
    Now, the CP Storm Yellow Flash. It is, hands down, the best flat light lens ever. It is without a doubt better than the Blue Sensor in every way. The versatility is unbelievable, and the flat light performance is impressive. Then add the ChromaPop benefits. Just wow.
    I just got the new ChromapPop Photochromic Rose Flash this week, skied with them all day today. From early morning dusk, through shades and full blue skies direct sun, and shifting conditions from bright sun on the top of the mountain to dark valleys. This is my new favourite lens from now on. They are totally different to look at compared to the old Photochromic. The old ones had a red "iridium fire" look, the new ones has a pretty solid blue mirror. Like the Blue (and yellow) Storm, just bluer and more mirror. Looks very cool! From the inside, they have a blue hue like the old ones, but like all ChromaPops, the provide much more natural, neutral colours. So the blueness from the inside is very subtle, much nicer than the old ones. Colours look great, like they should. The image is calm, natural and very relaxing. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind; ChromaPop is the real deal. I will not use the traditional Smith lenses again, they are obsolete in every way.
    The other ones? The Everyday Violet I just barely tried, my wife loves it. Seems similar to the Everyday Red, but with a slight amber hue. Natural and great colours.
    The Platinum Sun I havn't tried yet, sun is too low at this time of year. Will give it a shot soon. If it is as good as last years Sun (green), it is extremely versatile too. Probably very useful in most conditions except dusk, dark and flat light.